Chapter -VI

My Only Hope

Park Chanyeol’s pov

“Yah Chanyeol- ah, are you even listening to me” Jong in whisper – shouted from beside me

“Oh, Sorry were you saying something to me?” I finally respond to him

“See you are not even listening to me, Am asking what are you staring at that kid for so long or are you spacing out ?”

I guess I’m becoming bit obvious, it’s been I while I had been staring at Baekhyun, he hasn’t changed his posture or maybe even his expression in the duration of 15 minutes since the time he entered in the school bus, I wanted to greet him but I noticed how tired he looked.

“Second option” I replied still staring at Baekhyun

Jong in sighed and slopped back into the seat, folding these arms and spreading his legs leaning against the non- existent neck rest of the bus seat, he has the record of sleeping anywhere and at any time. Once he slept for the entire 24 hours …Aigoo

While exiting the bus I hurried behind Baekhyun since he looked so weak, guess my instinct was right Baekhyun was going to slip and fall from the bus stair when I quickly held him from behind, which was kind of awkward, to be honest.

“Oh, thank you Sunbae”

I lost my ability to speak when I saw his face, he looks extremely worn out his eye bags pale face and dry lips

“Sunbae?” Baekhyun repeated, I immediately regretted staring at him for too long I think I made him conscious that’s why Baekhyun started looking here and there

“Oh Sorry I was spacing out, Are you feeling alright?”I asked patting his shoulder gently

“Yes, I ‘m just sleepy” he forced a smile

I ruffle his head slightly; he needs a haircut “Take care!”

He blushed a little, and bowed at me I look at him go and wait for Jong in he seems to have gotten up from his nap now, I call him to hurry up

Suddenly an idea strikes me, I apologies to Jong-in and tell him to go to class by himself while I quietly follow Baekhyun to his classroom

I happen to see him trying to find his desk, it looked like someone is his class as well had been pulling pranks on him.

Are you kidding me right now? Like how many more troubles does he face out of no reason I quickly go to another class and place a new desk outside his class and return to my classroom as soon as the bell rings?

I should take bathroom breaks on this floor

Baekhyun Pov

 I feel dizzy since I woke up I try not to move much since I didn’t have a meal since last evening, thanks to the restaurant owner that I’m able to feed myself rather than my so-called caretakers who don’t even bother to cook they order for themselves while I starve, I guess they are just waiting for me to die...

When I step inside the school bus I feel so exposed and conscious of my looks that I purposely ignore Chanyeol Sunbae who kind of waved to greet me, I feel guilty but I need some time to normalize and sort out my thoughts

I while walking down the school bus stair I almost felt my body give up and I was about to fall when suddenly someone pulled me up which brought me to my senses, I turn and see its Sunbae who helped, but why is he nervous around me?

I felt conscious when he stared at my face for a while, do I look that pathetic?

 But he never looks at me in a weird way like some students and my homeroom teacher,

Sunbae has an affectionate gaze like he knows me or something I feel better whenever I encounter him.

I walk up to my class and gather the usual unwanted attention, which I ignore and walk up to my desk…..Which is not there, it seems like heavens don’t want to me live peacefully like ever !!

Frustrated, yet I still look around to find the dirty desk on which they had written all sorts of names which they tease me with their compass and whiteners I go out of the class to request for an extra desk and chair when I see a brand-new desk.

I sighed, a relieved sigh, this desk just saved from getting into another drama.

Third Person Pov

Throughout the entire day Baekhyun kept feeling dizzy it was until the afternoon that he could not manage any longer and fainted in the bathroom, some students reported to the homeroom teacher and Baekhyun is rushed to the health room.

The worried teachers rushed to see Baekhyun’s condition and tried to click pictures of his wounds, and report the following incident to the higher authorities.

Unaware of the situation, Chanyeol takes around at the floor where Baekhyun’s Class was, he happens to see an unusual chaos ensued he takes a quick look through the windows and see that the child was missing.

Park Chanyeol’s pov :

 It was about noon, I was just staring outside and waiting for the school to be finished today had been a super boring day, our class hardly got any break in between the period. I was thinking of an excuse to get out and take a small walk upstairs and take a chance to check on the kid, today morning I was relieved after he received the desk I had put outside for him.

I get out of the class using bathroom break as an excuse to get some fresh air

I find the usual chaos outside  Baekhyun’s classroom, all the students were making a noise somewhere whispering about something among themselves.

Baekhyun is missing though? This kid why can’t life be peaceful for him!

Look at the odds I see his homeroom teacher walking back to the class and the other teacher holding the same worried expression “Miss  Kim did you see those marks? , Baekhyun doesn’t even cry, The Nurse says he is malnourished, I think we should report to our director and go for a check”

“Your right, I think we should before things get worse “

Panicking I assume Baekhyun is sick or something I rush to the health room.

I stop before entering thinking of an excuse

“Good afternoon, I’m having a stomach ache can I lie down there “

“Sure, hope you have informed your teacher”

“A...ah I have”

I quickly lie down on the bed and draw the curtains around me after pretending to close my eyes for a while, I turn and see other bed on my right I cannot see clearly due to the light white curtains hiding the persons face, the black mop of hair on the pillow cover tells me its Baekhyun itself, I slowly draw the curtains to see him

His pale face, dry lips and tired fragile body come into the view, I slowly sit up without making noise and walk to the side of the bed and hold his hands, they felt rough and cold, his untidy-uncut nails, a glimpse of the child not taken care of...

“Sun...bae?”

Baekhyun calls out weakly trying to sit up.

I hold his shoulder helping him sit straight placing the pillow for his backrest.

“What are you doing here?” he asks

“Uh... I have a stomach ache... what happened to you? I try asking

“I fainted in the toilet”

I softly place my palm on his forehead brushing away his front hair “You have a fever”

“Yes, I know “he responds softly

“Your teachers  ... they are aware?”

“They are, but they are weird”

“Why...”

“They started asking if I like my mom and stuff”

“And what did you say”

“That I like her, of course” he replied trying to cover up the expression he was about to make.

“Anything else”

Baekhyun started looking elsewhere I bent down to meet his eyes “well they were clicking pictures of my wounds” he answered

“Where... are you hurt?”

“Sunbae, do you also enjoy looking at other people’s scars” He replied with an unreadable expression.

I felt embarrassed for prying, and looked down at my hands “Sorry”

I look at him suddenly I get an idea “do you have a small piece of paper?” I ask

Baekhyun nods and hands me over a small chit sized paper from his bag; I take out my pen and write my phone number.

“Here, take this”

Baekhyun looks at me slightly dazed, I know I’m tiring him but I have to do this, I take his coarse hands and place the chit in his hands and fold his fingers. Baekhyun stares at our hands and then looks at me,

“Keep it carefully, anytime you need anything or even if you want to speak to me, give me a ring... hmm”

I show his an ok sign, he nods “Ok, now rest” I tell him sweeping away some overgrown fringes from his forehead.

When I exit, I make an absentminded pray that Baekhyun doesn’t throw away that chit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------