First encounter

Chance encounter

Forgetting her was the hardest thing I ever had to do, and I never really did it in the end. There was no way I could just pretend she never existed. She left a gaping hole in me and a little spackle wasn’t going to fix it. The best thing I could manage was placing a picture over the hole and pretend it wasn’t there. It was enough to fool everyone else, but I knew it was there. Maybe it worked sometimes when there was enough going on to distract me, but when things got quiet, it was the only thing I could think about.

Thinking about her is what drove me to our spot, and it’s where I finally got the closure I needed. I was staring at the skyline of our city thinking about where things went wrong when I thought I heard her laugh.

My eyebrows creased thinking maybe I was losing it, but no, I heard it again. I finally turned and saw her, looking as gorgeous as ever with someone new. It hurt. It really hurt, and seeing her laughing totally moved on… It didn’t make me mad like I thought it would. It made me rethink my whole stance on things. I was always someone that had a hard time letting go, and looking at her free from thoughts that would never change things forced me to release the hold I had on the past. It was done. It just was. She is free and I should be free too.

I ce more to look at the skyline, this time with a smile, because I realized that the hole in me was a mirage this whole time. I was as whole as always and I always would be.

With a new lightness to my step I decide to get some pizza. I really haven’t been eating much since the breakup and I deserved it.

It’s funny how my surroundings suddenly change around me when I have a better attitude. Maybe it’s because I actually raise my head to look around for once.

I finally get to the small local shop and feel comforted by the familiar atmosphere. I’m not a regular, but I’ve been here enough to recognize the people behind the counter.

“Hey, just a peperoni slice please.”

“Alright,” he taps the screen. “That’ll be $3.02”

I hand him a five and wave off the change, and am soon given a slice in exchange.

I walk out the door intending to eat the slice on my way home, but it seems the universe had other things in mind for me.

A girl who was looking back and walking fast ran right into me and my pizza fell right to the floor.

“Oh!” She exclaimed surprised. Then unexpectedly she grabbed me by my shoulders and looked at me as if she recognized me. “Oh my god, Soojung? I haven’t seen you in soo long.”

“Um,” I was about to deny the fact that I was Soojung but she gave my shoulders a hard squeeze and when I really looked at her expression, I realized that there beneath the surface was desperation, and she was asking for help. “I know!” I tried to recover. “What are you doing out here? Oh my god!” I said as if I had a revelation. “Are busy right now? Because I was just about to meet Joyeon, and I know she’d love to see you. Come with me.”

Moonbyul can see the relief wash through her and a genuine smile envelop her face as she realized she’d been helped by some random person on the street.

“That sounds amazing! I’ve been so bored.”

“Come on then. I’ll lead the way.”

After they’ve walked a block in silence, the girl looks behind her and sighs in relief.

“Thank you so much.” She stops and look me in the eyes, and I’m blown away by her beauty. “There was this man following me for a few blocks and I was getting pretty scared.”

I wave her off before putting my hands in my front pockets, suddenly feeling kind of nervous. “No problem. I’m always willing to help a girl in need.”

“I’m so sorry about your pizza by the way,” She laughed more in disbelief than out of humor. “I would be more than happy to reimburse you by the way.”

I slightly frowned at the thought of my sad lonely pizza tainted by the well-worn ground, but really all I could do was laugh. “Honestly, it’s fine. I shouldn’t be eating this late anyway. I’m just glad you’re safe.” I paused for a moment not wanting to leave without at least her name. “I’m Moonbyul by the way. Although Soojung is a nice name too.”

Solar’s smile was gleaming now, obviously not immune to the contagiousness of laughter. “It was the first name I could think of!” She laughed loudly maybe embarrassed. “I’m Solar, and I am so relieved to meet you.” She reached out for my hand and I gave it to her without hesitation. I thought she was just going to shake it, but she grasped it with both hands and squeezed it. It was then that I could see that she was much more shaken up then she looked.

“Solar,” I repeat loving the sound on my lips. “I don’t think I’ve ever come across that name before.”

“Well, it’s more of a nickname.” The street lights are just bright enough to see the slight blush that adorns her face.

“I love it.” She still has my hand and I don’t make a move to pull it away it feels nicer there than I’d care to admit, but we can’t just stand here forever. “Let me walk you home, Solar.”

“No-no no.” She finally dropped my hand waving her hands. “You’ve done enough already. Really.”

“I don’t mind at all. I was just gonna go home and do nothing anyway. Honestly, I’d be thankful to have the company.”

She made this face like she was scrutinizing my story, but eventually she let whatever thought she had go and smiled. “You’re a nice person.”

“I mean… I try to be one I guess, but truly this is more for me than you.”

“Whatever.” She laughed and pushed my arm. “I…” Her face got serious again looking at me for just a second, but I didn’t let my soft smile falter. “I’ll lead the way, Moonbyul.”

We took a few steps together in silence already pretty comfortable in each other’s company. I guess an act of comradery could do that.

“So what were you really up to tonight before that creepy dude started following you?”

I waited for the answer but after a minute or two of no response I turned to look at her hoping I didn’t overstep or something, and saw Solar clearly thinking something through. “Um, sorry. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.”

When she realized I was looking at her, she turned her eyes to me kind of startled. “No, I’m sorry. I was just… I was just leaving a friend’s house. We sort of separated on bad terms… I got caught up in thinking about it.” She must have saw that I was about to apologize again because she lifted her hand and waved it. “It’s not that bad really. What about you?” She said, clearly trying to get the attention off her. I let it slide without pushing. “Were you just out for a late night snack?”

“Uhh,” I hesitated. I could so easily say yes to that, but I was never really one to lie and the thought of lying to Solar for some reason didn’t sit well with me. I mean maybe we could see each other again... “Well actually I was just out moping about an Ex originally, but after seeing her happy with someone else… I got some closure and was ready to move on. The pizza was really more of a celebratory thing.” I chuckled feeling heat touch my cheeks. It sounded kind of dumb saying that out loud.

“Oh no!” She stopped and grabbed my arm looking at me appalled. “I knocked your celebratory pizza right out of your hands?”

I laughed at the expression on her face. It was a bit much for what was truly a small thing. “Yeah, you did. It’s okay though.” I gently tapped her shoulder. “Meeting you is truly better than that.”

Her face fell and she looked deeply into my eyes, making me think I’ve gone too far. “I’ve had that pizza many a times, and I find that hard to believe.”

I sighed relieved as soon as I heard her words. “You’re right I was just trying to be nice.”

She threw her head back laughing, clapping her hands and continued leading the way. “Alright,” She looked at me with what I hoped was a flirty smile, and murmured. “I like a girl with a little spunk.

I returned the smile then bit my lip so not to reveal just how happy that simple comment made me. “Good to hear.”

“I don’t mean to sound sappy either-”.

I turn to her quickly and interrupt her. “Either?” My eyebrows raised. “What I said was hardly sappy.”

A surprised laugh broke across her features. She was clearly loving the talkback. Seeing how easily I brought humor to face, formed butterflies in my stomach.

“Really? By whose standards.”

“I’d argue to say most people’s standards. It was… a simple comment.”

She laughed again, and the more I heard it the more I wanted to make her laugh. It was slightly obnoxious but totally charming.

“You’re right. I guess I don’t make a habit of making… simple comments as such.” She quieted but she still wore a smile.

“Okay, feel free to continue on with what you were about to say.”

She bumps my shoulder playfully. “I’m beginning to think you’re a mischievous one aren’t you?”

I shrug keeping my smile straight ahead waiting to hear what she had to say.

She chuckled again when she realized I was waiting for an answer. “I was just going to say that my night could have been nothing but disastrous if you hadn’t showed up and turned it all around. Thanks. I just wanted to say thanks.”

Before I could respond Solar stopped at a building and gestured to it. “This is me.”

I look up at the building disappointed our walk was coming to an end. So disappointed a rare surge of courage rushes through me allowing me to say, “You can thank me some other time by buying me another slice to make up for the one you made me drop.”

Lucky for me, she looks happy to hear it. “Okay,” she nodded enthusiastically. “I mean it’s the least I could do.” She grinned.

I could do nothing but grin back. “Great. I’ll give you my number so you can hit me up whenever you have time.” I reach out my hand and gesture for Solar’s phone.

I hand it back to her and almost decide to part with a wink to encourage her for next time, but I wasn’t brave enough for that and anyway, I wanted to make sure she got in safe. “Hope soon rather than later. Have a good night.”

“You too.” She says as she starts walking up her steps. “I can’t wait by the way.” She gives me one last parting smile and opens the door to her building disappearing just like that.

I sigh realizing that I already have a crush and I only just decided today that I was going to move on and live again. Positivity truly is a powerful .

I finally turn towards home, relieved that I wasn’t far from my own home. I’ve only gone about a block when I get an unknown text from an unknown number.

UNKNOWN: make sure to text me when you get home. I need to make sure YOU get home safe J

The biggest smile I’ve had in while adorns my face without my control and I can’t help but laugh and turn my face to the sky. I have to thank the universe for such a weird and wonderful encounter.

-----

if you want more let me know by commenting seriously I'm encouraged tenfold by your words