Second encounter

Chance encounter

 

I didn’t expect to see her so soon. We’d hardly communicated at all since that night. I was planning on asking her out at some point, but it seems destiny had other plans.

I suddenly sit straighter lighting up when I see her sitting alone at her table in the café. I can’t help but stare a little because in this light I can see clearly and she’s even more stunning than I remember. I clutch my coffee debating whether or not I should go up to her or not. Would it be creepy? I look away and pursing my lips. It’s truly just a chance encounter, it’s not weird, if anything it’s fate. Or so I’d like to think.

I look up at her again and notice she seems to be watching some guy herself. She keeps raising her head from her phone glancing at him, looking like she was straining her ears.

Was this a guy she was interested in or was she just being creepy? It made me second guess approaching her… but then again even if I end up being just a friend, it was my duty to tell her how obvious she was being right?

Whatever my reasons were, I decided I was just going to approach her anyway. I mean, we definitely had something going on the other night, right? Right. I internally sigh.

Here I was rambling in head on my way to her, questioning myself only to make myself more nervo- “Hey,” I sit down across from her startling her from her focus on the guy a couple seats away from us. She jumps slightly and looks at me with wide eyes.

“Oh my god, Moonbyul!” She whisper yells. “You scared me.”
“I’m sorry, really.” I chuckled at her big expression. My smile doesn’t fade, and I quickly gain in little confidence, enough to even lean back a little in my seat, making myself appear completely relaxed. “You’re being kind of obvious by the way.”

She tries to play it off, giving me a horribly acted confused face. “Obvious about what? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I finally lean forward to whisper to her. “Obvious about the fact that you’re staring at that guy a few tables away from us.”  I try to say this without any hint of jealousy in my voice. I’m sure I’m successful, but it stings to even have to feel that way.

She immediately blushes, but despite her embarrassment a smile breaks her features. She sinks a little in her seat sheepishly and groans softly. “Oh god.” She rolls her eyes at herself, then looks at me with hopeless eyes, and whispers, “You don’t think he noticed do you?”

I don’t bother to glance at him knowing he was too engrossed in the video call he was having to have noticed anything. “Honestly, don’t worry, I think you’re in the clear.” I chuckle awkwardly quickly trying to debate with myself whether it’s okay for me to ask why she was trying to listen in on him. But eh, it’s on her for being so obvious, so I do. “What’s he saying that’s so interesting to you anyway?”

She sits back up straight and makes a funny face. “Honestly, I’m doing this as a favor for my friend.” She brings her hand up to her face and stares at me seriously. “I mean it’s kinda crazy, right?”

I know my eyes brighten as soon as I hear she wasn’t spying for herself, but I’m unconcerned, she doesn’t know why. “Yeah, it is.” I nod in agreeance. “Why does she have you spying on him?” I feel my eyebrows pull together in genuine curiosity.

“Oh she thinks he’s cheating on her,” She rolls her eyes. “I don’t think he is, but I promised her I would do this for her since I haven’t met him yet. She has a flare for the dramatic.”

I shrug, and toss my head to the side displaying that I’m not totally in agreeance with her. “Maybe she’s not worried for no reason, unless she’s paranoid, I mean, I’m sure she’d be able to tell if he was acting differently.”

I looked back at her and was met with a look full of pity. I hate being pitied, and it had been happening a lot lately since my ex. I knew what she was thinking, and I deny it quickly. “No, I wasn’t cheated on.” I brushed her off. “I just can imagine, I guess.” I tap my finger against the table awkwardly.

“Maybe you’re right,” She seems to give in. “But, if you knew my friend you’d know what I mean. Although perhaps I should give her more credit than that. I don’t know what has her thinking he’s being unfaithful.” She purses her lips thoughtfully then sighs. “He ain’t doing anything right now though. From what I could catch, it sounded like business.”

“If you really want to find out you gotta take his phone.” I didn’t say that with any actual weight, but when I saw the look on Solar’s face, I knew I planted a bad idea in her head.

“That would be crazy,” She chuckled like she was trying to talk herself out of it.

“Yeah that would be.” I tried to assure her and fuel her reasonable brain. “It would be crossing a line.”

A slow mischievous smile grew on her face anyway clearly disregarding my last comment. “You have to help me get it without him knowing.”

“What?” I gave her a flabbergasted look. “It was just a joke.”

“Yeah, but you’re right it is the best way to find out the truth. My friend deserves to be with someone who wants to be with her and only her.”

What could I say to that? It was for honorable intention but what would happen if we got caught? We’d be banned from this coffee shop, and honestly it’s one of my favorite ones.

I sigh. My hesitation was for unhonorable reasons and anyway she was cute so it’s not like I was ever going to say no anyway.

“Alright, how do you want to go about this?”

She hummed. “You spill your coffee on him then do a little flirting, and I’ll grab it right from under his nose.”

“I can’t flirt with a man,” I really didn’t mean to say it with so much disgust, but honestly it just came out.

Solar smiled knowingly at me almost making me blush at my accidental admission. “It’s just acting.” She points out.

“I know, but I don’t think I can physically do it. Really it would just be awkward and embarrassing. You do it.” Not exactly something I’d like to see but considering the alternative…

“No way! Plus, eventually I’m going to have to meet him.”

“That’s assuming he’s not cheating.” I point out figuratively and literally.

She covers up a laugh with a cough. “Good point but still…” She raises her hands frustrated. “So what else can we do?”

I bring my fingers up to my lips and tap them. It’s a habit I do when I’m thinking. Since I threw away her last plan I have to come up with something else.

Just as I’m about to suggest we try her original plan without flirting, the boyfriend in question gets up and starts walking towards our table. I notice that he put his phone in his back pocket and know exactly what I’m going to have to do. I’m never thought I’d resort to this, but for a girl like Solar, I’d be willing to do a lot of questionable things. It’s a curse really.

Just as he walks past me, I turn my body slightly and discreetly grab his phone and it easily slides out as he continues walking.

When I turn back towards her, Solar is wearing the funniest, biggest shocked face I’ve ever seen. Yeah, it was worth it.

“I can’t believe you just did that,” Her wide eyes turned to impressed after a moment. “It was so smooth too.”

I shrug like it wasn’t a big deal, but I was feeling just as shocked on the inside. It could have been my best moment or my worst moment, depended on who you ask. I was mostly thankful no one else had noticed. Then we would have had to deal with that disaster. I shudder at the thought, but it was exhilarating for sure. I’m not exactly sure if I liked the exhilaration or not just yet. Eh, I’ll explore my feelings on it later.

 “Maybe we should ditch the scene before he realizes he’s missing something.”
She nods heartily in agreement and gets up with me. I put it on the inside of my jacket as we walk out the door of the café. We make sure to turn in the opposite direction of her friend’s possibly cheating boyfriend.

Is it bad that I kind of want him to be cheating so I don’t feel so bad about stealing from the guy?

After a block she turns to me and shouts, “Oh my god that was amazing!” She grabs my shoulders excited and shakes me. “I’m so glad you were there!”

I laugh at her antics, not even worried about the people around us, which is a first, and try to play it cool. “I’m honestly as shocked about it as you, but hey maybe I was a professional pickpocketer in another life.”

“You probably were!” She giggles cutely and shakes me once more for good measure. For a second, I think almost hugs me, but instead she takes a small step back.

“Can I see it?” Her bright eyes and happiness are killing me like I couldn’t believe.

“Of course.” I reach in my jacket and give it to her.

Suddenly she stares at the phone in her hand gravely, holding it delicately. Her eyebrows pull together in worry.

“If this phone has a lock, all of that would have been for nothing.” Before I can respond she taps the screen, it lights up, and she groans. “Of course it has a lock, he’s a cheater!” She punches the screen in an adorable fit.

“Wow, that’s a pretty big leap. Most people have locks on their phone.” But I’m laughing despite my comment. She’s just got a natural comedic aspect to her that I can’t get enough of. “I can help with that anyway. I work in tech.”

She looks at me amazed again. “You’re joking.”

I shake my head already seeing the excitement building up in her once again. I have never been happier to have the career I do.

“I swear meeting you was fate.” This time it seems she can’t help herself. She leaps at me and hugs me, of course I hug back and can’t help but note that she smells amazing. The hug itself was like… I don’t think I’ll ever think about my ex ever again. She pulls back and keeps her hands on my shoulders giving me a hopeful look. “I don’t mean to be a bother, but if you’re not busy right now, I’d love to get a look at this baby.” She slightly nods at the phone in her hand.

Solar didn’t seem all that into this mission her friend sent her on when I first started talking to her, but now  she’s acting like this is the only thing that mattered. My heart flutters to think that maybe I have something to do with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

make my day by commenting a little something :D maybe? anyway love yall love mamamoo hurray