Prologue

I’m at your service m’lady

It was a bad day, the sound if raindrops hitting the roof and windows could be heard as a slightly older woman was sitting in a chair, a big bump noticeable on her stomach. She was smiling slightly while caressing it with her delicate hands. If you looked at her face, you could easily assume she was from the upper class, big eyes with double eyelids, petite nose and small lips in a cherry blossom shade of color. But her overall appearance told otherwise. The worn out hanbok that was dirty and torn on few places showed that she had it for a long time, almost too small for her, barely reaching her ankles. The porcelain skin was tainted with mud and dirt, making her look like a beggar. The door opened for a bit and the sound of a storm was heard for a few seconds, before falling sikent as the door shut close. A tall man appeared in the small room, wet and muddy, the color of his clothes almost unrecognizable under the layers of old dirt. His face however wasn’t showing any signs of displeasure, his eyes forming moon-like crescents, his teeth blindingly while as he smiled from ear to ear.

“How are you jagi?”

“I’m feeling a little bit nervous, the baby is due in less than a month and I can feel it kicking more and more each day. I’m just worried abot our child.”

“Don’t worry too much, I’m sure everything will be alright. I can’t wait to see if it’s going to be a girl or a boy!”

“Me too, I hope it will be a girl, we can talk together and cook together, I will show her how to sew...ah I can feel it’s going to be a girl!”

“What are you talking about? Of course it’s going to be a boy, I felt how strong the baby kicked! I will teach him everything he’ll need to know and we will have taekwondo fighst together and he will protect all the girls in our village!”

The woman laughed at her husband’s antics. They were a happy couple, they didn’t need money to live a comfortable life. Yes, sometimes it got a little tough, but their baby always made them feel motivated to make everything for it.

-One and a half month later-

The baby was supposed to arrive last week, but so far, nothing happened. Just as the parents were getting worried, the wife felt something in her stomach, and a few moments later, her water broke. The husband quickly placed his wife on a bed before running outside to find a halmoni that could help him. As soon as he found her and told her everything, both got to their house as quick as possible, the rest of the small village gathering around the house. It was always a big deal when someone was being born.

After a while, a child’s cries could be heard throughout the house. A little bundle was handed to the mother, the child no longer crying, resting against its mothers body.

“Is it a girl or a boy?”

The mother asked, holding her child close to her, looking at the big doe eyes that stared back at her.

“It’s a healthy little girl.”

The halmoni announced, both parents crying happily, although the father tried to look tough, explaining his tears as just something in his eye.

“How are we going to name her?”

“Serim, our little Jo Serim.”