Chapter 4

My All For You - Story

The train finally halted after what seemed like forever at their stop. The two boys stood up and grabbed their luggage, heading towards the exit door and getting off the train. They walked over to an uncrowded corner to figure out their next move.

“So, where is this cabin?” Youngjae questioned, setting his bags down on the ground. They were a lot heavier than he thought.

“Honestly, I have no idea. I just know the cabin is around this area. Your grandmother used to talk about it all the time. She said you have to use magic to find it, so the rest is up to you.” 

“Me?” Youngjae was confused.

“Yes. Use magic and let your grandmother lead the way.” Daehyun waved his hand at the other. “Go on. Try.” 

Youngjae took a deep breath, closing his eyes and letting the energy flow throughout his body. He tried to picture his grandmother’s smiling face, which brought tears to his eyes. 

In his mind, Youngjae saw this locked box with the words Lost Memories written below the keyhole. 

“I see a box of my past. I’m not sure how to open it.” Youngjae opened his eyes to see Daehyun going through his bag. The elder pulled out one of the magical books and handed it to the witch.

“See if there is a spell in there to help unlock your memories.” Youngjae took the book and flipped through the pages. He often wished that these books had a table of contents. After a while, Youngjae finally stumbled upon one that he thought should work.

“Unlocking Your Mind Spell. It’s worth a shot.” Youngjae closed his eyes once again and took a couple of deep breaths. He felt his power flow through him, concentrating it all on his mind.

“Dezvăluie ce se pierde. Adu înapoi ceea ce am uitat!” A small yellow glimmer enclosed around the witch. His last memory of his grandmother enveloping his mind. In a zombie state, Youngjae walked off. Daehyun quickly grabbed their bags and followed in pursuit.

 ~~~

“Youngjae!” An elderly woman came out of her small cabin, calling for her grandson. The bouncing boy came running towards her, arms opened. 

“Grandma!” He hugged her leg tightly, but let go once he realized her arms were full of tea and cookies. “Oh! You have yummies!” He grabbed the plate and walked with her to the table she had in her garden. 

“Careful young one.” She set down the teacups and sat down, helping Youngjae with the plate of cookies. Youngjae took a cup, sipping from it and making a disgusted sound. “What’s wrong, sweetie?” 

“It’s cold. I like my tea hot.” Grandma Yoo took the cup and smiled.

“Do you believe in magic, Youngjae?” Youngjae tilted his head, confused by the question. “Watch closely.” Grandma Yoo closed her eyes and took a deep breath. A small glow circled her body and the cup, the liquid bubbling. Youngjae looked closer and he could see steam come out of the cup. 

“Wow!” He exclaimed, taking the cup from her hands, a quick “careful” was said, and he blew and took a small sip. “Much better! Thank you grandma.”

The two chatted for about an hour until Youngjae’s parents showed up. They found them in the backyard, looking out of the forest and animals.

“We’re back! Thank you so much for watching him, mom.” Youngjae jumped up and ran to his parents.

“No problem, deary. You know I love watching my cute little baby boy.” She cooed, making Youngjae blush. 

“Umma! Umma! Grandma did magic! She heated up my cup of tea and made it yummy!” Youngjae’s father took his hand and ushered him inside. “Wait! Bye grandma!” He waved.

“Mom. Again? Seriously? We’ve told you so many times not to do magic around Youngjae. We don’t want to be involved in your world.” 

“That’s not your decision when it comes to Youngjae. He should know about it so he can decide whether he wants to be involved or not. Just like I did with you.” Grandma Yoo defended.

“That’s not how we are raising Youngjae. He won’t know anything about magic. And sense you obviously can’t go one day without it, then Youngjae isn’t coming back over here.” Youngjae’s mom turned around and left.

“You can’t do that! He’ll know one way or the other! You can’t stop this!” She yelled, with no response. “Hopefully it won’t be too late…”

~~~

Youngjae opened his eyes to find a small, brown cabin in the middle of the forest before him. Daehyun was next to him, out of breath, carrying both of their bags.

“It was hard to keep up with you. You couldn’t have slowed down a bit?” 

“I don’t even remember walking. This is it?” Youngjae asked, even though every fiber of him knew this was the place. 

“Yeah. I can tell by your grandmother’s protection circle.  It’s still up.” Youngjae looked surprised, and a bit hurt. His grandma’s magic was still going after three years and she’s been dead! Youngjae could barely keep up his shield for five days.

“Let’s go in.” Daehyun didn’t waste a second, walking into the cabin. Stepping inside, he looked around. It was exactly as Youngi had described it. It was the only cabin for miles, safe and secure for them. He wanted to visit here, but Youngjae persisted on being in his hometown.

“Home sweet home.” He smiled, placing his bag on the couch. “You take the guest bedroom, I’ll take your grandmother’s bedroom. Her bookshelf is in the corner in the living room with tons of magic spells you can study, the kitchen is through that door over there, and there is a sunroom, but it’s hidden. You have to pull a certain book from the shelf for the door to open. It’s-”

“Cinderella.” Youngjae interrupted. “My grandmother used to read me children stories from all over the world. That one was my favorite.” Youngjae walked over to the bookcase and pulled out Cinderella, unlocking and opening a door next to it. He stepped into the room, finding even more books on magic, a small couch, and a side table. The room was half windows to let the sun in, but they were tinted so no one could peak in.

“Looks like you remember more than you… remember, huh?” Daehyun chuckled. 

“I don’t know. Being here feels… different. Like she is still here, within me. Maybe that’ll help my magic study.” Daehyun agreed, leaving the room. 

“Good, because we are going to start training tomorrow.” Daehyun declared, leaving the room. He went to grab his bag to get himself situated in his new room.

“Training?” Youngjae inquired, stepping out of the sunroom as well, shutting the door behind him.

“Yes. I can’t fight off two witch hunters by myself. I have a feeling this won’t be the last we see of them.” The elder disappeared for a few minutes with his bag, walking back into the living room and sat on the couch.

“Let’s just take a day to settle in and relax. We can start first thing tomorrow.” Youngjae agreed. With all this power, he sure felt hopeless when they were fighting earlier. 

“Well, then I am taking the rest of the day to sleep. I feel super weak and it might help.” Daehyun nodded, grabbing the remote and turning on the television.

“Okay. Rest up good. Goodnight!”