The Consequences

Far From You (Hiatus)

Whatever happens,
Stay at every moment.
Time will fool you.
Today is all that you have.

/5/ The Consequences

[Y E R I N ]

APRIL 1996

"So it's really 1996? I'm really here in 1996!" I silently screamed as I held Lulu's watch and slammed my head down on the table.

I'm still here, in the wrong place and time. I can't believe it. But no matter where I look, It's pretty clear I'm in the 90s. The people, the place, the ambience, they're all screaming that I'm in the past. And the newspaper! The dates can't lie. The songs and the whole aura all cry out that I am not in my present time.

"Here. Eat first. Jung Yerin, right?" She handed me a spoon and fork. We are here in the cafeteria near the hospital. She said she can't afford food in the restaurant because she is just a high school student. She also told me that I'm not her girlfriend, so why would she spend money. Yeah. She's a blunt giraffe.

"You can call me Yerin." I said, wiping my tears. The girl looked at me knowingly, but I don't care if I look like a cry baby. It's okay if she thinks I'm crazy. I'm shocked, okay?! I have no idea what really happened. I tried to calm myself.

I'm still looking at the newspaper that was on the table while the girl was busy eating. I turned and looked around, searching for hidden cameras or anything. Isn't this Lulu's prank? Maybe he punished me for always making fun of his inventions! But isn't it too much? Ahh! I'm going crazy. It would have been easy if that was really my problem. But it's not!

"Are you really from the future, Yerin?" I raised my eyebrows at her question. Does she think I would humiliate my race in front of her and other people just to joke that I came from the year 2014?!

"Yes! Would I cry like this if I'm joking? Tsk. What's your name?" I replied as I tried to calm myself down because of the situation. I knew no one would help me except myself. Unless this girl will help me.

"Sojung. I'm Kim Sojung. Where do you live? For sure your parents are worried, so after we eat I will walk you home, okay? Wait. Do you have a house?"

I started to cry again. Yes, we do have a house but it's in 2014 and I don't know how many tumblings I would do just to go back. And yes, someone worries about me, but I also do not know how I will contact them. How will I live in this time? What have I done?

"Yes... but it's in 2014! I'm from the future, remember?!"

People glanced on our table. Sojung and these people around us probably think I'm crazy. It was as if they were watching what I'm going to say next. I lowered my head and moved closer to Sojung. I should keep reminding myself to speak softly. If I kept yelling, they might call the mental hospital to pick me up. Huff. Breath, Yerin.

"Are you really not making fun of me? That's a bad joke you know. It's a little scary."

"I went back to this year because of this watch. I want to see my parents. I thought my classmate was joking that I could travel the time... but no. I am here. I successfully travelled back to the year 1996 and I don't know what to do. " I stared at Lulu's watch as I tried to remember where it all started.

I wept more. Why did I force myself to go back in the past? Why did I fall to Lulu's invention? Why did I dare to believe all of these? All for a once in a lifetime wish that I don't even know how to fulfil.

"Did your head fall too hard?" She laughed while pointing at me like I'm a crazy person. My tears stopped as soon as I heard her annoying laugh. I throw the tissue in her direction. She's lucky I've touched that first because if not I should've thrown the fork. Hmph.

"It's true! You said it yourself that I fell out of nowhere! That's it. You saw it right? I fell from the future!" She stopped laughing and her face suddenly became serious.

"Yeah... right." Sojung tilts her head while staring at me like I'm a puzzle.

I sighed. I also thought that maybe Lulu's watch became my instant saviour. I was about to be hit by a car, but the watch takes me here in the past before it happened.

"You still don't believe it? What if I show you proof?" I still think she's making fun of me and didn't seem to be interested in what I'm saying. I opened my bag and searched for things that were not available at this time. Pieces of Stuff that she will see for the first time and definitely convince her that I'm not making up things.

“Look here, this is my school ID! You see? School year 2013-2014. And this? This is an mp3 player! ” I put out my stuff on the table.

"Mp3? What is that?"

"You can relax and listen to the music you want there. Anywhere. As long as you bring it."

I opened my mp3 and then gave the earphones to her. While she's figuring that out, I reached for the camera to show her the photos. She grabbed the camera from me then pressed the shutter button, causing her to panic. She was surprised by the flash. I smiled and showed her the registering face on the camera. She was shocked and tried to get my camera again.

"This? This is the technology of the year 2014?!" I scolded her for being too loud this time. We lowered our voices as I tried to convince her that a digital camera only exists on my time.

"Awesome! Looks like those I doodled on my journal. This thing came from the future? Wow, do you have flying cars too?" She was like a kid asking me questions about things in the world.

"No, but cars on our time are better." Sojung is still amazed by everything I said to her about what the future looks like. As if she was imagining those on her head while I was talking. She nods her head like a kid and beams a beautiful smile. She said she draws a lot, that's why she's imaginative and likes interesting stuff. I can't help but to smile too, she's really beautiful despite her moody personality.

"You can take pictures here and then you can print it, you can also share it to others." I showed her how my digital camera works. She holds it with twinkling eyes. Sojung also showed me her drawing journal, most likely her drawings about the future. She's a talented artist. Her drawings are weird, but maybe that's because she's really beautiful– beautiful?! I mean creative. Huff.

"Ah yes... so what? Do you believe me?"

"All right." She sipped water from her glass and nodded her head after. I sighed. At least Sojung believes me even just a little. I'm still scared and sad. I wonder what would happen to me here.

"Uhm... Sojung. I have something to ask you." I'm here now, so why can't I just go and find my parents? I should fulfil my wish while I'm stuck here.

"What is it?" She doesn't look at me. She's busy listening to songs on my Mp3. I fidgeted a little.

"Promise me first that you will agree.” I don't know anyone here. She is the only one who can help me.

She took off the earphones and looked back at me. I'm a bit unsure if she'll agree. She doesn't fully believe me. She also helped me a lot since I got here. Isn't too much to ask for more from her?

"Yeah, whatever."

I heaved a deep sigh. I hope she agrees. I hope I can see my parents. I hope this time I will have a chance to be truly happy.