don't

best friend zone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

(while mina was in the detention room...)

nayeon places her duffel on the ground. she’s arrived their designated area of the field before her teammates and all the other teams have either begun practice or have only begun to gather around. nayeon waits a few more minutes before two other members arrive, inseparable as usual.

“hi nayeon unnie!” the ginger, Sana, greets with her ever bright smile.

“hello, cap’n.” the blonde, Momo, greets as well, with a dopey grin.

“hi you two!” she exclaims. “could i ask you for a quick favor please?”

“sure!” sana replies.

“i have to go back inside school to do something, it’ll take a few minutes at most. could you guys start warm-ups if i take any longer?” she asks urgently.

sana and momo exchange looks as if passing a mental message.

“yeah of course, unnie.” momo responds for the both of them. “take your time.”

nayeon sighs gratefully. “i can always depend on you two! thank you so much. i’ll be back okay?”

with that, she runs off in the direction of the restrooms with the two best friends watching her, in shock.

“nayeon unnie never runs.” sana’s eyes are wide.

momo nods in agreement, a similar expression on her face.

“what do you think? number 1 or number 2?”

sana tilts her head, watchin their captain run. "number 2, most definitely."

--

nayeon is panting heavily when she arrives at the door. running across the field had been such a workout. thankfully, just as she had expected, myoui mina is in the detetntion classroom. but the blonde doesn’t even bother looking at her. she’s busy staring at the desk and nayeon can’t help but feel a bit offended. mina should’ve felt nayeon’s presence arrive, yet she looked as if she cared more about the writings on the desk than anything else.

“ahem” nayeon coughs, and in just a second, the blonde looks up and for a split second nayeon swears that she looks starstruck.

“im nayeon” she says. it’s the first time nayeon’s ever heard the other girl say her name

‘good, you know my name.’ nayeon thinks to herself.

“what are you doing here?” mina asks, turning to the window this time, as if she could care less that nayeon’s here.

the short-haired brunette has to hold in a scoff. but she knows she doesn’t have the right to be angry at the blonde so she lowers her ego.

“look, jeongyeon told me what happened.” she starts, twiddling her fingers. “i just wanna say thank you. you really saved me. especially since it’s competition week, i really can’t afford to miss practice for detention.”

mina still hasn’t even spared her a glance and it irks nayeon to her core. but she takes a deep breath to control herself.

“i’m really sorry, i got you involved in something that i should have been punished for. it’s my fault. you shouldn’t have to spend your precious time in detention.” she apologizes. “i promise to make it up to you.”

but mina still refuses to look her and nayeon decides she can’t hold in her patience any longer.

“hey look,” she starts, stepping closer. “i know you might be angry but i didn’t ask you to take the blame for me. i’m totally fine telling the teacher that it was my notebook all along so if that’s what you want--”

“don’t,” mina cuts her off, finally speaking, yet still looking towards the window.

“don’t what?” nayeon prods, stepping closer.

 

 

“don’t you have practice?”

nayeon’s eyes widen when she looks at her watch. she has 3 minutes to get back. she groans mentally, this means she’s going to have to run.

“crap,” she curses, “i’ll come back. we’ll settle this tomorrow.” she mutters as she prepares for the physical workout that she hates the most.

she takes one more look at the blonde before she scoffs and runs back to the field.

(she doesn’t hear it but there’s a huge exhale from inside the classroom. as if the person had held in her breath until the exact moment she left.)

--

mina leans back onto her bed. the image of nayeon in her practice clothes won’t leave her mind. she remembers just how much her cheeks burned from the sight alone. she couldn’t even dare to look at the brunette because she would probably scare her with how much she was blushing.

however, it seemed that nayeon had grown more irritated than weirded out and mina wishes she could’ve gathered the courage to tell her it was fine instead of sitting there silently. but how could she even speak when the brunette knocked her breath out of her chest? mina recalls just how hard she had tried to stay calm when nayeon stepped closer. they weren’t touching but she was close enough for mina to feel the warmth radiating from her body. and close enough for mina to get a whiff of her scent. she smelled of cherries and roses, it made mina feel light headed.

(so mina felt she had no choice but to hold her breath.)

 

turning to her stomach, mina stuffs her face into the pillow. why can’t she act normal around im nayeon? it’s as if her heart magically starts running at 1000 mph when she’s around.

mina turns to her bedside table. on top of it is the purple notebook that started it all. she had picked it up on her way out of the classroom when she saw it had been left on the teacher’s desk. a part of her has been wanting to open the notebook ever since she picked it up.

the moral part of mina shakes the thought away. it may just be better to return the purple notebook as soon as possible just so she could prevent herself from getting tempted. mina then shuts her eyes in distress cause another problem presents itself.

 

how the hell is she going to approach im nayeon? when she basically flat-out ignored the girl earlier today. she’s probably going to have to apologize for her behavior. with that, mina starts to think of sample dialogues and practices approaching the short-haired brunette.

she’d first walk up to nayeon’s desk in class.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter