넷.

I’m at your service m’lady

Serim was stressed. The day started by a old rusty nail sticking out of a wall tearing her only pair of pants, making a big hole appear on the side of her calf, the cold wind making its way right to her skin. As if it wasn’t enough, Kyungsoo fired half of the people on the farm, her being one of them. This season wasn’t very good, and he had to pay a lot of people only to get a smaller amount of money back. The walk back to her house was quite depressing. What would Shiyeon do when she would tell her that their biggest part of income was no longer available and she had to go back to stealing again once their savings disappear. 

“Agh!”

Serim let out a frustrated huff, kicking a rock on the ground, managing to hit a young boy playing on the side of the road. After a quick apology and calming him with her last lollipop that was saved for Eunbi, she continued the walk of shame back home. The leaves were getting more orange each day, signaling the autumn that was getting closer. This was the biggest concern she had. The weather was getting colder and colder. She was worried that they won’t have enough money and food to survive the winter. Serim was mostly scared about the kids, she could endure cold and hunger since she was used to it, but the kids were more fragile and got sick easily, especially Eunbi. She let out a groan. How the hell they were supposed to survive the winter if she lost her job? Serim almost didn’t want to return home. How could she come back with such news when she told Shiyeon everything was going to be ok just a week ago? 

———

“I’m back.”

The door closed behind her, she could see the empty space on the side of the door that let the cold inside. Seeing the poor state of their home made her want to cry. 

“Serim? Why are you home so early?”

She heard Shiyeon from the other room, she was probably taking care of Eunbi. The little girls condition was getting worse every day. It started happening four days ago just when it looked like she was no longer sick. Serim woke up in the middle of the night to Eunbi tugging on her hand crying in pain. The small girl was weaker and weaker. Serim was worried that she wasn’t going to make it through the winter. 

“Can you come here Shiyeon? I have to talk to you about something important.”

“Uh, yeah sure.”

The older stood up and followed Serim outside.

“What’s up?”

“I...I got fired...”

“What?!”

“Kyungsoo fired half of the staff today, since I was one of the many that worked on harvesting I was one of them. The season wasn’t good and he was loosing money really fast, I don’t really blame him, I would do the same if I was in his position...”

“But how are we going to make it through winter? Eunbi needs more medicine than ever end our savings are getting shorter each day.”

“I know Shiyeon unnie...I will think of something, just get me a day.”

“Alright...”

Both girls returned inside. Worry evident on their faces. It quickly disappeared and was replaced by a smile when they saw Hyun-jin peaking his head from the door.

“Serim unnie? Why are you home?”

“Mister Kyungsoo gave me a small break so I could see you two grasshoppers.”

Hyun-jin smiled widely and grabbed her hand.

“Eunbi! Serim unnie is home! We can play with her all day!”

Serim only chuckled seeing his happy face. 

“Eunbi needs to rest Hyun-jin, she is sick remember?” 

Hyun-jin smile deflated, but came back in matter of seconds when her realized that he had Serim all to himself. 

“I’m going out, be good and don’t tire out Serim too much!”

Shiyeon yelled from the door, before closing them and leaving the two to play with each other. Hyun-jin was already dragging Serim somewhere, she knew that this day was going to be even more tiring than if she had to go to work. 

———

Hyun-jin was sleeping in her lap, her own head clinging slightly, her eyes closing slowly. The house was quiet, Hyun-jin’s light snores filling her ears lulling her to sleep. Sound of fire flickering in the small fireplace being a background of her soft and quiet singing. Tones of her favorite lullaby leaving her lips almost unintentionally making her remember the times she listened to the same melody whenever she couldn’t sleep and her mother sat beside her and helped her fall asleep. The quiet atmosphere was suddenly cut off by the sound of the front door slamming shut. Serim almost jumped up, the loud noise making her completely awake. She looked at Hyun-jin who was still asleep. She picked him up and placed him on his duvet, covering him with his blanket before going to the other room to see why Shiyeon slammed the door. She found her on the floor breathing heavily, even in the dim light she could see her hands trembling, one of them holding a bottle of medicine that Serim knew well. 

“Where did you get it Shiyeon? I thought we didn’t have enough money for it?”

Serim said, pointing to her hand that was cluthing the small bottle as if letting it go meant death. 

“I...I messed up Serim, I messed up so bad.”

The older girl muttered under her breath, panic evident in her voice as it trembled. Her wide eyes reflecting the small flames of the fireplace. 

“What do you mean Shiyeon? What happened?”

“I don’t know why I did it, I don’t know why I did it at all, why it even crossed my mind once. I’m nowhere near as good as you, of course that It would happen, how could I think it would work out. I stole it Serim, I stole it.”

“What did you steal? What are you saying?”

“I stole the medicine Serim, I just...Eunbi is getting more sick and you just lost the job and winter is coming and...and...God, what was I thinking? They saw me Serim, they saw me. They’re going to come here and take me away.”

Serim was at loss of her words. Her heart was beating hundred miles in minute. If Shiyeon is going to be taken away the kids won’t make it. Eunbi and Hyun-jin loved their sister so much, they wouldn’t be able to live without her. Both Serim and Shiyeon knew this. Serim knew well how it felt to lose some dear to heart, the pain of realizing you will never see them again was something she never wished to anyone, even the most cruelest of them all. 

“I-It will be fine Shiyeon....I will...I will say it was me, all the shopkeepers know me, they know I steal they will believe it and leave you alone.”

“N-no Serim, they will kill you! I only stole once, but you-you are much worse!”

“It will be fine Shiyeon, just tell the kids that I went somewhere or something, I don’t know how or when but I will come back, trust me.”

“Serim...”

The girl could only smile before the sound of a knock interrupted them. 

“Open the door! This is the police!”

(Please note that this is happening in the 1800-1900 of Joseon dynasty so police already exists.)