Expect

At Long Last

The change, when it came, was not just for the two, but for them all. Finally, the day the boys had been working so incredibly hard for arrived. November 26, 2019 – when they all stood on the stage and accepted their first ever daesang. Jaebeom couldn’t stop the smile that felt like it was splitting his face in half, surrounded by s, watching like a proud dad as they showcased their extraordinary talent once again by thanking their fans in 4 different languages. He wanted to soak this moment in and forever remember it exactly like this, ah but with one change – as surreptitiously as he could (not very) he sidled next to Jinyoung and clasped their hands together.

 

Their eyes met and Jaebeom saw Jinyoung too was overflowing with joy. This was a special victory especially for them, the two boys who had started on this journey so many years prior, who had failed once and worked hard steering their ragtag family for the past years wondering why, despite all they had to offer, the world had not recognized them.

 

Jaebeom slipped an arm around Jinyoung and joined the rest of their group. Celebration was a given tonight. All seven of them with their various managers, stylist noonas, and other staff tumbled into a restaurant where they all spent the next several hours raucously partying until they exhausted themselves. Finally, the managers corralled all seven of them into 2 cars to deposit them safely home.

 

As they approach Jinyoung’s apartment he silently reaches for Jaebeom’s hand, tugging at it and staring hard at him. Jaebeom, equally silent, follows Jinyoung out when the car pulls up to Jinyoung’s entrance, patting a passed out Yugyeom on the shoulder as he exits. They take the elevator up in silence too, simply holding each other’s hand tightly and enjoying the thrill of it. Silence still reigns as they enter the apartment as they take off their shoes and listlessly drift into the kitchen.

 

Jaebeom had just poured a glass of water when Jinyoung clears his throat, prompting Jaebeom to turn around and face him. Another moment of just staring at each other passes before Jinyoung takes the first tentative step towards Jaebeom, “we did it.”

 

“Ye-yeah I guess we did.”

 

Another step, “do you think we made it now?”

 

Both of them never break eye contact as Jinyoung slowly inches closer, one step at a time. “Do you think we made it now hyung?”

 

Jaebeom reaches out tentatively, almost like he’s afraid sudden movement would shatter the delicate dance they had just entered, to snag around Jinyoung’s waist and pull him the last couple of inches so they are intimately close now, breathe mixing and the pupils of Jinyoung’s eyes in painful focus. Jinyoung curls his hands into the fabric of Jaeboem’s shirt and stares back, eyes conveying a mixture of mischief, eagerness and unbearable fondness.

 

After a few more seconds of just looking at Jinyoung, Jaebeom slowly starts to smile, feeling a rush of affection take over as Jinyoung mirrors him. They both start to laugh a little breathlessly before Jaebeom kisses Jinyoung with conviction for the first time since all those years ago, smiling into each other’s mouth, sweetly clumsy and awkward with laughter.

 

Pulling back a little, Jaebeom rests his forehead against Jinyoung’s and says with all the seriousness in the world, “Park Jinyoung, I love you and I am never letting you go now, you know that right?”

 

Jinyoung for his part starts to peck kisses all over Jaebeom’s face laughingly punctuating each kiss with an, “I love you too Jaebongie” before he pauses to mock glare at Jaebeom, “and you know I’m never letting you let go of me right?” before he collapses back into Jaebeom in laughter and pulls him in for a longer kiss.

 

November 26th, 2019 – yes it was a time for change and man, had it been worth it.