Return to Me

Return to Me

She sat on the couch and turned the TV on before starting to unpack her food and get it laid out. She’d gone all out, which she normally didn’t do, not alone at least. The burger and fries, kimchi and order of wings with beer and a couple slices of toast, were a bit much, but it couldn’t be helped. There was no way she could eat it all, but the burger and fries were a definite as well as the toast.

Normally she’d get fried chicken and wings with beer, but she hadn’t had that since he’d left. It was odd, but it was always something they shared together, his love for it couldn’t be denied and she couldn’t imagine eating it with anyone else, as silly as that sounded. Only two weeks left until he came home and then she hoped to throw him a welcome back party, complete with all the chicken and beer he could stand. Sighing, she shook her head, knowing that everyone else would do the same thing and even though he claimed he never got sick of it, there was only so much someone could take.

Onew had been her best friend since moving to Korea six years ago. She relocated for her job and happened to meet him one day at a music store where he helped her get some things she needed while shopping for something for work. She’d asked his opinion on something as he stood next to her, not only had he given her his opinion, he’d charmed and entertained her with a story on his hysterical experience with a cello bow gone wrong. She’d left the store with what she’d gone there for and his number and an instant crush.

What she hadn’t known as a new resident of South Korea was that Onew was a member of the insanely popular K-Pop group known as SHINee. When she’d later been watching TV and saw him with his group performing, she practically fell off the couch. Never once had he mentioned it, but there he was, singing and dancing, (very well truth be told) on stage. After that, it’d been awkward for her, he tried to call her a few times, but she never answered, afraid of what to say with her new revelation. She hadn’t wanted him to think she didn’t like him or that she’d blown him off, so the next time he called, she answered.

If he noticed she was terrified to speak to him, he never let on and the conversation ended up flowing rather well. After that, they tried to talk once a week, and she’d even given him the passcode to her apartment. Suddenly though, his group picked up steam and then he was always extremely busy, and as he went on, it got worse and worse. Their conversations went from once a week to every other week to eventually once a month if they were lucky. All in all, they managed to keep in touch, be it with calls or with texts. She told him about her work issues and boyfriend issues, and he after eventually mentioning the group, told her about concerts and fights within the group to secret girlfriends and those select few fans who took things too far.

After about two years, she had fallen hopelessly in love with him, it seemed unavoidable, and she’d tried hard to. Onew was amazing though, perfect boyfriend material and though they both dated, no one compared to him, he was everything she wanted in a man, but she’d been too scared to risk losing his friendship, so she kept her feelings hidden and tried hard to feel what she felt for him, for another man.

It did not work.

When he came to her a year and a half ago telling her he’d gotten his summons for his mandatory military duty, her heart had dropped. His girlfriend had been none too pleased either, but like her, had known it was coming. Onew came back from the tour he’d been on overseas when he got the summons and started to prepare for his departure and she’d stayed back, not wanting to interfere with the time he was going to spend with his family and friends and his girlfriend. He’d tried to set a time up with her to hang out before he left, but she’d blocked it. Coming up with excuses for everything he tried to set up, she knew his girlfriend didn’t like how close the two were, even though their friendship was nothing more than friendship and Onew didn’t even think of her that way and it’d been established well before she’d come into the picture. That being said, she respected it for what it was and with her not wanting to cause controversy between them, had stepped back, as much as it pained her.

His family had thrown a going away party for him and had invited her. She’d been prepared to go, but his girlfriend had gotten wind and had told her she really had no right and it’d look weird and be uncomfortable if they were both there at the party. She went on that she as a female friend, really had no place there anyway and that as his girlfriend, she’d take care of him. Feeling out of place, she’d declined the offer from his family, telling them it’d be best if she stayed away, for Onew’s sake and out of respect for the family and his other friends. His parents, who’d always seemed to like her, had tried to convince her otherwise and when she told them his girlfriend had requested it and she didn’t want to make a scene, they’d reluctantly given up. She had bought him a gift and left it with his parents to give him and the night of the party, she stayed home. Onew had tried calling her that night, but she didn’t answer, so he sent her a text thanking her for the gift and telling her how upset he was she hadn’t been there.

If she figured right, with him being away and having not seen him prior, it’d been about two years since she last laid eyes on him in person, video chats notwithstanding.

They wrote letters back and forth, she had stacks and stacks of letters from him and she enjoyed every word. She sent care packages to him and some things to share with his fellow soldiers, always making sure he had everything he needed. He’d call her every so often and they’d talk or video chat for a few minutes before he had to go, and her heart would crumble a bit each time. He’d come home on his breaks and vacation, he always tried to reach out to her to meet up, but she always denied him, not trusting herself to see him after being away from him for so long. She did promise him that when he got out, she would meet up with him then, only after he’d seen his family, friends and girlfriend first, she’d be waiting for him.

She wanted to see him off and had gone, making sure not to be seen since his girlfriend had been there. She hid far in back, watching as he said his goodbyes to his family, friends and girlfriends, but could’ve sworn he’d saw her though; he’d looked up suddenly and their eyes connected, she was sure of it. Someone else said something and he’d looked away and she’d left, thinking at the time she imagined it, but the more she thought of it over the months, she knew he’d seen her. It was that memory of his eyes on her that sustained her over the last eighteen months, only barely though. How bad she wanted to see his smile and feel his arms around her as he gave her one of his famous hugs, she always loved his hugs. Onew was a cuddler and when she thought of the fact that his girlfriend was privy to that, it always left a bad taste in .

Onew called her a couple weeks ago and told her he’d be home in two weeks, and he wanted her there when he got out and that he wasn’t taking no for an answer. He told her he had something to tell her and he would only do it in person and if she didn’t show up, he’d take it personal and he’d be really hurt. She really didn’t want to get in the way of him seeing his family and girlfriend, it’d be a madhouse with all the fans. She knew some fans knew about her and while it’d been assured, they were just friends, she’d gotten her share of backlash, nowhere near as much as his actual girlfriend had gotten though.

She unwrapped her burger and took a bite before popping some fries into , settling down to watch a drama. After she finished eating what she could, she showered and then getting into bed, trying to decide what to do about Onew.

~~~

Onew typed the passcode in and turned the knob on the door, carefully making his way inside. He untied his shoes and took them off before stepping in, setting his duffle bag down. The apartment was quiet and dark, as he looked it over. Not too much had changed in the 2 years since he’d stepped foot inside. He’d been afraid she’d changed the passcode, luckily, she hadn’t, he was lucky he still had that connection to her or else this surprise wouldn’t have worked.

It’d been too long since he’d seen her, far too long, he missed her terribly. Reaching up, he pulled his hat off and set it down on the arm of the couch and started towards the hallway to her room. He’d decided a month ago when he found out the date of his military duty had been cut further and he was going to get home earlier than expected, that he would surprise her, so she had no reason to not come.

He’d been fully aware of the reason why she’d avoided him before he left and on the day he’d went in, though he’d seen her in the crowd, he tried desperately to go to her, but his parents had been so upset and his then girlfriend, had kept him from her. He was not stupid, he knew his ex had been the reason she didn’t come to his going away party, the reason why she’d kept her distance and it’d annoyed and hurt him, more than she realized he was sure. He’d wanted to do something at the time, but knowing he had to leave soon, he didn’t want to start what he couldn’t finish right then.

Onew made sure to keep in touch with her, writing her weekly, letting his relationship with his ex deteriorate, and while he probably should care, he didn’t. No woman who would treat his existing friendships with so little respect, was anyone he wanted to have anything to do with. He’d broken up with her his first month in and never mentioned it, it wasn’t the kind of thing he wanted to tell her in letter or on video chat, instead waiting for just this moment to tell her and finally claim her as his own.

And claim her he would.

He’d loved her from the moment he’d met her in that music store years ago and that love had grown into an adult mature love. It’d only taken several failed relationships for him to realize it, this last one being the clincher. If he thought that his ex would stifle the happiness that radiated from her, the affection she casted on him, he never would’ve dated her in the first place. Once his ex had been out of the picture physically, she’d been her old self. Writing him and being considerate to send him care packages and things for his fellow soldiers, her words lifting him up on those days when he missed home, his family and his band members so much, the thought of another day without them seemed too much. Knowing she was there waiting for him, made it bearable, gave him something to look forward to and she became his lifeline while he was away. Somehow, in the year and a half he’d been gone, he’d fallen deeper in love with her, he hadn’t thought it was possible.

She was his best friend, but he wanted more, he wanted so much more, and he hoped she did too. He was finally home; he’d done his duty to his country and now it was time to think about what he wanted, and he wanted her.

So here he was, discharged, still in his military uniform, hadn’t even gone to see his family or friends yet, no, she was first and she would be from now on. It’d been two years, he couldn’t wait any longer for her, to see her, wrap his arms around her and hold her the way he’d been dreaming of the last year and a half. Onew wiped at his eyes, suddenly becoming overwhelmed with emotion, it’d been far too long

Reaching out, he turned the knob on the door and carefully pushed it open, poking his head inside, his eyes scanning the room until he saw her, curled up in a ball, her knees tight to her chest as she clutched at the pillow and in that moment he found himself insanely jealous of the inanimate object. He’d lost count of the many times he’d fallen asleep here at her apartment or at the dorm with her and she’d be wrapped up in blankets, clutching a pillow and he desperately wanted to be the one she held on to.

Smiling, he carefully made his way in, shutting the door behind him as he quietly made his way to the bed, sliding on cautiously, scooting close to her and was immediately surrounded by that familiar scent of her and his eyes welled up against his will again, spilling over and down his cheeks slowly. It’d been so long, and he missed her so much, his heart ached being so close to her now.

He wiped at his eyes and laid his head down on the other pillow, his gaze on her only as he slowly drifted off to sleep.

~~~

She was awakened by the sound of birds chirping and she stretched a bit, rolling over and slipping off the bed and heading into the bathroom. After brushing her teeth, she came back out, slumping down on the bed, still half asleep, as her eyes kept drifting closed. She flopped down, grabbing the pillow and cuddling back up to it again, just ten more minutes and then she’d really get up. She felt another presence, a warmth in front of her, it felt as if someone were watching her.

Slowly she opened her eyes again to find a pair of warm brown eyes staring at her gently. She blinked, she knew those eyes, she’d know those eyes anywhere. Reaching up, she rubbed at her eyes and dropped her hand, those eyes continued to watch her, a twinkle of amusement in them now as well. She was dreaming, she had to be.

“O-Onew?”

Yah, it’s only been two years, have you forgotten me already?” He whispered, and suddenly he smiled.

Her heart dropped, “O-Onew?”

He scooted closer, prying the pillow from her arms as she continued to stare at him in disbelief, “I can do better than that pillow. Here, hold onto me ok?”

Onew moved in, managing to slide his arms around her stunned body and pull her flush against him.

“Hold me instead,” he said softly, but urgently in her ear, burying his face in her neck, nuzzling her gently as he tightened his hold on her suddenly. “Please…hold me,” he said, his voice breaking.

He felt solid, his body against her felt solid and real, amazingly real. Slowly she brought her arms up to wrap around him and he squeezed her a bit, tangling his legs with hers.

“Onew,” she said softly, tightening her hold on him suddenly, “Onew…” her voice broke.

She buried her face in his neck, and she felt the wetness on the fabric of her shirt and hot tears spilled down her face as she clung to him, murmuring his name over and over. She ran her hands over his body, through his severely short hair, wanting to make sure he was really there and not a cruel dream.

Onew pulled way suddenly, bringing his hands up to cup her cheeks, wiping at her tears with his thumbs, “I’m back.”

“Y-you could’ve told me, I thought I had another two weeks to wait,” she sniffled.

“I got an earlier discharge date, I couldn’t risk you not showing up again, I had to make sure I saw you, it’s been too long, two years too long to be exact.”

She shook her head, “I-I didn’t want to bother you, you have your family and friends, bandmates…your girlfri…”

She was cut off as his lips found her in a deeply passionate kiss. She stilled, her hands clutching at his shoulders as he continued to kiss her as if he were starved. He slid his hands back down, gripping at her hips, pressing them tight to his and he turned them so she laid on him and his hands came around holding her still. Slowly he pulled away, his gaze roaming over her face hungrily.

“I don’t understand, why…?”

He smiled, “I wanted to surprise you, see you first.”

She looked down to see him still in uniform and she looked back up at him, “You haven’t seen your family yet?”

“Ani.”

“Onew! Your parents will…”

“You first, you always first now,” he interrupted her.

She blinked, “Uhh, but what about your girl…

He cut her off again with another kiss and she pulled away this time.

“What’s going on? Why do you keep stopping me when I mention your…”?

Onew kissed her again, chuckling against her lips as she pulled away.

“Stop that and tell me what’s going on.”

“I don’t want to talk about people that don’t exist, that don’t matter, all that matters is us, together right now. I’m in love with you,” Onew said softly suddenly.

Her eyes widened, “Wha-what?”

“I love you, I want to be with you, for real. This whole friendship thing, it may have been good for a bit in the beginning, but it’s not enough for me anymore. I’ve done my military duty, I’m here, you’re here, there’s nothing holding us back anymore, let’s be together jagi, ok?” Onew smiled, running his hands up and down her back soothingly.

“To-together? Us together? How? Aren’t you…”?

Onew shook his head, “Not since a month after I enlisted, I’ve been waiting to tell you for when I saw you in person. Been waiting for this moment to have you, you aren’t gonna make me wait any longer for you, are you?” Onew whispered, leaning in to kiss her gently.

She pulled away and stared at him, “Onew…”

“Isn’t two years long enough for us to wait jagi?” He said sadly.

“Oh Onew…”

“I can’t…I can’t wait any longer for you,” he whispered, his eyes welling up again. “At the party, when I went in…not seeing you, I can’t do that anymore.”

Tears fell from her eyes, landing on his cheeks, mingling with his own.

“I-I’m sorry,” she whispered.

“Make it up to me,” he said softly.

She bit her lip, “How?”

Onew gave her a warm smile, “Be mine.”

She blinked, “That’s it?”

“That’s enough,” he said softly, bringing his hands up to wipe away her tears.

She swallowed hard, looking down at the man she loved, “Ok.”

“Ahh, that’s my girl,” he smiled, wiping at her eyes again.

“I love you too Onew,” she admitted finally.

His eyes widened as tears spilled from them again, “You do? Really?”

She leaned in, kissing him deeply, sliding off and pulling him onto his side with her before pulling away, “Really.”

Onew broke into the biggest smile she’d ever seen from him and he started laughing as he pulled her back into his arms, hugging her tightly.