006

Better Days

The warmth of Luhan’s lips was replaced by the cold evening breeze when the older stood up and helped Sehun to his feet. Absentmindedly, the younger male let himself be dragged inside the inn. His mind has stopped working moments ago and Luhan found it very cute, seeing him in a daze. “Snap out of it, Sehun-ah. You look silly,” he humored, caressing Sehun’s hand.

“xafsioefqowoq”

“Okay, okay. Look here,” Luhan tittered, raising a finger in the air. He went and poke Sehun’s nose with a little force. Fortunately, it worked. The younger jolted at the contact and moved his head away from him.

 “…we kissed,” Sehun blurted out, flustered. He was deeply self-conscious, remembering the scene moments ago. He recalled how his body shivered at the contact of their lips.

“Your mind please. Don’t let it wander off too much,” warned Luhan, with an amused expression. He was clearly having fun teasing Sehun like that. “And yes, we did kiss.”

It was enough to make Sehun curl helplessly, groaning and trying to avoid Luhan’s gaze. He hung his head low, eyes fixed on the floor.

Luhan decided to stop the teasing. He let go of Sehun’s hand and motioned towards the kitchen. In silence, he drank a glass of water to calm his nerves because truthfully, his heart was beating so fast. He waited for Sehun to follow. It didn’t take long for the younger to appear behind him. Luhan offered him to drink but he refused, shaking his head sluggishly. He still looked baffled.

With a heartening smile, Luhan scooped his face and said meekly, “It’s late. Go get some rest now. I’ll see you in the morning.” And just like that, he retreated to his room, leaving Sehun wondering if it’s possible for a human being to literally explode from someone else’s touch.

Sehun wasn’t able to sleep at all. He was flipping on the bed, making weird noises each time Luhan’s face appears in his mind. It was embarrassing but he found himself touching his lips, groaning each time he recalls himself responding to the kiss. He kicked the pillows out of his way and lay flat on his stomach, burying his head on the duvet and trying his best to close his eyes, but fails every time.

He endured hours of thinking about what transpired that night. Slumber came a little too late. It was already six in the morning when his mind finally let him sleep.

Sehun woke up sweating. The air-conditioner was acting up again. He tossed his shirt on the floor and tried to get back to sleep, but the heat was too much to handle. Frustrated, he sat up, scratching his head and turned to check the time. “10:00.”

He was taking his time going downstairs, afraid to make a noise because Luhan might pop out of nowhere. The thought of seeing the male was giving him the cold feet. Carefully, he tiptoed and peered through the living room. No signs of Luhan. He then proceeded to check the kitchen. Still no Luhan. On the counter—no sleeping Luhan. Sehun was downright confused. He didn’t want to see Luhan but he found himself walking towards the latter’s room. Just making sure he still exists, he reasoned defensively.

“ACHOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Sehun bit his bottom lip. He almost cursed. That was a pretty loud sneeze. The door was closed but he could hear Luhan blowing his nose inside. “A flu?”

“ACHOOOOODAAFBAUJVE! AHHHH ~ Wae wae wae?!!!!!”

He imagined Luhan moping on the bed, wiping his nose, probably all bundled up, looking like a mess.

 Danger, danger! Sehun covered his mouth. He was red all over. Damn his silly imagination. “What the am I doing? If he finds out I’m here—“

The door swung open. Sehun didn’t have much of a second to react before he realized that he was standing in front of a sick Luhan. A sick Luhan happens to be a sluggish potato that has crazy morning hair and does not wear pants. They both froze. Luhan stared at Sehun with his droopy eyes and slightly parted mouth, breathing heavily, while the latter tried his very best to fix his gaze on Luhan’s face. The scene was familiar. It was just like the first time they met. Sehun gulped nervously. Don’t look down!

“Sorry, Sehun-ah,” Luhan managed to say, smiling. “I wasn’t able to prepare breakfast.”

Sehun shook his head almost instantly, “Uh no—it’s fine.” He thought I came here to ask him about breakfast. He cleared his throat. “You’re sick.”

Luhan nodded, blowing his nose, “Hmm. Don’t come any closer.” He took a few steps away from the door. “I guess you are on your own until I get better. I hate being sick like this but what can I do?” There was an attempt to laugh but he ended up sneezing again. “You’re probably starving. You can check the fridge for leftovers and heat them up. I’ll see you later.”

“O-okay,” Sehun replied hesitantly.

 Luhan then waved weakly and shut the door.

“Wait, Luhan!’

The door opened swiftly. “Yes?”

“What about your breakfast?” asked Sehun, looking elsewhere and rubbing the side of his neck. “I think you need to eat as well. You know…to recover.” Quickly.

Luhan shook his head, “I don’t feel like eating.”

“Oh.” Sehun didn’t expect that answer. Somehow, he felt rejected. He quickly excused himself and told Luhan to rest. The older nodded and slowly closed the door.

Sehun gawked at the wooden frame, listening intently as Luhan continued his sneezing fit. He leaned back on the wall and stayed there for a good while. He forgot about being hungry. It was not like he had the appetite to begin with.

-

“So your innkeeper is sick and you want to cook him something to make him feel better, is that right?” Kyungsoo clarified over the phone. He was testing out newly-released video games when Sehun called. For a moment, he thought of ignoring him. But he immediately assumed that it must be very important, whatever Sehun has to tell him, because he doesn’t often receive calls from the latter. So when Sehun told him about his dilemma of cooking a goddamn soup for this innkeeper, which Kyungsoo knew was the subject of Jongdae’s mischief to tease Sehun, he face-palmed himself, upset that he had to let go of his video games to accommodate his friend’s love conundrum.

“You know I can’t follow a simple recipe. I need assistance, from a real person,” Sehun argued, hearing Kyungsoo scoff. He was taking the ingredients from the fridge one by one. “Okay. I got everything ready.”

Kyungsoo tried to be patient in telling him what he needed to do but Sehun was surely testing him that day. He thought of ending the call multiple times, hearing the sound of falling utensils in the background while the person on the other line panics. His friend was apparently worse than he had expected—especially now that he has someone he wants to please. Kyungsoo was beginning to understand why Jongdae pushes the matter. It was working, and maybe it’s for the good. No one would want a sulking and heartbroken friend all the time. “Sehun, can you please calm down? You are preparing a soup not a luncheon.”

“I’m not panicking,” the other refuted. He winced when he accidentally touched the hot saucepan. “Fine. A bit. I can’t give him any reason to complain about my cooking especially when I’m only trying to help. He can be feisty, you know.”

“Or maybe you are excited to feed him like a prince charming that you are,” Kyungsoo quipped. Sehun gasped. He didn’t expect his nerdy of a friend, of all people, to join Jongdae’s bandwagon. “Prince cha- h-h-hold on what?! I cannot believe I’m hearing this from you! What did Jongdae do, huh?!” He sounded hysterical.

 “Nothing. You are just too obvious about that little crush you have for your innkeeper. Now shut up and get it done,” Kyungsoo deadpanned.

“Huh?! Oh I see. He bribed you, didn’t he? You two are joining forces now,” Sehun accused despairingly, his cheeks suddenly kissed pink.

“I don’t have all day to spare for this cooking ritual, my friend. I have other things to do. Important things.”

“Why are you like this? You’re not very nice anymore,” Sehun kept complaining as he stirred the soup. He tasted it and gagged, “Why is this so bland? Are you sure you’ve told me everything I need to do? I think we missed something. Hmm. Oh crap! I don’t think I’ve added enough water. This is drying out! Quick, Soo! What should I do? Kyungsoo!?!”

With a desolate sigh, Kyungsoo glared at the phone. “One more whine from you, Oh Sehun, and I’m out,” he threatened. It was enough to silence Sehun. Gob smacked, he quietly went back to his cooking and mentally noted to give Jongdae a kick when he gets back to Seoul for turning Kyungsoo into a coldblooded monster.

-

Luhan heard a soft knock. He sat up quickly.

“Luhan? Are you awake? Can I come in?”

Sehun. He rolled out of bed clumsily, tossing away the blanket that’s wrapping his body and scurried to the door. Before he turned the knob, he made sure to clean his face from any possible snot. Tsk! I’m a mess. He exhaled loudly and shook his head. Here we go. “Yes?”

Sehun flashed a coy smile. When Luhan saw what he was holding, he could barely contain his delight. His eyes lit up and his cheeks and ears were turning a deep shade of red.

“I know you said you don’t feel like eating. But I…” Sehun averted his gaze because Luhan was seemingly too expectant to taste the food. He suddenly felt pressured. “…well I prepared this for you. To make you feel better. It’s not the best but…I tried.”

“I’d gladly eat what you’ve prepared,” Luhan answered him honestly. Truth of the matter is, he was famished. As silly as it may sound, he just thought Sehun would at least do something about his food, knowing that he was not feeling his best. Happiness streaked to him like a comet when he realized that the younger cooked him something. It was the first.

Sehun put the tray on the dusty side table. He grimaced. Luhan definitely needs to clean. It’s probably the reason why he’s sick. His room was filled with dust. The floor needs a good scrubbing, too.

“You really need to clean up,” he pointed out, looking around.

Luhan grinned, “Sure. Once I get better. We’ll tidy up not just this room but the entire inn! You and I.”

Sehun raised a brow but he did not argue. Of course, he has to be involved. Luhan had to. “Fine. I’ll do you a favor.”

“Thank you, Sehun-ah!” the other pipped. He emptied the bowl and burped ungracefully. Sehun spun around. His jaw dropped when he saw Luhan lying down, patting his tummy. His soup, the one he tried to perfect for an hour while bickering with Kyungsoo, was all gone—just like that. He didn’t even get to see how Luhan reacted to it.

“So…”

Luhan looked up to him.

“Was it…good?” Sehun asked nonchalantly. He appeared calm but he was pretty anxious to hear Luhan’s answer. Did you like it? Say something!

“Yup! Excellent job, Sehun-ah.”

He frowned, “Are you being sarcastic?”

Luhan fluttered his lashes and smiled, “Of course not.”

“Are you sure?” Sehun questioned with knitted brows, hoping to hear more from him. More good words to be exact.

“I mean it really. I feel better.” Luhan sneezed and instantly shied away, like a deer caught in the headlights. So much for feeling better. He quipped, “Well… somehow.” Cupping his cheeks, he pouted when he realized he was feverish.

Sehun took the tray, hiding a smile. “You better take some aspirin for that.”

 

“Don’t have any.”

 

“I’ll buy then,” Sehun offered as he made his way to the door. His eye twitched at how desperate he sounded. What easier way to mask it off but with an indifferent expression? Luhan studied him curiously, then he beamed. He followed Sehun to the kitchen, covered in blanket from head to toe. Sehun stifled a laugh, seeing him like that. He dropped everything in the sink and hurried upstairs to change.

“Go back and rest,” he told Luhan when the latter followed him on the doorstep.

“Be quick.”

Sehun put on his shoes, nodding.

“Sehun-ah?”

“What?”

Luhan paused, but eventually shook his head, “Never mind.”

He peered through the glass window and waved goodbye to Sehun as the younger journeyed to town. He plopped on the couch, lazy to go back to his room.

He couldn’t care less about the medication. If he’s being honest, he just wanted Sehun to be around—to be near. It makes everything bearable. He tittered when the thought of the other actually pampering him crossed his mind. “You’re one heck of a scatterbrain, Luhan,” he told himself while his lips.

-

Sehun had one goal in mind. He just needed to buy aspirin and go back to the inn so Luhan can take it and feel better. It will tremendously ease his weariness and it’s all good again. But he found himself rooted when he spotted Kai in a fancy café with a woman. He hid behind the signboard outside and watched the scene. The woman looks sophisticated in her blue dress, matching that of Kai’s shirt. She had an adoring smile as they talked. Sehun was unable to see Kai’s expression because he was seated on the other side of the table. It’s that curiosity about the male that’s been lingering in his head since their first meeting that’s always putting him in awkward situations. It was a constant thought that he always tried to reject.

And there’s that thing about the real deal between Luhan and Kai that he needed to confirm.

When he felt like he’s been creeping for long, Sehun made a choice to finally leave the café and go back to the inn. He wasn’t sure what he was expecting to happen between the woman and Kai that drove him to stay in the first place. There’s nothing to see really; just chatting and casual flirting.

 

A matter that shouldn’t bother him.

 

"Right?"

---

A/n: Sorry for the short update. I have not proofread the other chapters so I cannot post them yet. Will do a follow-up after Baekhyun's album promotion. Go stream Candy and Lit. Support our boys!