004

Better Days

It shouldn’t bother Sehun because what he saw had nothing to do with him personally. Luhan’s love life was none of his business. If he and Kai were more than just best of friends, then cool. He convinced himself that it wasn’t peculiar. Yet he found himself constantly thinking about the scene. Sehun was shock to say the least. Kai didn’t look like the type of guy to…do those intimate things. But then again, he knew nothing. His opinion was baseless. Up until then, he was a mere stranger even if Luhan claimed otherwise.

He began to wonder if Luhan was even awaken by the kiss. When Sehun retreated to his room, the last thing he saw was the boy whining in his sleep. Kai stopped abruptly and shifted his position to face the opposite direction.

Questions floated in his head. He had lots of assumptions. He wanted to stop but curiosity was at peak. He had to constantly distract himself.

For couple days, Luhan followed Sehun wherever he goes—no Kai hanging around. He didn’t show up for days which made Sehun wonder even more. He was hesitant to ask Luhan, afraid of misunderstanding to arise.

“Pineapple for two, please.” He heard Luhan peep on the side, eagerly waiting for his shaved ice. He handed one to Sehun.

“Thanks.”

Luhan nodded and they started walking along the roadside. Tourists and vacationers flocked the town. There were more people than usual. The street was lively. They passed by cotton candy stalls and sellers of colorful balloons. Luhan stopped for a moment to admire, together with other kids. He looked more thrilled than them. Sehun questioned his maturity at that point.

It wasn’t his intention to gaze for too long. Maybe it was the clear lighting that made Luhan appear charming—surreal. Perhaps it was the morning breeze gently caressing his golden-brown locks that’s messing with Sehun’s vision. Or his radiant smile that accentuates his features. Whatever that moment was, it left Sehun staring…. like there’s no one else around. It was a brief moment when their eyes met. Luhan’s smile slowly faded. He stared back at Sehun with those glistening doe eyes. Sehun couldn’t look away. It didn’t help that the blasting music [A Dream of You  by Far Caspian] from a shop nearby was in sync with his own heartbeat.

 

He caught himself right back when a small girl bumped into him. He chose to bury the confusing thought in the depths of his consciousness because it was getting harder to breathe. “I’m leaving,” he managed to call, strutting away.

 

“Wait for me!” Luhan ran towards him. He walked closer to Sehun. That radiant smile appeared again.

 

Earlier, Sehun told Luhan that he wanted to go shopping to buy a couple of shirts because the ones he brought were too thick and tight-fitting for his liking. Luhan offered to help him, convincing Sehun that he knows a boutique that sells cheap clothes perfect for the summer. Now if there’s one thing Sehun had learn from being with Luhan for a while that is the fact that no matter how many times he refused his offer, the other would always find a way to change his mind. He’s persistent. Since Luhan will be his company for the entire day (yet again), Sehun thought he’d start with a little playful tease. Seeing an opportunity to irritate the older, Sehun feigned concern and told him to just rest because he had a hard time last night with his soju.

“I mean you were knocked out really hard last night. Are you sure you’ll be fine? No hang over? Headache? Shame?”

Luhan knew he was being mocked but to Sehun’s surprise, he only rolled his eyes.

That’s it?! He’s not gonna resist? Whoa. This is new.

“Nice try, Sehun-ah. No one’s giving in. Try harder next time,” Luhan said simply before happily skipping away. Sehun felt like an idiot to even think for a second that he could defeat Luhan’s annoying .

 

 

Indeed, the boutique Luhan was talking about had nice set of shirts and tank tops for a low price. Sehun was relieved to see only few customers. The shop was pretty small but clean and pleasant looking nonetheless. He was preoccupied with choosing a good color for a tank top when Luhan appeared beside him. “That yellow one will definitely look good on you.”

 

Sehun ignored him. Luhan snorted at his lack of interest. Without someone to talked to, he looked around…and wheezed loudly when he saw a yellow beanie in stock. He quickly tried it on and showed Sehun.

“Let me guess. Your favorite color is yellow,” Sehun deadpanned, turning his back. He was consumed in his own task to get a white loose shirt for himself. He was starting to sweat and Luhan’s chatter wasn’t helping.

“That’s right! Yellow makes me happy. It reminds me of sunflowers and honeybees. So, does it look good on me?” Luhan asks.

 

“……”

 

“Sehun!”

 

“……”

 

“Sehun-ah~”

 

“…..”

“Stop ignoring me, Sehunnieeee!”

Sehun spun around, gritting his teeth. He had that smile but his eyes were saying otherwise. “It looks AMAZING on you, Luhan-hyung!”

 

Luhan’s face darkened for a moment. He then hit Sehun’s arm. “Don’t call me that.”

 

Ouch! “What? I’m just being polite.” Sehun had that look of triumph on his face. A realization dawned on him—one petty word to his advantage. Luhan was left speechless and it made him smirk even more. “What are you pouting for, hyung? That long face of yours doesn’t match with the pretty beanie.”

“Asdfslgjsghs!”

 

Sehun cracked an amused smile. “You asked for it. Try harder next time, right?” He mimicked Luhan’s voice that made the older scowl even more.

 

Luhan walked away, grumbling. “You’re not being cute anymore, Sehun-ah.”

 

“What’s that, hyung~?”

 

“NOTHING! Hurry up and pay for that already.” He tossed the beanie to Sehun with a wink. “And this, too. A consolation because I’m letting you win.”

 

Sehun was shaking his head.

 

But he paid for the damn beanie anyway.

 

Luhan flashed a smile as they exited the shop.

 

-

It wasn’t Luhan’s intention to gaze for too long. Sehun had changed into the white tank top he bought from the boutique. They’ve decided to rent bicycles and go for a tour at the famous Hampyeong flower fields. Maybe it was the summer heat that made Luhan squirm uncomfortably as his eyes trained along Sehun’s broad shoulders. Or his crooked beam that keeps Luhan on his feet. Perhaps it was just his imagination but the younger’s eyes weren’t as cold as before.

Sehun felt the weight of someone staring at him.

 

 

 

Luhan turned his eyes on the road, speeding up. He was now ahead of Sehun. Once in a while, he’d glance behind to see if the latter was following him.

 

As soon as they reached a shaded area to park their bicycles, Sehun indulged in taking photos, noting mentally to send a few to Jongdae and Kyungsoo. With thousands of flowers in bloom, including sunflowers and marigolds, it’s impossible not to be in awe.

Sehun checked the films and smiled contently. He glanced to where his companion was and saw the boy staring at him. Without a word, he snapped a photo of a surprised Luhan.

 

“I’m thirsty,” Luhan nagged as they headed to their next destination that day—the lake behind Yongcheonsa temple. He stopped at a vending machine and asked Sehun for money. When the younger frowned, he quickly defended himself, telling the younger that he left his wallet.

“Why do I have to buy things for you?”

 

Luhan bat his lashes, “Because you’re a good person, Sehun.”

 

“You can’t be certain about that,” Sehun argued.

 

 

“I just know. I can feel it.” Luhan replied, cocking his head to see Sehun’s face. He was studying him; the way he would react.

 

 

“……”

 

 

The only way to hide his flushed cheeks from Luhan was to step away and get that freaking drink the older wanted. Sehun clicked his tongue. The heat was seriously making him sweat.

 

-

The lake was far more beautiful than Sehun had hoped for. He had seen postcards from Hampyeong with the image of the lake. Those photos were not able to capture the real beauty of the place. The water was in the lightest shade of blue. The reflection of the mountain was minted onto its surface. He saw other tourists taking a dip. They looked like they were having the time of their lives.

Before he knew it, Luhan was already paddling on a small boat. “Sehun-ah!” He waved, gesturing the boy to join him.

But as far as lakes go, Sehun could only admire it from a safe distance. The universe knows how much he tried to overcome his fear of the open water after his traumatic experience. But up until then, he just couldn’t free himself from fear. He could only do little.

Taking tentative steps, he sat on a platform, letting his feet touch the water.

“You’re not coming?” Luhan asked, clearly disappointed. Sehun shook his head, “I can’t swim. I don’t want to trouble you if something happens.” It was the most honest he had ever been with Luhan and it wasn’t left unnoticed by the older. He then paddled towards Sehun. “I’ll join you here.”

 

“You don’t have to.”

 

 

Quietly, he sat beside Sehun and watched the view.

 

The silence between them forced Sehun’s mind  to wander in the past.

In the past, he had a dream. His innocent self dreamed of having Baekhyun by his side. He imagined them being together just like that, admiring the wonders of the world. It was Sehun’s vow to make him happy as much as he could.

Too much romantic thoughts bit him hard in the end.

Once again, Sehun had to mentally scold himself for reminiscing. He wasn’t helping himself by imagining things that were impossible to happen.

With a long sigh, he prepared to leave. “Let’s head back,” he said, standing up to stretch. When he received no response from Luhan, he looked down and realized the boy fell asleep.

Luhan’s unique way of sleeping while sitting caught the attention of passers-by. Sehun observed them on the side. Some found Luhan peculiar by the way they inched farther. Most, though, were obviously smitten. Sehun caught a group of girls giggling while taking a closer look at him. Sehun could only scratch his head.

 

Luhan was yawning nonstop on their way back to the inn. Sehun noticed the deep crease on his forehead. He was definitely not happy being awaken. Sehun had no choice though. It was getting dark and they had a long way to go.

 

Sehun offered to buy food for them. He knew Luhan wouldn’t be in the best mood to prepare dinner. They ate together. With every bite of fried chicken, Luhan was quickly regaining his energy. Sehun watched him nibble. The older was humming—his feet were swaying back and forth under the table. And he’s back.

 

“Why are you grinning?”

 

Sehun dropped his beef. Luhan caught him. “Just because,” he replied. He had to stop himself from laughing. He didn’t want to point out that Luhan had sauce on his nose.

Let it stay there, he thought—his evil side obviously winning. It was for the humor and not because Luhan looked adorable when clueless.

 

 

“I enjoyed today, Sehun. What about you?”

That came out of nowhere. Sehun shrugged, “It was okay.”

Luhan rolled his eyes, clearly displeased.

“Hey. I was joking. Today was fun,” Sehun replied, giving him what he wanted to hear. Luhan’s face lit up. He looked proud.

 

 

 

“Sehun.”

 

 

 

“Hm?”

 

 

“I am about to tell you something special. Don’t get too flustered.”

Sehun eyed him curiously, “Oh? What is it?”

 

Luhan looked deep into his eyes. He smiled, “I hope that you’ll get over that fear someday. I know it’s not easy but it’s not impossible either. You will get by.”

 

Sehun shifted uneasily in his seat, “You mean the water?”

 

“Hm. I felt it. You wanted to reach out but something is stopping you. It must have been hard to just look at something you wish to experience.”

 

 

Sehun was silent. The atmosphere suddenly changed. Luhan was looking at him with such deep eyes. That expression was new. He hadn’t seen it before. It was not intimidating but Sehun couldn’t deny its weight. Those eyes were almost piercing. Under the kitchen light, Sehun found himself breathless. He could get lost in those eyes.

 

Luhan must have sensed his discomfort because his eyes widened in recognition, as if he caught himself doing something inappropriate, and instantly looked down.

 

He chuckled, wiping the stain on his nose, “Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

 

“I am not.”

 

Luhan was relieved to hear this. “Good.”

 

Sehun leaned back on his chair, blinking against the flickering light of the rusty lamp above him. He whispered his thanks to Luhan, who acknowledged him with a soft hum.

 

 

 

 

That night, Sehun dreamed about him for the first time.

 

 

 

 

 

-

“Today’s the day!” Luhan announced so loud that people on the streets stopped on their tracks and studied him inquisitively. Sehun apologized on his behalf. He turned to Luhan and asked what he was being so noisy about. The older shoved a leaflet on his face. Sehun groaned, “That was unnecessary.”

“Sorry. I got pretty excited.”

 

“This is an invitation to a party,” Sehun noted. There was a picture of the venue and the time of the said event on the paper.

 

“Right. Look who owns this mansion.”

 

“The Kim Family,” Sehun read.

 

“Right again! Kai’s family is holding a big party tonight. Everyone is invited. Literally everyone in town. It’s like an open house.”

 

Oh. Yeah. Kai. Sehun almost forgot about Kai. Luhan hadn’t mentioned his name and it somehow slipped his mind after the past events. “Guess they’re really wealthy.”

 

Luhan nodded. He then tugged Sehun along, “We better dress up. We’re going.”

 

“Uhm—I don’t think…”

 

“It’s gonna be fun, Sehun! Even a peasant like myself can go there and no one will notice me. But if Kai’s mom does, then we’ll just figure out what to do next.” He leaned closer to Sehun and whispered. “Fun fact. She really dislikes me.”

 

 

 

Sehun felt like he was about to step into trouble.