I Just Supervise

Fiery Rose

Ji Yong breathed deep before stepping inside the café. It did not take him too long to scan the place before he could see Dara waving from a distant signaling him to come over. He was relieved she came ahead of him, he could not imagine if he arrived earlier. That would probably make him awkward again. They did not really talk about the next time’s details. Does she know I come here every day? Or does she know I know she comes here every day? This is more awkward but I guess I have to never bring this up.

He walked towards her brushing his hair backwards as his fingers fidgeted, he was trying his best to make pretend he was not expecting this. There’s a lot of customers on weekends, it’s sort of comforting to loosen up the vibe. As he reached the table, Food was already served. “Hi.” He greeted as he sat on the vacant seat in front of her. Dara smiled back at him. “It’s my treat, don’t worry.” Ji Yong looked at the plates set in front of him. Isn’t this bit too much for 2 persons? Is there a feast or anything? “Feel free to order if you want anything else.” Dara continued. Her voice caught back Ji Yong’s attention. Crap. I must’ve given her a wrong signal. He attempted to hide his panic for a moment.

He thought that she misinterpreted his eyeing on the food. “I’m just overwhelmed, I’m sorry and thanks by the way.” What the hell am I saying? I can’t articulate any better words. I’m messing this up again. Dara smiled. Ji Yong wondered why would a girl spend as much as this and treat a guy she just met. He did not want to assume because he might just end up getting a wrong signal. He was certain he needed to offer something because mere thanks is not enough for this cost. She’s confident enough I’d come today and ordered all these?

The idea rushed to him, admittedly strange but he felt delighted because this means she knows. “I’m on it next time.” Ji Yong said. He spoke less as much as possible because he believed that less talk, less mistake. It would save him today. After a few seconds of pause, he realized it sounded more of an indirect invitation but before he could say anything, Dara was already speaking “Sure thing.” She was actually anticipating for him to invite her “next time”. She was not after the treat but of him and this perhaps is working in her favor. Before Ji Yong could stumble himself again, she already blurted out that she agrees.

A month ago, Dara noticed an unfamiliar good-looking man in Rosin Café. She already spent more than a year in the place and was already accustomed of the faces she sees every day. In fact, she had already exchanged words with some of the people there including the elderly and knew some of them personally. The place isn’t very enormous to not notice if there’s someone new in the place. There had been new customers coming in of course but this one was undoubtedly quite a charm. She could recall a few times she caught him looking at her. She was a bit frustrated the lone guy has not made any move after a long time.

Well, that’s too much to ask for. Impossible. She was not the type of person to initiate an effort primarily to a stranger but her female instinct tells her it’s worth a shot. She had been eyeing the stranger for a reasonable time anyway. And the guy might have an eye for her too if her gut feeling isn’t wrong.  “So, you mentioned you live nearby. You live with your parents?” Dara asked, slicing a piece of cake in front of her, a gesture telling Ji Yong to start eating too.

“I live alone. My parents live in province…by choice.” He answered, reaching for the cup of coffee. Does she know I like black coffee? “How about you?” He continued as he carefully placed the porcelain mug back on the mahogany. “I live alone too. My parents are in abroad.” Dara replied, locking her eyes again to Ji Yong’s. This makes him uneasy every time but he tries his best to hold her gaze, making sure she looks away first. “I mentioned I live nearby, it’s…” She looked out the window, squinting her eye as if trying her best to focus on something “…there.” She pointed out from a far but close enough to see from their spot. Ji Yong was speechless for a moment.

It was the only visible building so the two cannot be mistaken. “No way! I live there too.” He exclaimed. “What are the odds!” Dara matched his energy. The two were becoming comfortable around each other after a few hours. There were still a lot of food to finish and this simply means, more talk but the idea does not bother Ji Yong anymore, he already felt a sense of belonging and ease. I guess I’ll have more reasons to love this place. A few moment later, their conversation was interrupted by a staff hurrying towards their table. “We’re good.” Ji Yong sensed panic but he was not sure of it.

His impulse was to reassure that they don’t need anything yet. The staff glanced at him with a smile but turned to Dara again in an instant. “Ma’am, I’m sorry for the intrusion but can I have a moment with you please?” Ji Yong was puzzled by the unusual scenario. “Excuse me for a while.” Dara gave Ji Yong an apologetic look before she walked away with the staff, probably a barista. Ji Yong eyed where the two were going. It took him some time to digest what’s happening when he saw them conversing with another customer. It did not take too long when Dara walked back to the table.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, do you own this place?” Ji Yong tried to not make the question sound offensive. “Technically, my parents do. I just supervise.” She answered humbly. This explains all these. He took a quick glance on the table … and why you’re always here. “I was not aware. Sorry.” He said hoping it sounded sincere enough. Dara smiled. “No big deal. So, where were we again?” Ji Yong grinned.

Since then, the two became very close friends.