First Day Blues

She's The Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Excuse me, did you say you want me to turn you into your brother?”

Tzuyu nods, not seeing anything difficult in it.

And just like that, Elkie doubled in laughter. She holds on to her stomach and Tzuyu could’ve sworn she had never seen her laugh that hard. Well that’s Tzuyu for you. Funny when she’s not trying to be.

She sighs as she waits for Elkie to get over it. But seeing as it might take a while, she decides to follow Elkie’s movements with her eyes as she crosses her arms, tapping her foot.

Elkie wraps her hysterical fits of laughter by wiping a tear in her eye. “Ahh Tzuyu~~, you always brighten up my day.”

“I’m serious.”

“You look serious, but it’s funny as hell.”

Tzuyu keeps her lips pressed in a thin line, keeping her gaze on Elkie unchanged. Having enough, she went towards Elkie, puts her hands on her shoulder and shook her friend. “I’m serious, Elkie. I need you to help me be my brother.

“Sis, if you love me, you’ll do this.”

“That’s unfair and you know it.” Tzuyu says as she grabs another carrot to feed her horse.

It was a nice day and her brother had invited her to ride out. They’re identical twins, and if Tzuyu didn’t grew her hair out, they look exactly the same.

“Tzuyu, come on. You know I don’t want anything to do with Soccer! I want to be a in a band! And I got the apprenticeship I need. Please.”

Tzuyu sighs and leans her forehead into her horse’s as she rubs the side of its face. “Then why won’t you tell Dad all about it? I’m sure when he finds out you’re really good at it, he’ll support you.”

Tienchen scoffs and hops off of his horse to go near Tzuyu, leaning in almost whispering. Although they’re the only ones in the countryside, he still feels the need to be close, just in case the wind returns his words to the wrong ear. “The same reason you do golf even if you don’t ‘love’ it. Chou’s don’t have to like it, they just have to be great at it. And you don’t say NO to him.”

Tzuyu nods in understanding. She consciously puts her hand on her back, which is hurting a bit right now as a reminder of her previous League. It’s all worth it – she tells herself. She won first place. Just like what her father wanted—expected.

Tzuyu loves her brother the most in the world, and would do anything for him – the same way that he would for her. They’re twins, together since birth. They do everything together. But when they started showing potential to different fields, that’s the only time they started separating from each other.

Tzuyu sighs, “And what about me? They’ll look for me.”

“You see, that’s my point. You’re daddy’s little princess. The difference is, I’ll be there for school, while you could be there for vacation. You could say that you want to have a break before the next Season starts.”

Instead of continuing school, Tzuyu had been pulled to home schooling as she focus herself in golf. She excels in it sure, but just like her brother said: it’s not something she wants, it’s something she’s expected to be good at.

“Tien…--”

“I just need this okay? You’re right. If I can prove to him that what I’m doing is worth it, then maybe he’ll give me a chance. You know how it is with him. Results first before he considers it. So just be me for a few weeks, and then if I’m successful with this, then I won’t have to go to that school.”

“What if… you’re not successful?”

Tienchen sighs dejectedly, “Then I’ll be the son he wanted me to be.”

“We’re twins. It shouldn’t be that hard, right?”

“Yes, but your personalities are different. Tzuyu, as much as I’m begging you to pull a girl crush concept… you open your mouth and you’re screwed.”

Taking offense, Tzuyu creased her eyebrows and pursed her lips, “What do you mean?”

Elkie squealed, “That’s literally what I mean.”

Tzuyu remains confused.

Elkie groans and put her arms around Tzuyu’s neck, messing with her hair a bit, keeping their faces pressed against each other. “You’re too cute to be a guy much more your brother! You’re femme, has an adorable laugh, too soft for your own good, and so gentle – for starters. You lack… how do I say this discreetly… energy.”

Tzuyu’s jaw drops slowly and looks at her perplexed. Elkie does not hold back. “Did you even try to be discreet about that?”

Elkie shrugs in response, grinning widely. She had mentioned it countless of times how if they didn’t grow up together, she would be crushing on her brother hard.

Tzuyu sighs, still not giving up, “But they don’t know that. He could be… he could be me but a guy.”

“Or we could just avoid this and snitch to your mom. You know he’s a mommy’s boy.”

Tzuyu’s eyes widen shaking her head furiously. She and her brother had never snitched on each other. “Yes, but my dad will be furious with him. He just needs to prove himself to him. And if this is how I can help him, then okay.”

Elkie sighs as her heart swooned. Tzuyu really is too soft for her own good. “You set the bar a little too high for being a sister.” 

2 weeks later, and Tzuyu had transformed into her brother – or at least physically – which isn’t that hard. A wig and eyebrow fixed, and you get a male version Tzuyu. The way she walks and talks was another issue but they had no time to fix that flawlessly.

The lie was quickly overlooked by her parents – the one where she comes with her brother for a 2-month vacation with her bestfriend Elkie, staying in one of Elkie’s resthouse. While her brother is off somewhere, getting his rock star skills honed, Tzuyu had set foot on her brother’s campus.

And everything has been going well until Tzuyu is cooped up on her bed, listening to her roommate talk endlessly about something. She shoots a message on her partner-in-crime quickly.

 

TZUYU: SOS. My roommate sleeps with only his boxers.

ELKIE: Oh my, is he one of those douche who likes to measure their ‘length’ and compare? I knew I should have made you wear a strap!

ELKIE: IS HE BIG??

ELKIE: FML. Now I’m imagining you w a strap. #Daddy

ELKIE: Kidding. Love you.

TZUYU: Why… are you like this? NO. He’s just chatty! Give me talking points.

ELKIE: is he at least nice to look at?

ELKIE: does he look better than your brother? Nvm. He’s literally you but w short hair and a .

ELKIE: does he have abs?

TZUYU: ELKIE FOCUS

ELKIE: I’m trying. Just give me some details here so I can picture him.

TZUYU: Why… would his physical appearance matter??

TZUYU: TALKING POINTS!!

ELKIE: idk. Girls. Sports. Games?? Guys don’t chit chat before they sleep! They don’t gossip like girls!

TZUYU: this one does

TZUYU: He’s chatty Elkie ☹ help me.

ELKIE: what is he saying??

TZUYU: about his ‘hyung’ being his dad, another being too hot when he dances.

TZUYU: /oh/ I think you’ll like this. He has a friend who’s too /daddy/ This is clearly your language, Elkie.

ELKIE: that’s oddly specific. R u sure hes not gay?!

TZUYU: uhm… should I ask?

TZUYU: is that a good ice breaker?? Ok thanks 😊

ELKIE: FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY DO NOT ASK IF HE’S GAY CHOU TZUYU

ELKIE: OH PLEASE. IF YOU WANT TO STAY ALIVE DON’T

ELKIE: SOME PEOPLE WOULD ADMIRE YOUR BLUNTESS, BUT SOME PEOPLE MIGHT PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE

ELKIE: TZUYU TALK TO ME, OMG DID HE PUNCH YOU IN THE PFACE?!?!

ELKIE: TZUYU R U DEAD

ELKIE: RIP TZUYU

ELKIE: IT WAS GOOD WHILE IT LASTED

 

“So I was like—"

“So… are you gay?”

“Am I what?!”

Tzuyu shrugs, turning her body towards her roommate, Jackson. If they will be living together in 2 months, shouldn’t she know about her roommate? Well… it’s not like Tzuyu is gonna admit that she’s pretending to be her brother anytime soon… but…

“Gay. Are you into guys? Are you bi? Do you like guys and girls?”

Jackson is shocked – one way to point it. He opens and closes his mouth but no words are coming out unfortunately. Something about his roommate, who used to be quiet blurting things out of nowhere.

“Dude what the?” Jackson immediately stood up, standing in front of Tzuyu on her bed. Tzuyu sinks back, but keeps her elbows propped.

Oh no. He’s homophobic. That’s so much worse. “Please tell me you’re not homophobic.” She says, shaking her head.

Jackson sputters, “I’m not. I’m not! I’m just… why would you ask that out of the blue?!”

“Why do you look so offended? Are you in the closet? It’s okay… hyung,” Tzuyu says, honorifics almost slipping smoothly. She smiles almost comfortingly, but it looked teasing from Jackson’s view. “Uhm… No judgment. Pro homo!” She adds lamely, even raising her fist. She looks at him expectantly, waiting for an answer.

“I’m not… in the closet!”

Shocking Tzuyu, Jackson walks near her, locking her head in and armlock and twisting his knuckles on her head. “Is this how you talk to someone older than you?”

“Ah, Ah~~!” Tzuyu whines as she tries to push him away without touching him, her face now rubbing in his abs.

“Not that I’m offended. Pro homo.” Jackson says, teasingly. He ruffles Tzuyu’s hair one more time, and Tzuyu was quick to snap his hand away before her wig falls off. “Ah! We’re gonna be best buds Tienchen! Yes we are!”

Tzuyu glares at him, fixing her wig secretly, “Not if you keep messing with my hair.”

As Jackson slips back into his bed, Tzuyu grabs her phone to check Elkie’s messages.

 

ELKIE: TZUYU

ELKIE: TZUYU

TZUYU: Hes not gay

ELKIE: YOU ASKED?!?!?!

TZUYU: Yes

TZUYU: what now

ELKIE: I…

ELKIE: Youre killing me omg

ELKIE: Why are you like this???

TZUYU: ???

 

Her phone vibrates again but she looks up when Jackson clears his throat, “Are you?”

“Me?”

“Yes. Are you gay?”

“I don’t think so.” Is her brother gay? Well…. No. absolutely not. Tzuyu grimaced at the flashback of her walking in on her brother and Elkie kissing at that one time. It also wouldn’t help she saw his secret stash.

“You think so…”

“I mean I know so.”

A beat.

“Cool.”

“Yes.”

“Now that’s out of the way…”

“Hi. Im Nayeon, Student Council President, and your Student Buddy. I’ll be giving you a tour--”

Tzuyu swallows a lump in as she stares at the girl in front of her, talking too fast for her to understand a word. She sighs and blinks slowly, staring at her lips, wondering if she can read it. No such luck.

Her monologue was interrupted when 3 students walked past them, one of them walked slowly leaning into her ear, “How are you supposed to lead the way when you can’t even control your own hair?”

Nayeon presses her lips in a thin line, rolled her eyes then cross her arms. She turns to the girl but before she can open for a remark, the girls were already snickering. The girl then continues, “I was having a good morning until I saw you. You exhaust me.” The tallest one continues by pulling one of Nayeon’s hairpins, making her hair more unruly than before.

Nayeon winced as the girl pulls her hair.

“Hello ladies!” Another guy comes in. Tzuyu breathes through her nose. Nayeon isn’t even done introducing herself and she had to familiarize herself with now 3 more people in this school. The guy turns to Nayeon and say, “and you.” Two more guys came in, pushing each other too playfully that made one of them bumped into Nayeon knocking her books.

Nayeon sighs as she bends down to pick up her books, while the rest of the group laughs. The guy who had the audacity to not refer Nayeon as a lady, whistles as he leers into Nayeon’s back. Nayeon stiffens and pulled her skirt downwards.

Tzuyu, having enough of this circus, quickly went around Nayeon, blocking her and clears , making sure to use her ‘guy’ voice. “Chou Tienchen. Hi.”

The douche (as Tzuyu would like to call him), raised his eyebrows at her and then says, “No one asked.”

So this is how you choose to die.

If her brother was here and Tzuyu was Nayeon (or any other girl for that matter), this guy would’ve had a black eye and one or two broken fingers to prove a point. Their parents would’ve been called the next day and her brother would be grounded for a week, -- their parents suing the school for whatever.

But bru

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter