1. Sleepless Summer Night

Just Because

It’s one of summer night, and the summer heat made sleep impossible for Soojin. She’s checking her phone while watching some videos, letting the air conditioning sends wafts of cold air across the room. Occasionally she reached out for a glass of iced water on her nightstand.

She has her own room now, even though that didn’t stop members of her group dropping by whenever they felt like it. But when it comes to a night like this, she can’t but to feel lonely.

The clock on her nightstand said it was 2:17am There was a soft knock on her door, with a sigh, she got off the bed, pulled on some pajamas, and went down to her door.

“What are you doing here, Shuhua?” she started to say as she opened the door.

“To give you the best cuddle ever?” Shuhua said. She smirked at Soojin. “Don’t you need that unnie?”

Soojin rolled her eyes and stepped back so Shuhua could come in. “It’s too hot for me to think of a witty reply right now so fill in the blanks by yourself.”

Soojin climbed back to the bed, with Shuhua following closely behind. Soojin returned to her spot on the bed and Shuhua, after kicking off her slippers, seated herself next to her.

“You know, you can be unnie if it’s too hot” Shuhua said playfully tease Soojin.

“I know,” Soojin replied, a thin lipped smile on her face. She could feel Shuhua’s eyes on her, reading her; Soojin did the same often enough. “Any reason why you decided to drop by?”

“There’s a bed here,” Shuhua shortly replied. As if to prove her point, she reclined fully and made herself comfortable.

“You have a bed at your own room silly,” Soojin reasoned, “With air conditioning no less.” Soojin added while lying next to Shuhua.

“Yeah, true.” Shuhua turned to Soojin’s side. “But you’re not there unnie. So, here I am.”

Their eyes met and Soojin felt her pulse quicken.

“You are getting soft on me, unnie?”

“I blame the heat.”

Shuhua uttered a soft laugh. After the sound of it faded, a smile remained on her lips. Something unspoken passed between them: gratitude for the other being in her life.

Without the need to say any more, Soojin took Shuhua’s hand in her own and despite the heat continuing to bear down on them; they slept soundly together until morning.

 

 

 

*short chapter for an opening

forgive me for any mistakes