My favorite painter

Train station
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi. How have y'all been? It's been crazy for me. It was IDAHOBIT and we had tons of work to do. Writing's been slow. I just sat in front of the screen for the whole night and can only come up with a few sentences. I have so much respect for people who can write like 5000 words in one sitting! How?

This one is a bit longer than the previous ones. Still no beta so might be mistake here and there. And this is definitely the last one. No more sequel!

Thank you for all the upvotes and comments. Your nice words really encourage me a lot

Please enjoy and let me know what you think

 

========

 

“Did you actually threatened that you would send a bunch of lesbians to stab him?” Jihyo asked, still processing what Mina had just told them.

“I was mad and holding a knife, stabbing was the first thing came to mind.” Mina exclaimed indignantly, a bit slurred. After the recent awful event, they decided it was time for a drunk girls’ night. “Desperate times call for desperate measures,” Sana declared. Honestly, Mina didn’t find the recent event “desperate” but she wouldn’t say no to booze and let loose with her friends.

“Would totally do that. I know where to discard a body.” Momo smirked, hand waving holding a beer bottle. It’s only a weekday, so they settled with beer instead.

“What? You know what?” Jihyo looked at Momo in disbelief.

“Yeah, why? Do you have a body to discard?” Momo suddenly lowered her voice “That would require 2 months of free food though.” She winked.

 

Baffled, Jihyo contemplated if her friend was trying to mess with her. After Mina’s story of knife threat (that totally deserved that), she’s not so sure anymore. Jihyo’s line of thought was interrupted by a giggling Sana running out of the kitchen, who of course stumbled on her own feet and fell. The clumsy girl was saved from falling flat on her face by a pair of strong arms. Letting out a contented sigh, Sana made no attempt to stand up, instead snuggled into the arms that just saved her and turned to Mina.

 

“Are you gonna find her? The painter. She’s really good.” Mina sighed, looking up at the painting proudly hang on the wall of her living room. It’s a wonderful work of art, but that alone can’t explain her strong urge to find the artist again. Maybe because of that faithful encounter, the dedication of that painting, or the fact that it came as a source of comfort when she needed it the most. The more she look at it, that tingle of warm slowly spread out until it almost replaced the sadness and anger.

 

“I think she’s in love with that painting already.”

“Like that old Greek guy?”

“Ew don’t let her marry the painting.”

“Momo-chan, we don’t judge our friend even if she turns crazy and marries some object.”

Snapped out of her trance, Mina turned to her snickering friends and smiled at their antics. Yeah, she felt much less lonely with them here too.

 

“I know it sounds crazy but…”

“Don’t worry about crazy. We’re friend with Momo.”

“Hey!”

“And we’ll help you find the girl, even if we have to dig the whole Seoul up. You just need to say the word.” Sana wiggled out of the cuddle to place her hand on Mina’s, looking at the latter in anticipation. Momo and Jihyo also looked at her with the same affection. Suddenly overwhelmed by her friends’ affection, Mina closed her eyes and breathed out “Yes. I really want to find her.” She felt arms wrapped around her shoulders from both side, pulled her in a warm hug and squished her between. They all toppled down when Sana jumped at them, arms opened wide, yelling “group hug!” They were a mess on the floor, but no one made any attempt to move. The group hug soon turned into an extensive group cuddling session for the rest of the night.

 

 

Finding a Son Chaeyoung in this city turned out to be much harder than they thought. Especially when Mina was so caught up at the moment that she didn’t remember the university name (She hadn’t remember the cute artist name until received that painting for god’s sake).

Operation Finding Chaeyoung (courtesy of Sana) started with Sana making a catalogue of student ID card designs from different universities in Seoul, arranged by color. When Mina asked why she didn’t send it online to save all the trouble, Sana just shrugged “The aesthetic.” After narrowing down the schools (why do so many schools use the same student ID design??), Jihyo helped cross out the schools that have no Art Major. And Momo, bless her heart, went to all 10 universities in that short list, searched for a Son Chaeyoung in their gallery rooms.

 

Mina found it funny that Momo would comment more on the campus food than the art that she was there to see, but she appreciate the girl’s efforts. She did try to tell Momo she didn’t have to do all of that. But of course, Momo being Momo, just shrugged, saying she had more free time than them and she would like to explore Seoul too. That did sound interesting and Mina would have gone with Momo if her course work wasn’t so much (Damn Med School and their crazy workload)

 

 

When Mina arrived at the dining place, Momo was already there. The older was slouching on the table, investigated the menu intensively.

“Hey, Momoring” The older turned and greeted her with a goofy smile

“Hi, Minari. Puncture as usual.” Only when the girl sat up, Mina noticed something new about her

“Did you just have your hair cut?” Indeed, Momo’s usually straight dark hair with frontal fringe now accompanied with cheek-length side locks, made a perfect Hime cut “You look beautiful!”

“Thank you. I was worried it would be odd” Momo offered Mina a shy smile, pulling her in for a side hug. While Mina settled in her seat beside Momo, Sana and Jihyo also arrived. The moment Sana finally looked at Momo, she gasped and bowed dramatically

“My deepest apology, Princess Momo. If I had been informed by your graceful presence earlier, I would have requested the peasants…”

Her babbling nonsense was cut short by Momo’s headlock.

“See? That’s what I feared.”

“Don’t worry, no one is gonna be crazy like Sana. You look wonderful by the way” Jihyo smiled and sat down on the opposite side of the booth. Sana, after whining herself out of Momo’s headlock, followed suit, settled herself on Jihyo lap. At this time, Mina and Momo stopped questioning this (“It’s free real estate” Sana offered with a grin when they first asked, and they gave up on trying to understand nonsense sprouting out of a while ago)

 

“So… what’s the occasion, Mina? You said you’ll treat us today.” Jihyo asked after giving their orders to a smiling waiter and waiting for the food to come.

“I just want to thank you all for the past month. I know you all want me to get over him soon, and I appreciate you spent time to help me with this crazy idea.”

“Aww, but we haven’t found the girl yet.” Sana pouted, clearly didn’t want this operation to end.

“I think if we are destined to meet again, we will. Besides, we’re kind of in dead end now.” Mina shrugged. Or maybe Mina was not supposed to find the girl at all. She knew from the beginning that her wish was absurd. It was fun at first to see her friends worked together, even made a strategy to find this Chaeyoung. But now they have no other leads, so she thought it’s time to stop.

 

“How do you feel? About all of this.” Jihyo asked. And Mina knew she wasn’t talking about this treasure finding game. The painter could be Mina’s treasure, thank you very much. She wanted to ask about post-breakup Mina.

“Surprisingly better than I expected. You guys have always been with me since, and it helps, a lot. I don’t even feel that devastated. Sometimes I think I didn’t love him that much to begin with.”

Mina sighed, looking through the diner glass wall at some people walking on a crowded street. It wasn’t rush hour yet, but there’re still many people walking to different direction, chasing their destinations, too busy to realize if they passed someone who can make a drastic change in their life. Mina wondered if this Chaeyoung too could be a special one, not necessary a partner, but a wonderful friend like Momo, Sana and Jihyo are.

 

“It’s okay to feel sad.” Jihyo said, mistaking Mina wandering glance as unspoken sadness “That dickhead cheated on you and you are much better without him.” She grumbled “But you can be sad even when you didn’t do anything wrong. Or not being sad at all. Don’t be hard on yourself. You can’t control your feeling.”

“Yeah I didn’t like him from the beginning. Does that count?” Momo added, satisfied with her new finding. “Jihyo was right. You’re much better off without him.” Momo nodded at Jihyo’s direction. She paused for a moment before continue, eyes glimmering, the  familiar grin was back “And you know what will make you feel so much better that you don’t even need any man in your life?”

“What’s that?”

“Probably something food rela---”

“The food here! The first time I ate this, I already felt that there’s no man can satisfy me better than this dish”

“You just say that because you’re a lesbian!”

“Tsk irrelevant. Just taste and see.” Momo smirked cockily. She’s always confident when it comes to food and dancing.

 

As if on cue, the smiling waiter came with their food. The enticing smell of the chicken made their stomachs grumble. They did not hesitate a bit to attack this heavenly of a dish.

“Omg this is so good. Momo, how did you find this dining place?” Sana said with full of food, thankfully left Jihyo lap to let her girlfrien

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter