[4]

ODD

I made my way to the library during lunch. Lucas invited me to eat lunch with him and his friends but I declined, I was already receiving enough stares as it was from wearing my eye patch and being around Lucas and his friends attracted even more attention. I wanted to keep my profile as low as possible in case anything were to happen I could leave without a trace and no one would notice. Turns out the male whose eyes I met this morning was named Hendery and the person he was dancing with was Yangyang. Somehow, all of them are friends with Sicheng and Ten also.

I looked at my phone as a text came in.

Mom: You better not be eating lunch alone, lunch is a time to be eating with friends!

Wow thanks mom, reminding me that I don’t have any friends.

I made my way to the library and walked through the aisles, looking at the spines of the books to find the author of the book. Seeing the book, I stood on a stepping stool and reached up the bookshelf, standing on my tippy toes. My fingers brushed past the spine of the book I had wanted as I began to lose my footing. My back hit against something as I fell down landing on my knees, the book I was trying to get fell down and ended up hitting someone on the shoulder. I looked up to be met with a pair of kind eyes.

“Are you okay?” the brown haired male asked.

I nodded, taking in our surroundings. We were surrounded by a mass of books sprawled around us, they must’ve been his and I must’ve hit his back causing him to drop all of his books.

“Sorry,” I apologized, reaching to stack the books that had fallen back up.

He smiled at me as he grabbed a few books, “It’s okay,” he picked up the book I was trying to get, “Is this yours?” he asked.

I nodded, taking it from him, “Thank you.”

“The Collector?” he asked.

I nodded again, “It’s a good book.”

He smiled, “I know, but not a lot of people like it.”

“Really? I always thought it was a classic.”

“I thought so too, Qian Kun,” he held out his hand.

“Lee Jinsoul,” I shook his hand.

“Are you new here?” he asked.

“Yea, I started today,” I let out a small laugh hoping that it would ease the mood a bit.

“Do you want to eat lunch together then?” he asked.

I shook my head, “It’s okay, thanks though.”

“Well if you ever want to find me I’m usually in the library,” his smile was angelic, showing off his pearly white teeth.

“I’ll keep that in mind, well see you,” I waved at him before heading off to the front desk to check out the book.

“Mother I’m home,” I shouted into the large house when I entered, the maids stopped their cleaning to bow at me to which I gave them a small nod in acknowledgment.

“How was it sweetie?” my mother asked from the top of the staircase, looking down at me.

I shrugged, “Fine I guess, it went normal,” I didn’t know how else to describe school, it had been so long since I was actually in real school.

“Go get washed up, we’ll have dinner together later!” my mother sang.

“Yes Mom,” I shouted back and retreated into my room.

“Oh Soullie,” my friend’s voice sang through the phone, “Guess what I have for you.”

“What?” I asked, “Is it good news?” It was after dinner that Kim Lip had called me.

“Umm I’ll let you decide that, but I have an investigation for you,” she sang before lowering her voice, “But you never got it from me.”

“Does my dad know?” I asked.

She began to whisper, “Not exactly.”

I smiled, “Count me in then.”

“Odd Eye club, we have one in China, but lately there’s been some suspicious activity around it. It’s hard to explain,” she sighed, “I wish I could go there myself, but you father just gave me another mission to take care of. Well anyway, some of our dealers, they’re supposed to meet there to do the exchanges, but they disappear without a trace. The deals that have gone missing aren’t worth much, but if they keep disappearing it won’t be good for business.”

“So you just want me to stake out the place?”

“No, that’s a lot of work for one person, not to mention you have school now,” she giggled, “Just scout the area? See if there’s anything we should be wary about, I can send backup there if there is. Some of the bartenders should be able to provide you with some information of what’s happened. They’ll be expecting you, just tell them I sent you.”

“Alright I’ll report what I find.”

“Mom, I’m going out, I’ll be back later,” I shouted.

“Will you need a ride sweetie? I can have Mr. Wang take you.”

“No it’s alright, I’ve been meaning to take the subway.” The maids and butlers bowed to me as I left the large house and made my way to the subway station. I wore black combat boots, black shorts, a black crop top and a grey frayed cropped denim jacket to top it off.

When I got to the street I looked around, it was nighttime and the neon lights lit up the streets. It had rained earlier leaving water puddles on the concrete. Smoke was released from nearby cars and buildings. The familiar sign of Odd Eye club hung on the side of the building. Closely I listened and looked around me, there was someone following me. I turned around but no one was there besides some people that were waiting in line to enter the other club nearby. I continued to walk around the building, there were no working cameras on the streets to make sure that exchanges that happened in this area were kept confidential.

After waiting in line and getting my ID checked I walked into the club, the smoke machine letting out fog and making the mist feel cool. Walking around I scanned each of the servers. I made my way to a hallway that was dimly lit and leaned against the wall to observe those around me.

“Jinsoul,” someone slurred my name.