Safe Haven

Fiery Rose

Ji Yong and Dara's friendship had already been tested for many times. They came from a humble family and both were lone child. That bridged them on having real connection, they had enough commonalities so they understood each other more than anyone else.

They met five years ago when Ji Yong moved to Seoul. Near his condominium was a cafe he was accustomed of spending most of his time. There another girl he always see from the opposite table, Dara. Her charm and vibrance does not fail to radiate places wherever she goes making her so easily noticed. Ji Yong recalls the first time he saw her, she seemed well known. As she entered the place with the lightest aura, the elderly smiled at her direction. Ji Yong thought a pretty face really catches everyone's attention until he heard them greet each other by name. By then he knew she was more than just a pretty face but of character too.

Ji Yong enjoyed the ambiance of the underrated cafe not to mention the relaxing aroma of brewed coffee. He loved to go wherever it's peaceful and it is certainly the best place that suits him. He enjoys observing everything and everyone around him - including the new girl, Dara. 

Despite his emerging admiration, it never occured to him of approaching her because he wanted things to stay as they are. He wanted to appreciate people's authenticity and that is only made possible, he believes, when he is afar. 

He had seen her for a month on that same spot, always solitary. Her long flowing brunette hair on the sides of her shoulders and the knee length floral dresses she wear adds up to her attractiveness and innocent vibe. Ji Yong can tell now her favorite menu - one thing he's certain, she's not a fan of caffeine. 

One time, Ji Yong seemed so occupied of admiring the beauty he was seeing that he did not realize in an instant she was looking at his direction. Surprisingly, Dara smiled at him but Ji Yong knew it was not a reassuring kind of smile. He knew the fact that staring at a random stranger is not quite nice. His face flushed then immediately turned away, looking down at his cold black coffee as he tried his best to contain his embarrassment. 

He thought it was the end of him.

"Hi​​​​​​​​​​​." His heart raced when he saw Dara pulling the chair in front of him. His face still hot.

Ji Yong tried to compose himself, he thought it's a chance for self-redeem. "I was uh-just..." He cannot find the right words to say until he finally gave up. Instead he heaved a heavy sigh. "Hi." he replied with a forced smile.

Dara laughed. "I bet you're a new customer here. Do you live nearby?" She replied, her eyes locking on his. Ji Yong was a bit surprised, the girl was blunt but in a good way. Ji Yong nod. "I just moved in a month ago." He continued although still bemused to the kind of question. "Call me Dara." the girl now is offering a hand. Ji Yong reached making a handshake. "Ji Yong." Does she often does this?

The next thing he knew they were already conversing. "I live nearby. I hang out here often. My safe haven actually." Dara said sipping from her half finished frappe. It's quite obvious, you're here every day. Ji Yong wanted to tell her that but it's blantantly a terrible idea, almost another way of saying he's a lurker. Would be very ungentleman so he brushed off the thought "So do I." 

The two did not realize an hour already passed. Dara was garrulous and amiable although Ji Yong studied her as she spoke and still skeptical. He liked her but he cannot disregard the fact that they are strangers and to be exchanging words with the girl he was once just observing was odd to him. Is she trying to flirt? He's afraid he might be getting the wrong signal. 

"I have to leave. See you next time?" Ji Yong could not exactly understand what he was feeling. Her farewell was a relief because he had not been ready for that conversation starting off with a bad impression. At least he could prepare for their next meeting. But, that next time is certainly tomorrow. He was happy yet anxious. "See you." He was unsure if she heard him because she was already heading towards the exit. She turned to him for the last time and waved goodbye. Ji Yong then felt his heart jumped for the second time.