005

Better Days

“I wonder if this is good enough,” Sehun murmured, checking the red floral polo shirt he had in his baggage. Luhan reminded him multiple times to dress good. The reason? Sehun had no idea. The older also asked him to bring extra clothes in case things get “wild”. He wondered what Luhan meant by that.

Sehun was far from being a party person. If not for Jongdae, he wouldn’t even think about going to those birthday parties thrown by his classmates. Girls tend to crowd around him and Kyungsoo and asked silly questions. Some were bold enough to touch them. Kyungsoo disliked them and their flirtatious ways. He’d rather go on a date with his favorite anime character than deal with their advances. Sehun wanted nothing to do with them neither. Those times, he was all about Baekhyun. He could not imagine dating other people apart from the boy.

 

Shaking the unwanted thoughts away, Sehun checked himself in the mirror. He fixed his hair a bit and straightened his collar. Satisfied, he placed everything he needed on the bed. He then went downstairs to see Luhan to tell him that he’s ready, and that he had no reason to nag anymore.  

Surprisingly, there was no one in the counter. This is odd. Where did he go? Without nothing much to do, Sehun looked around the living room, inspecting antique collections of random furniture on the shelves. There were picture frames but the photos were either faded or smudged with ink. Clocks, old coins and fine China—they were mostly covered in dust. Luhan was definitely not the neat type.

Sehun peered outside. The street was not as busy—a couple of people here and there. A group of tourists was on the look for a place to stay. They went inside the inn across the street, the one Sehun had avoided because of the overbearing ladies. He glanced at the signboard above him.

Apollo at Dawn; still with the crooked letters. No wonder people don’t bother to check the place. It really looked topsy-turvy from the outside. Luhan had a lot of things to alter if he wants to earn a living. 

Speaking of the devil. He heard the sound of the motorbike coming his way. It was Kai with Luhan waving behind him.

“Hey, Sehun! I’m back.”

 

“I can see that.”

 

Luhan cackled, “Look at these peaches. Kai is generous to give plenty for the two of us. We’re being spoiled!”

Sehun’s eyes shifted from Luhan’s amused face to that of Kai’s. The latter appeared different. His hair was a deep shade of brown, pushed back neatly in a clean-cut style. He was dressed in some fancy blue pull over shirt. Sehun guessed it was intended for the party.

“Yo, Sehun,” Kai greeted.

“Uh. Hey.”

“Sehun’s coming with me to the party,” Luhan informed, giving Sehun that pleased look.

“Of course he is,” Kai replied, draping his arm loosely around Luhan’s shoulder. He then turned to Sehun. “I know he’ll drag you along and you can’t do anything about it. He will be a pain in the if you dare refuse.” A little smile formed on his lips. “But I guess you already know that. You were spending so much time together.”

Sehun had no idea how to react so he returned the smile with one of his own. It was impossible to ignore the way Kai rested his chin on Luhan’s head.

As Luhan began his chatter about what he expects at the party, Sehun’s mind wandered off to some weird places again; bizarre places…. with inappropriate scenarios.

 

Like Kai kissing Luhan.

 

 

And Luhan kissing Kai.

 

 

Them kissing each other.

 

On the bed.

 

In Luhan’s room.

 

 

Ah ! Not this again!

 

 

 “Yah Sehun! Are you even listening to me?” Luhan griped, sensing the lack of attention from the younger.

Sehun jerked at his sudden outburst. Luhan may be little in size but his voice was thunderous especially when he’s being whiny. “I…! What were you saying? I was distracted for a moment. Something just came to mind.”

“Oh really?” Luhan dared sassily, inching closer to Sehun until there’s little distance between their faces; the corner of his lips quirked up. It was his futile attempt to provoke. “I bet it’s something dirty because you are clearly blushing—“

If Luhan knew what he was thinking, Sehun was certain he, too, would blush. Or even melt into a paddle.

“Tell us what’s on your mind, Sehun-ah. Go on. Don’t be shy.”

Kai held Luhan back, covering his mouth, when the male attempted to get away from his hold. “Easy, tiger. You’re stressing him out.”

Luhan gave him the side-eye, displeased at the lack of support from his best friend, “But I’m curious! I want to know what he was thinking!”

“That curiosity will bite you in the one day.”

 

“Still! Sehun, you better tell me—“

 

“Shall I tighten my grip, Lu? Or do you need more pounding on the head?” The taller male threatened, now pulling Luhan in a choke hold. Sehun was uncomfortable to say the least; being the onlooker and watching them wrestle, even if it was only play (rough play!). For a brief moment, he thought of stopping them but he quickly rejected the idea, seeing Luhan already nipping Kai’s arm. He couldn’t believe he was the maknae there.

 

 

The little match halted when Kai’s phone rang. Luhan hit his chest one last time before fixing himself and his wrinkled shirt. Sehun kept his distance to be safe. I don’t wanna get bitten!

 

“Let me guess. It was your mom.”

 

Kai nodded. “They need me there. Be ready by 6, you two. I’ll be back to fetch you.”

 

“No need. We can go there by ourselves. Right, Sehun-ah?” Luhan replied, standing closely to younger. He was already waving goodbye to Kai.

 

 

It was so subtle. Luhan could not have noticed as it happened in a fleeting second, but Sehun did. He caught the expression of disbelief in Kai’s eyes. Sehun didn’t miss how the light on his face faded.

His gaze caught Sehun’s and although he smiled at him, Sehun felt something weird in his chest. It didn’t feel right at all.

-

The drive to the mansion was a fairly short but to reach the main ground, Sehun and Luhan had to walk for a couple of minutes and pass through the crowd of people. Sehun gaped at the towering doorway of the mansion. Compared to the houses he had seen before, this one was dauntingly massive. The white-framed structure stood breathtakingly in the middle of the courtyard. Sehun’s eyes feasted on the warm fairy lights hanging from one tree to another. He noticed some couples taking pictures together in the fountain area in which tables and benches were settled. The atmosphere was energetic because of the upbeat music playing in the background.

It was clear to Sehun that Kai and his family were very influential. Apart from the businesses they have in and out of Hampyeong, they also own the biggest agricultural land in the Jeolla province, according to Luhan. Kai was the only son and he will eventually inherit everything. Sehun wondered what it feels like to be an heir.

 

 

“Love what you’re seeing so far, Sehun-ah?” Luhan prompted as they continued to stroll.

Sehun glanced at him and nodded, “This is the first party I have attended with so many people. I feel like I can get lost here.”

“That’s going to happen if you get too distracted. I won’t be able to help you if some beetle-browed witch decides to kidnap and take advantage of you,” Luhan reminded, his squinting eyes darted behind Sehun. “Especially that one.”

Witch? As Sehun looked back to see what Luhan was glowering about, he saw Minjie watching them with two other girls. Aha. He has a point.

“Come on,” Luhan hollered. “Let’s get out of here before she caused a scene.” Sehun immediately followed. They ended up in the fountain area where the biggest crowd, consisting of teenagers, was. Luhan sat beside him, holding a fruit punch for the both of them.

“I wonder where Kai is,” he muttered, leisurely sipping his drink. They agreed to meet at the fountain area but so far, there was no Kai in sight. Not long, a male with thick-rimmed glasses approached them. He sat beside Luhan and started to chat. Sehun was listening casually as they conversed. He could tell that they’re old friends. Luhan was asking so many questions—being his usual nosy self.

“Oh by the way, Leo. This is my friend Sehun.”

(Yup. I’m still here. Thank you for remembering!)

The guy bowed kindly. Sehun did, too.

“He is spending his summer vacation here. He’s currently staying at my inn,” Luhan added.

“I’m sure you are loving your stay here, Sehun. With Luhan, there is no dull moment.”

Neither peace and quiet. Sehun thought—his lips curved into a sly smile. “You’re right.”

Luhan butted in, “He definitely is! I showed him the real wonders of Hampyeong without asking for commission. He’s lucky he met an awesome friend like me!” His boisterous laugh filled the air.

Leo only nodded. He took a quick glance at Sehun and back to Luhan, sizing him up, “So you chose to stay. I heard it didn’t work out with him. I was surprised. You were unstoppable back then.”

Sehun saw how Luhan flinch—his smile disappeared in the blink of an eye. He sat still and didn’t say anything until Leo broke the silence with an apology. “I’m sorry, Luhan. I shouldn’t have said that.”

Luhan avoided his gaze, “It’s fine, Leo. That was in the past.” He was nibbling the straw nervously. He tried to smile. There was nothing but tension after that. Leo excused himself after some moment and left Luhan in a quiet disposition. Sehun began to sweat. “I’m going to grab another drink. Do you want me to get you something?” he asked the older cautiously.

Luhan shook his head.

How many times do I have to be involved in awkward situations like this? Sehun pondered, rubbing his nape.  “Okay then. I’ll be back.”

 

“Wait, Sehun.” Luhan suddenly grabbed his shirt.

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

Luhan took the empty cup from Sehun’s hand in a hurried pace, “I’ll do it for you. Stay here and wait for Kai.” He didn’t give Sehun a chance to respond before leaving.

 

What’s with that? Sehun was left with a chaotic mind.

 

 

“Hey.”

 

It was Kai, standing in front of him with a half-empty bottle of beer in his hand. Sehun acknowledged him with a small wave. He might as well prepare for more tensed moments.

 

“Where’s the feisty one?” Kai asked, giving emphasis to the word feisty.

 

Definitely Luhan. Sehun pointed at the crowd of people. “He went over there to grab a drink.”

 

Kai scanned the area and spotted Luhan’s back. The latter was waiting for his turn to get his cocktail.

 

“Do you smoke?” Kai asked, offering Sehun his box of cigarette.

The younger declined. He turned his attention to Luhan as Kai lit his cigar. The smoke obscured his vision for a moment.

 

“Sehun.”

 

 

It took a moment for Sehun to realize that Kai was initiating a conversation. Apparently, he was too busy thinking what he should do. They did not have anything in particular to talk about. Sehun laid out a list of possible topics in his mind. They can talk about Luhan. He better not, recalling the scene that afternoon with Kai. That was eliminated quickly. They can talk about the party. That’s a good one. But what should he say? Should he compliment the place? The grandiose decorations? The music? The people? Sehun was beginning to panic. He definitely has a lot to learn about socialization. The silence between them was really getting into him. That was until Kai called his name.

 

 

“Sehun…… how do you find the party?”

 

Okay good. I can answer that.  “This is my first time to go to such a big celebration. It’s very interesting. Lots of people. Everyone looks like they’re having fun,” Sehun expressed. He tried to sound calm and sincere.

 

“What about you?”

 

I can twist it a little. “I’m enjoying it so far.”

 

Kai patted his shoulder, “That’s good to hear. There are more things you’ll see and get to experience later. It will be fun as Luhan promised. After all, we don’t want to disappoint our guests, especially those who are spending their summer vacation here.”

“I am looking forward then,” Sehun assured him. He certainly hoped things would lighten up.

The interaction between him and Kai ended when Luhan joined them. His face wasn’t as pale as before, Sehun took notice. He handed the drink and sat in between the two males.  

“What happened to you?” Kai probed. Luhan turned to face him, “What do you mean?”

“You don’t look as lively.”

Sehun knew exactly what Kai meant but Luhan dodged the queries by being sarcastic, “This party, too, don’t you think?”

Kai’s lips quirked up, “Oh? What do you suggest we do to make this party better then?”

Luhan’s cheeky smile finally appeared, “I told you before. Is it happening?”

“No,” Kai deadpanned. Luhan grumbled and turned to the other boy, “If I had known, I would have let Minjie caused a scene. That way, there’s something here worth watching.”

 

Sehun glared at him, “You can’t sell me out.”

 

Luhan laughed at his response. “Aww! Too bad!” He went to playfully ruffle Sehun’s hair.

 

Kai tipped Luhan’s chin so the latter was facing him, “Lu, there seems to be a group of girls wanting to talk to Sehun over there. Look.” He pointed at their direction with his lips.

Luhan did see a couple of girls eyeing Sehun. They hid their faces when they realized they were being watched. Sehun caught one giving him a small smile. He averted his eyes from their flirtatious gaze.

“Girls are getting bolder these days,” Luhan commented, blinking rapidly. Sehun couldn’t agree more.

“Parties are held for people to know each other, Lu. It’s acceptable. If you find someone you’re interested in or want to make friends with, then you go chat with them. That’s how it works.”

Luhan nudged him lightly, chuckling, “I know that, you blockhead. I’m just amazed at how transparent they are.”

“Can you blame them? Sehun looks really cool tonight.”

 Luhan snorted, eyeing Sehun from head to toe, “Really? He looks okay.”

Sehun raised a brow at his remark.

Luhan smirked, seeing him offended.

Kai quickly flicked Luhan’s forehead to prevent an argument from blowing up. “Don’t get started now.”

“Kidding! Of course Sehun looks handsome! I asked him to dress good tonight. I guess it’s working,” Luhan said proudly. His eyes turned into beautiful crescents.

“Thanks?” Sehun answered in a sarcastic tone, making the older stick out his tongue like a child.

 “You might want to talk to them, Sehun,” Kai encouraged. “They’re probably waiting for you to approach. Us being here is a hindrance. Right, Lu?”

Luhan said something inaudible under his breath.

 Sehun attempted to hide the embarrassment by clearing his throat, “I’m not interested. I’d rather stay here.”

Truth is, he was never fascinated with females. They can be cute and pretty in his eyes but that’s about it. Right from the start, Sehun knew his preference. His mom knew as well, especially when he began to develop feelings towards Baekhyun. She didn’t make a fuss about it. She seemed to understand and support whatever Sehun feels and he was really thankful for that.

“I see. That’s fine, too.” Kai didn’t push the matter any longer, seeing Sehun’s distress expression. He went back to cradle Luhan’s face and played with his chin. 

The fireworks display started an hour later.  Kai brought Sehun and Luhan to where the live band was. People huddled with drinks in their hands. Luhan looked around, searching where he could grab one for himself.

“Don’t even think about it,” Kai warned. “You’re a terrible drinker, Lu. Please don’t ruin the night for us.”

Luhan pouted, staring enviously at other people. While Kai checked his phone, he crept behind Sehun and whispered, “Get one for me, Sehun-ah.”

“I don’t want to be involved in this,” was Sehun’s cold and firm answer. Luhan kept protesting in the corner.

Sehun ignored him and watched the band played. He had no idea who they were but their music was pleasant—popish and catchy. Curious, he moved closer to the stage to see the written name on the backdrop. It was small and he had to squint his eyes to get a clear look. He also took pictures from his phone and sent it to Jongdae. He felt bad after ignoring his calls. That was some form of apology that Sehun hoped his buddy accepts. As he did so, he didn’t notice the flock of other spectators behind him. The youngsters were already dancing and goofing around as the DJ hyped up the music. When Sehun looked back to his companions, he realized that Kai and Luhan were far-off from him. He struggled to move through the ocean of people to reach them.

Bright lights in different color suddenly filled the open area. Sehun heard a loud blustering sound and the next thing he knew, he was covered in suds and bubbles. He lost sight of Luhan and Kai. It got more difficult to find them with the white foam in the air.

 

 

 

 

Kai helped Luhan remove the thick layer of foam on his face. The latter was grinning, clearly amused at the situation.

“Are you happy I have granted your wish?” Kai asked, taking his time cleaning the boy’s face. It was Luhan’s idea to throw a foam party this year. He almost begged Kai to do it after he saw a clip on the web about one in Cancun. He thought it would be a splendid idea.

“I guess I have to thank you. I really thought you wouldn’t.”

 

 

 

 

Kai’s eyes softened. He ran his thumb across Luhan’s cheek, “You are mistaken. You know I’d do anything for you.”

 

 

 

Luhan’s grin turned into a half-smile. He looked the other way, distaste stirring within him. Scenes from the past swept over his mind. “Don’t talk like that,” he whispered in a quavering voice. What he meant was “Don’t lie like that.”

 Kai clenched as the warmth disappeared from his grasp.

 

“We need to find Sehun,” Luhan said in a haste but Kai held him back once more. This time, he was more forceful. “You are not going anywhere.”

 

“Let go, Kai.”

 

“Enough of this. You have been so fixated with that boy it’s ridiculous,” the taller male accused. His grip on Luhan’s wrist was so tight his nails were almost sinking into the sensitive skin. “I can see what you’re trying to do. You’re only hurting yourself.”

 

“What are you saying? Are you crazy?!”

 

“Don’t drag Sehun into this."

 

Luhan’s expression turned dire. He swatted Kai’s hand, freeing himself. “You’re seriously making me mad right now.”

 

“Lu, I don’t want this to get out of hand. I’m telling you because I care. I still care,” Kai almost pleaded.

Luhan laughed grimly, rage pulsing through his veins. His eyes flashed with fury. “I don’t have to explain things to you, Kai. We’ve dealt with this before. I am under no obligation to follow whatever it is that you want me to do! Not anymore.”

The commotion was left unnoticed by the crowd. The furious voices were drowned by the loud music. Amidst the happy atmosphere, Luhan’s eyes welled with tears. Washed with guilt seeing him hurt, Kai heaved a sigh, cursing under his breath. He pulled Luhan in a suffocating embrace. “I hate seeing you so desperate for his attention. If this is a way to distract yourself, I’m telling you now it isn’t going to work.”

“You have no idea, Kai. Up until now, you refuse to listen to me. You just think what you want to think.” Luhan pushed him away. His glare travelled with unnerving thoroughness.

Kai reached for him and cupped his cheeks, “I’m doing this for your own sake.”

 

Luhan shut his eyes. He was getting more frustrated every second. “You know what, let’s stop this. I’m leaving.”

 

 

 

“Luhan—“

 

 

 

The boy refused to look back and blended in with the crowd. Kai stared at his retreating figure. The best friend he knew was turning into a stranger once again.

 

 

Just like that night when he succumbed to fear and broke Luhan’s heart.

-

Sehun waited at the gateway as people began to leave the courtyard. It was past midnight. He changed into a new shirt after getting wet from the foam party. He hoped Luhan would eventually find him there.

 

He spotted the boy walking alone. His hair was wet and he looked disoriented. Sehun made his way and approached him.

“Found you.”

Luhan looked up to him, stunned.

“Are you okay?” Sehun asked, seeing the redness under Luhan’s eyes. The older nodded, “Just fine. Where did you go? I tried looking for you.”

“Got distracted. Sorry.”

Sehun noticed that Kai wasn’t with him. “Where’s Kai?”

Luhan rubbed his temple and started walking, “He had something else to do.”

“Oh.” Sehun’s eyes trained on Luhan’s soaked hair. He quickly grabbed a towel from his sling bag and handed it to the older. Luhan accepted it after staring at the younger’s hand for a good second.

“Thanks, Sehun-ah,” he expressed while drying his hair.

“And to think you’re the one who insisted to bring an extra shirt. You haven’t brought one for yourself.”

“I forgot.”

Sehun huffed, placing a loose tank top on Luhan’s shoulder, “You’re welcome.” He actually added another top when he saw the other male without any bag before they left for the party.

“I’m impressed,” Luhan commented with a tired but grateful smile. He turned around and changed.

 

The evening summer breeze enveloped them. Gleaming stars surround the radiance of the full moon above. It was a romantic sight and couples were being intimate with each other on the side walk. Sehun saw a boy almost undressing a girl as they kissed. Others were decent enough to just settle with holding each other hands while walking. He swallowed a big lump on his throat.

He wondered if Luhan saw them, too. Sehun turned his way and caught a glimpse the latter’s . Across the expanse of skin was a prominent dark pattern—a feather, running along Luhan’s spine.

 

Sehun tried not to stare.

 

He ended up gawking.

 

He blamed it on the moonlight—how Luhan’s skin glimmered before him, how his side profile looked breathtaking. No human being could possibly ignore that.

 

After Luhan was fully dressed, he found Sehun walking ahead of him. He quietly trailed behind the boy.

 

 

 

The walk back to the inn was fairly quiet. Luhan asked Sehun about the party once. The brief exchanged ended with a soft hum from the older.

 

Sehun was nibbling his bottom lip anxiously. He could feel Luhan’s eyes on him. He was sweating and his face was visibly red. He hated how the little things he notices about Luhan affect him so much lately. He recalled what Jongdae told him the other day when he sent him photos of his escapade with the older.  

 

“Don’t you hold back, Hun! He might be interested in you. Go with the flow and have some little summer fling over there.”

“I didn’t come here for that, you freak! Besides, he’s with someone.”

“Who? The best friend you were telling me?”

“Yes. His name is Kai.”

Jongdae rolled his eyes, “You aren’t sure about that. You said it yourself.”

“Ugh. Can we talk about something else?”

“No,” Jongdae deadpanned. He checked his phone and grinned, “He’s actually my type.”

“WHAT?!”

“What? He’s gorgeous! Are you blind?”

Sehun groaned.

 “If I’m not being a good friend to you, I will go there and take him. Damn he looks hot. Look at those lips.”

“You’re a ert!”

“I sure am! An irresistible ert!” Jongdae proclaimed. Sehun heard Kyungsoo’s voice in the background. Then a loud thud.

Sehun decided to end the call after that, knowing Kyungsoo had done his job well.

 

Sehun couldn’t bring himself to face Luhan when he called his name. Not after remembering Jongdae’s fantasies. He was momentarily relieved to know that they were only few steps away from the inn.

 

 “Sehun. Problem,” Luhan informed.

 

Uh-oh. “Why? What’s wrong?”

 

“I forgot my key.”

 

Sehun, with no other choice, turned to him. Luhan smiled apologetically, “We have to go through the window from your room.”

 

Sehun looked up and sighed. “I can’t possibly reach that. Is there any other way?”

 

“I can kick the door as hard as I can and break a few bones,” Luhan proposed. Sehun rejected it right away, clicking his tongue at how foolish the idea was. Luhan was taking things so lightly.

 

“Climb on my back. You can reach it if we do it this way.”

 

Luhan took his time to think.

 

“Hurry up, will you?” Sehun groaned at him, getting impatient. The older carefully scrambled on his back and reached for the window pane.

 

“Did it work?”

 

“Yeah!”

 

“Great.”

 

Sehun inched closer to the wall so Luhan could grab onto the window safely. In this attempt to do so, he missed to see the potted plants on his way and crash into them, losing his grip on Luhan’s legs.

Luhan failed to grab the window pane and fell into Sehun’s arms. The impact weighed both of them down to the ground.

 

 

 

Sehun’s heart did a somersault when he realized that Luhan was on top of him. The pain-stricken male grunted in his ears, struggling to get up. Sehun seemed to forget that he, too, was aching seconds ago.

 

Luhan lifted his head and found a thunderstruck Sehun under him. The plumpness of his lips brushed slightly on the side of his face.

 

Too shocked to move, Sehun stared back at the person before him with bewildered eyes. Their lips were dangerously close. It was impossible to breathe freely with the close proximity.

 

Luhan merely softened his gaze. He relished the sight of the other. He knew it was coming. He didn’t have much of a will to resist. His chest burned with passion as he felt Sehun’s arms around his waist. He had been thinking about it—in his sleep, every time he’s with him, what if feels to be bound by those arms. He tried to ignore the growing attraction he had for the younger but the more he repels, the wilder his feelings become. He couldn’t even remember how it started. He just looked at Sehun one day and his heart yearned for him.

When Sehun felt the pair of warm lips against his, it almost knocked all the wind out of his lungs. His eyes closed as Luhan cupped his face. He wondered about it. How it would feel against his. He lied to himself and tried to disregard the fuzzy feeling he has whenever he is with Luhan, because for Sehun, the emotion doesn’t make sense. He knew who owns his heart and for the longest time he thought no one can change that. But somehow, Luhan opened a possibility.

 

The self-control he carries waned at that moment. The soft touch of Luhan’s fingers and his little moans spiraled a feeling of want in Sehun’s body. Desire coursed through him for the first time. He found himself helplessly responding to the kiss.
 

 

It was his first kiss.

 

 

And it was excruciatingly beautiful.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you for subscribing. Don't hesitate to share your thoughts. All the best! xoxo