i think of you more than i think should

best friend zone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

mina does not have a talent for art. maybe she has extensive knowledge of famous artists or types of art and art history, but did that mean she could make art? no. she can’t draw to save her life. maybe with an exception for basic shapes but even then, she struggles.

so naturally, she finds herself in utter awe at the canvas that’s been propped up on a wooden easel right by the window. specifically, son chaeyoung’s canvas.

it’s not finished but it already looks like a replica of the very view that mina has learned to appreciate in her days of detention.

in this world, some people are just gifted and son chaeyoung, is one of them. she makes it look easy.

another thing that mina finds easy, surprisingly enough, is being with the dimpled girl. perhaps it’s her calm and openminded personality. mina is never any good at meeting new people but somehow, she’s able to keep a conversation with the younger girl. she’s even able to hold eye contact when she speaks. nonetheless, maybe being with nayeon is really paying off.

the room is mostly silent. a comfortable type of silent. one where chaeyoung speaks maybe a sentence at a time and mina offers just a short response, not wanting to bother her artistic momentum.

it’s nice, mina thinks. having chaeyoung as company in the otherwise empty classroom, that is. hopefully, chaeyoung thinks the same. she even makes it a point to make her movements as small and soundless as possible so as to not distract the dimpled girl.

 

“does it look okay?” chaeyoung asks shyly, as if she isn’t aware of how amazing it looks.

mina tenses in her seat not expecting the sudden question. “it’s beautiful.”

she means it.

“i appreciate that.” chaeyoung smiles, dimple on full display. “i just hope it’s good enough for the showcase.”

chaeyoung had first explained to her that all this work she was putting in was for the art club. there would be a showcase coming up in the next week and she had been one of the members nominated to display her artwork.

“i think that if you were chosen, then it’s because they have full faith that you could create something amazing.” mina says. “i would have voted for you too.”

the blonde notices how chaeyoung freezes in her seat, and though mina can only see her side view, there’s also a light pink decorating her cheeks as she bites her bottom lip.

she takes a moment before finally speaking up.

“then…”

“…would you want to come to the showcase?” chaeyoung finally turns to her, eyes so bright and hopeful that mina feels her heart swell.

“it’s next week. on thursday! there’ll be food and a lot of wonderful pieces for you to see… but- but i understand if you may be busy, it’s just some showcase anyway it’s not anything special—”

when chaeyoung is looking at her like that, mina didn’t have the heart to say no.

“i’d like to go.”

just like that, the worried look on chaeyoung’s face turns into one of pure happiness and mina finds it so endearing that she too, smiles.

--

nayeon wipes off the beads of sweat on her face. for the past hour of practice, she has been exerting all her energy into every single move like she always does. this time, she may be going just a little overboard because they aren’t even halfway done and she’s panting heavily, her limbs growing heavy with fatigue.

she doesn’t have room to think about being tired though. not when it’s every few minutes that she’ll find her eyes travel to the school building, wondering what it is mina and chaeyoung may be doing or talking about.

it’s immediately followed up self-reminders that it’s not a big deal or that she shouldn’t even be thinking about it.

(so why is she…?)

but then it brings her to a dilemma. because what is she going to do now that she knows her best friend’s crush seems to have taken a liking on her soon-to-be best friend? it’ll break jeongyeon if she finds out.

nayeon takes a deep inhale and exhale.

‘focus.’

it’s the nth time she tells herself that.

 

--

 

nayeon looks tired. 

mina feels her brows begin to knit together at the sight. 

she doesn’t like the obvious exhaustion she sees on the cheer captain’s face. she doesn’t like how the girl seems to have a hard time catching her breath because of how hard she’s working. come to think of it, she hasn’t seen the brunette smile, laugh, or joke around like she usually does during practice. 

something is bothering nayeon and it’s beginning to bother mina too. 

 

“everything okay?”

chaeyoung’s careful voice catches mina from her thoughts. the blonde blinks her eyes back to reality. 

“you look worried.” chaeyoung says. 

“oh i-i’m... i’m okay.” mina stammers. “i got lost in my thoughts for a little.”

“alright then.” chaeyoung looks a little skeptical, but she turns back to her painting nonetheless. it’s then that mina decides to divert her attention to the art to avoid making herself obvious. 

“the colors look nice.”

mina wishes she didn’t sound so awkward saying it. she cringes at herself but luckily, the dimpled girl seems too caught up in painting to care. 

coincidentally, chaeyoung just happened to be adding details on the area of the field where the cheerleaders practice. though the faces aren’t clear, mina knows who it is standing right at the center with her crop tshirt and sweats. 

chaeyoung giggles bashfully. “this is just the base, but thank you.”

mina smiles back fondly. she watches chaeyoung continue her work, a thin brush in hand and soon, her eyes land on the nayeon in the painting. inevitably,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter