4. Our Chapter

Just Because

Seo Soojin was a complicated person who was hard to understand and she liked to keep it that way. She was in her third year of college, to get her degree with Korean literature major. Having a perfect body line, intimidate stare and beautiful smile, you could think being Seo Soojin, one of the most popular girl on the campus would be easy, but it actually was not, it was the opposite. Soojin in real life is a shy woman. She can’t really socialize with others, just a bunch of close friends.

Leaving high school to the university had broken her story with her girlfriend of two years, and since then, she hadn't had any serious relationship, to her big discontent, until this year, when she met Taiwanese Girl.

They met at the campus library, the younger girl were looking for a book to study for her major while Soojin was studying, not sure what to choose asked Soojin for help and that was the starter of their relationship.

                                   

It was kinda late evening and  Soojin didn't expect such a nice encounter at this time of the day but meeting Shuhua was such a delight in her casual boring Monday.

 

“Erhmm..excuse me..”

 

“Seo Soojin, that’s my name”

 

“Ah..rite, I’m Shuhua.,could you help me with something?”

 

“Heem..I’m listening” Soojin said, watching this stranger dropping a dozen of books on the table.

 

“I um.. taking a public speaking class this semester, I'm looking for a book that could help me with that…erm, and I’m not fluent yet in Korean..so I can't decide which one I should pick, any thoughts?"

 

Soojin chuckled because the girl in front of her was so cute, she’s recognising the cover of one of them, "I took that class last semester, I think this one could help."

 

"Ah, is that so? I'm sure you have good taste, I take it!"

 

"I wouldn't be sure about that." Soojin said, pursing her lips to hold her laughter.

 

Shuhua cocked an eyebrow, "And why is that?"

 

"Well," Soojin leaned over the table to grab the book and opened it, "it's written in Hangul." She smiled.

 

"Oh..well, it must be hard for me to understand then!" Shuhua protested

 

"Ahh..yes, I guess so," Soojin admitted as she sat properly, then an idea crossed her mind, "but, you know, if you come back at a decent hour, we could read it together."

 

"You'd translate for me?" Shuhua asked with both hope and disbelief in her tone.

 

"Yeah, I could help you with that."

 

"Are you free tomorrow at four?"the younger said as she picked up her mess off the table.”

 

"I think I am." Soojin replied in a blink of an eye, actually a hundred percent sure she had nothing else to do (except studying).

 

"Alright, see you tomorrow!" Shuhua was ready to go

"It's a date." Shuhua said loudly as she disappeared in an alley, her little giggles fading away.

 

Actually for Shuua, It was not her style to flirt like this, but something about Soojin made her feel confident enough to do it, and the other girl seemed to like it. Usually she was more the kind of girl to wait for the other person to come and talk, a lot of men were attracted by her beautiful hair and her doe eyes and tried to get into her pants, some not closeted girls too and she knew a couple of people had a crush on her.

Soojin felt it immediately, her body aching, lacking of something when Shuhua left. She wasn't the kind of girl to believe in love at first sight but she had to admit the younger girl had an impact on her just by the way she was, the way she lived. That felt good, to meet someone like Shuhua, someone who’s confident but a bit shy all at once, easy to talk to but who obviously had a million secrets, waiting to be unburied by Soojin's willpower to discover the girl.

                                   

The next day, Soojin was looking forward to see Shuhua. She even took the time to read the book again, taking notes about some details she would explain to the younger. She couldn't keep her focus on the lecture she was attending, too excited about her date to listen to the lecturer. She wondered what class Shuhua signed up for and also why she had never seen her around the campus before.

When the morning turned to afternoon, Soojin went to her dorm, changing into some better dressed clothes, just enough to look chic, y but still casual at the same time. She opted for a red shirt with two buttons opened, just enough to let appear the skin of her chest, but not too much either. She put on a pair of high-rise black jeans and her favorite Converse, the shoes being the casual part while her cuffed jeans showcased her curves, the y part. After looking at herself in the mirror she grabbed her book and notes and walked calmly to the library. She sat at the exact table she met Shuhua yesterday and waited, continuing her taking notes while reading the book.

 

As 4 PM approached, Soojin started to feel a bit anxious, a knot forming in her stomach when the thought of Shuhua sitting next to her came to her mind.

When 4 PM , she checked the time every minute on her phone, impatiently waiting for the jet-black hair girl to arrive. After ten minutes, she realised how tense she was and tried desperately to chill, closing her eyes as she focused on her breathing. She opened her eyes again and saw Shuhua, standing in front of her on the other side of the table with a soft smile, one of the best things Soojin had ever seen.

 

"Oh, hey um… didn't hear you there." Soojin greeted the other, a bit embarrassed.

 

"It's okay, I saw you from back there, didn't want to disturb you." Shuhua replied, hesitantly coming to the side of the table where Soojin was seated, "So, how you doing, Jin-ah?"

 

Soojin laughed, not sure if Shuhua was serious with the nickname or not, "You remember my name right?"

 

"Of course I do, I just think JinJin is cute, suits you well." She said, sitting on the chair next on Soojin's right, her smile not leaving her face.

 

"It's still not my full name but I take it."

 

"Alright alright, Seo Soojin shall we begin?"

 

Soojin started to read the book, translating instantly what she was reading with ease, which impressed Shuhua. “If only my professor like you, I would do the best on my class”

Soojin laughed, “You’re silly”

 

The more the afternoon went the more they got closer. The first time their knees brushed, they both sat straight on their respective chairs, avoiding eye contact for a few minutes, not accepting how hard they actually wanted to feel the other close. They eventually accepted to feel the other's warmth, their thighs pressed and their arms often brushing when they both wanted to turn the page at the same time.

As they advanced in the book, Soojin finally had to use her notes for a detail Shuhua didn't understand. Shuhua wasn't sure she didn't get it because it was hard or because she didn't listen, too focused on Soojin's features.

 

"You get it now?"

 

"I think I do." The younger girl muttered, yet Soojin could swear Shuhua had no clue what she just said.

 

"Great, so, I was saying, Public speaking had been used by Greek in Ancient Greece era

 

She stopped to see Shuhua's reaction but the younger seemed distracted, her gaze on Soojin's lips.

Soojin snapped her fingers, making Shuhua jump with surprise a little, "Hey, you you still here?"

 

The other girl's eyes widened and her cheeks turned red as she realized she had been staring for a while, "Sorry, i-… sorry."

 

"We can take a break if you want, this book is a lot to take in."

 

Shuhua couldn't get her eyes to look right into Soojin's eyes, leaning closer and closer to her until their shoulders touched. "It's not the book, really."

 

"Yeah, I can see that." Soojin said, smirking and changed position, she was now more facing Shuhua than the table.

 

"It’s really good book though."

 

Soojin hummed in agreement, glancing at Shuhua's lips, a big mistake.

 

Her lips were now the only thing she could see and want, she was indefinitely attracted by them and mirrored the younger's doing, leaning closer. The tip of their nose brushed, just enough to send shivers through her spine. Mindlessly, her hand slid from her lap to Shuhua's thigh, shyly caressing the fabric of her jeans with her thumb. It was a matter of millimeters before their lips would be linked when Soojin saw a familiar face in the corner of her eyes. She immediately backed up and coughed, hiding behind her hand as she looked in the direction of where she saw her friend, making sure she left. Her dark eyes met Shuhua's again and she recognized the feelings behind them in a heartbeat, misunderstanding and sadness.

 

"Sorry.. I saw a friend of mine, Sooyeon," Soojin apologized and rested her forehead on Shuhua's shoulder to hide her shame.

"It's okay," Shuhua replied in a whisper, "you're so thoughtful with your friend, how can I take that badly." she added with a cheerful tone, her hand reaching Soojin's hair.

 

Soojin hated herself for ruining a moment like this, that was what she wanted since the second she heard Shuhua calling her name yesterday and she blew it.

 

"We um, we are at the end of the chapter, and it's pretty late." It was almost 7 PM, they had been reading for almost three hours, "I um… I think we should go back, even though I'd love to stay with you."

 

"Can I see you again next week?"

 

Shuhua smiled as she heard Shuhua's proposition, "That would be great."

 

"Let's go then!"

 

They gathered their respective belongings and left the library.

 

 

*I think I need to add more part…  J

Sorry for my grammatical errors…see you, stay healthy.