Some Nights We Want To Erase

Yours To Give
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Every brethren has their own cross to carry.  

It is the biggest test of one's faith. 

To walk in this life with suffering, whilst remaining hopeful for salvation.

And Dahyun, like the rest of us, has her own hefty load to bear. 


...


It was 06:30 in the evening when Chaeyoung walked in to Dahyun's apartment, waving a premium-grade whiskey that was given to her by the club's boss. Perks of being a bartender, and a cute one at that.

Dahyun sighed, it has been weeks since the last time she got drunk —and it was ugly. But the chemicals in her brain seems to like the chemicals in that bottle, and the tension must be eased. 

"C'mon now Dubs, don't chicken out on me. I need this! And it looks like you do too, or else you wouldn't ask me to come.", Chaeyoung said as she puts down a bowl of ice and two glasses on a little black coffee table, complementing the humble setting of the living room, waiting for Dahyun to finally make up her mind. Decision-making isn't one of Dahyun's strongest suits, and she's thankful that she found a friend that's quite patient. 

"I'm not backing out. Just thinking if we can finish all that.", Dahyun replied to hide her desire to snatch the liquor bottle from the surface and chug it all in one go. Which earned a delighted chuckle from the bartender. It's needless to say that she feels sorry for repeatedly lying to everyone's faces, but she can't afford to ruin the front she had build from nights of voilent whimpers and dried up tears, nor stand being the center of unwanted sympathy from others. She'll just compensate soon. It's all good. 

"I invited Tzuyu, but she got plans, guess we'll have to do our best then! By the way, pizza?", and with that Dahyun stood up to get a box from their favorite pizzeria, she preheated it 30 minutes ago, shall she do it again? Is it still okay? Decide. No, it has gone cold. Place it back in oven, it's not that hard. 

"You okay there?", Chaeyoung asks. Her voice was heard, but Dahyun was preoccupied by the thought of how people use heat to clean food, and if she do the same —to her body— will it take away the filth that's in every inch of her skin? Her hand moved on its own, reaching for the oven's handle. Some smoke escaped, her mind is still repeating the idea like an old show in the middle of the night, again and again —and again. Filth in fire, fire and filth. Burn. 

Burn. 

Burn. 

Burn them all. 

"Dahyun?", and her hand stopped. Dahyun blinked fast as she turns around to the source of the voice. She saw Chaeyoung's wide, bewildered eyes; like an animal lost in a traffic jam. Mouth hanging open, as if words just left her body. 

And Dahyun doesn't know why. 

So confused meets hallowed. 

"Dahyun?", Chaeyoung asks again, this time Dahyun snapped back to now and quickly reacted. 

"Yeah?"

"What are you doing?", what was she doing?

"I.. I was getting the pizza.", she replied. 

"But you're not wearing a mitten...", Chaeyoung said, but maybe more like asked, Dahyun can't tell. 

So she looked back at her hand, bare. And just a few inches away from injury. 

Chaeyoung quickly grabbed the mitten resting on the top of the counter and pulled her friend up. Dahyun was instructed to go sit on the couch, while the pizza is being prepared. And of course she obliged. She looks at the bottle of whiskey, her thirst becoming more obvious. Chaeyoung quickly catches up and scoots over to her side. Dahyun remained qu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter