4th

Life starts when you're Single (Sequel to 20 1st Quizzes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4th

 

She opened the door and was greeted with a romantic scenery inside. Yes, it was dark but candles of different sizes, colors and scents illuminated the place. She could almost feel her heart burst at his efforts. 

 

She looked down the floor to follow another trail of small candles that lead to the shoe cabinet at the right side of the door. She laughed. 

 

There too, attached another pink envelope and she removed it. Reading the note, she can't help but laugh at their silliness. 

 

You're my number one enemy as well.

 

--

 

"Let's do this once again, okay? I promise I'll win this time!" She exclaimed, tapping his knee. 

 

He stared at her blankly. "What would you get me if I won? Again?"

 

Haneul frowned at him. "I'll win this time for sure!" She turned her body towards him. 

 

"1... 2... 3... Start!"

 

She chanted then stared at him straight in the eyes, doing her best to keep her eyes open by widening her eyes. 

 

Few seconds passed and Haneul was the first one to break the staring contest. Seriously, she can feel her eyes hurting. She glared at him, "Not fair. Let's do this again!"

 

Hakyeon rolled his eyes. "No."

 

"Come on, just this once!"

 

"No. You owe me enough already."

 

"Yah, Kyeonie!"

 

--

 

Haneul released a long sigh before opening the envelope, this time her tears finally raced down her cheeks one by one at the distant memory of their first ever severe fight. 

 

--

 

"Yah, Yong Haneul!!!" 

 

He kept on screaming but she never turned, not even once as she continued walking away from him, her face ugly with tears. 

 

She just saw him earlier with another girl on the mall, talking comically as if they were having the time of their life. What irk her the most was the fact that the girl was acting all familiar with her boyfriend, with the casual arm slapping. 

 

What she's feeling isn't just a simple type of jealousy. Few weeks ago, she was diagnosed with a UTI, forcing her to be absent from school and take a rest in their house. As such, the time spent on updating him and talking to him lessened as her father was set on treating her completely.

 

During the first days, she was always bombarded with his mails and text messages but as days passed by, the messages got lesser until they finally stopped coming. 

 

Now, with her fully healed and as healthy as she was before, it was now her turn to bombard him with messages and mails. 

 

But he never answered any of her messages. 

 

Not even a dot. 

 

Few more days passed and Haneul knew that she can't these things anymore. Asking money from her father, Yong Haneul rushed to go to Seoul for the first time ever. 

 

She was afraid that the city would eat her alive upon reaching her destination. Nevertheless, she was awed at the skyscrapers and lights at the place. 

 

Quickly sending an email at him, Haneul never felt more excited when he replied with a simple, "where are you? Stay there. I'll come for you"

 

She asked the people around where she was and she quickly send him her location.

 

After placing her phone back inside her bag she blinked when she saw the reason why she came to Seoul with another person.

 

And it was a girl.

 

She run towards the two as she pulled him by the shoulders. Shocked out of his wits, Hakyeon's mouth went agape when he came face to face with her. 

 

Is he doing something behind my back?

 

"Who is she, Hakyeon?" The girl with flattened hair asked her boyfriend. Haneul's eye darted at his arms.

 

There goes the caressing.

 

"Ah, she's Haneul. M-m-my girlfriend." 

 

His stutters didn't go by unnoticed by the younger. She turned to leave, leaving the guy and that resentful girl alone. 

 

Sensing that something was wrong, Hakyeon ran after her. "Haneul–"

 

She slapped his hand away harshly, turning around to glare at him. "Don't touch me," she hissed menacingly. 

 

Hakyeon frowned at her behaviour. "What's your problem?" He whispered. 

 

She scoffed, "oh so now it's my problem?! How about you? You didn't call me for weeks and this is what I'll witness?! Screw you!"

 

She ran away as fast as she can, ignoring his calls as tears threatened to fall. 

 

"Yah, Yong Haneul!!!" 

 

He kept on screaming but she never turned, not even once as she continued walking away from him, her face ugly with tears. 

 

--

 

She was crying at the side of the road late at night. She wanted to go back to Daegu but she can't find her way back to the train station. Hakyeon has been ringing him for several times already but she was too prideful and hurt to answer him.

 

Stuttering? How could he? Was he that ashamed of her?

 

Why did he asked her to be his girlfriend then? 

 

Also, who was that girl?

 

Another ringing caught her attention and it was from him again. She wasn't supposed to answer this call but then she was sure that her father would be worried by now.

 

So, she needs to have a deal with the devil. 

 

"He–"

 

"Where are you?!" He sounded mad. Very very mad.

 

"I..." She sniffed. "I don't know," then she started crying again.

 

She heard him huffing, "try asking people around."

 

"They are no people around..."

 

He sighed harshly from the other end. "Just stay there, okay? I'll look for you. Don't put this down, I need you to describe the place you're at, okay? Whatever happens just stay there."

 

"Okay..."

 

"Also," he started. "Don't cry, okay? I'll come for you..."

 

What he said caused her to cry even more but she bit her lower lip to muffle her cries. 

 

--

 

Haneul sighed loudly, wiping the tears the fell. It turned out that he wasn't ringing her because it wasn't known in their house that he had a girlfriend. At first, she felt sad that he was selfish to keep their relationship a secret. 

 

But then, meeting his mother during his graduation party, the girl understood. 

 

How vicious and scary Cha Haein is.

 

Turns out that the girl was his classmate, in which he was set to have a blind date on. 

 

So during the time that he didn't send her messages, he was probably going home to their house and not in the dorm. 

 

She was surprised when she was hugged from behind. 

 

"Should we stop from here?" He whispered as he leaned his chin on her shoulder. "Why?" She asked him, chuckling lightly.

 

"Well, you're already crying, and you've only opened two of the envelopes," he tilted his head to kiss her on her temple. 

 

"You seriously prepared a hundred?"

 

"Nope. I prepared thousands," she slapped his hands jokingly and Hakyeon only smiled cheekily, rubbing her cheek with hers. 

 

She sniffed, "can't we just go to the main event?" 

 

Hakyeon let go of her waist then entangled his fingers with hers as he led her by the center of the living room. Haneul followed him, she still didn't get the chance to see his face since she arrived and yet she waited patiently. 

 

She'll definitely be rewarded by her patience for sure anyway. 

 

Finally, when they reached the center of the living room where a huge heart was formed by the small candles did her boyfriend turned to face her, smiling lovingly at her. 

 

"Should I dance for you?" He asked her cheekily and she just laughed. "Don't. I'd rather see you standing still," she answered fondly, looking up at him. 

 

He chuckled lightly before he became nervous all of a sudden. Haneul became worried so she stepped up a little to touch his face, "are you okay?" She asked him and he immediately flashed a smile at her. "I'm fine," he looked at her clothes. "The turtle neck suits you," he jested earning a smack on his chest. 

 

"You see, Haneul-ah," he started nervously, holding both of her hands as he wet his lips, trying to calm his nerves. 

 

"I was never strong, I'm also not that tall." He sighed before he closed his eyes, "I was also awkward with a lot of stuffs. Heck, I can't even tell me how much I love you all the time. I wasn't confident with anything,"

 

Opening his eyes, he stared at her straight in the eyes. "But one thing's for sure. I'm confident that what I felt for you was love." Haneul's eyes widened when he knelt down on one bended knee, immediately slumping down the floor in panic. Shaking his hands she asked him, "what are you doing?!" Incredulously.

 

This whole thing was unexpected, but seeing his current stance right now, it was as if cold water was poured down on her. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter