Where It all started

Far From You (Hiatus)

"There's no way we could meet again. But one thing is certain, if we see each other, we'll know."

/ 3 / Where it all started
[ Y E R I N ]

April 2014

"The Year 1996, April 18. It's been seventeen years since the accident that left nearly 30 students dead when their bus crashed while they were on a school field trip. The parents of the students are still grieving... "

Sister Mary was listening to the news the morning after she had served me breakfast. It has been her habit since I was left in her care. Sister Mary serves in a convent. My parents passed away when I was almost a year old so she became my guardian.

"It was only a few years ago... I still feel sad for those kids. They have lost so much in the world." She said while eating breakfast.

Years had passed since that incident, many things happened and changed but nothing seems to be moving on from the tragic event.

"Sister Mary, I'm going now," I said before going to school. She nodded and told me to be careful.

While I was on the road, the news did not leave my mind. What if that accident didn't happen? What if the accident victims were still alive? Life is too short. Probably like me, they have a lot of things they want to do and plan in life. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Years from now, certain things may or may not happen. Huff. The future is really promised to no one. Where have they been? Is there an afterlife? Are the good guys in heaven and the wicked in hell? Can the dead really have a place to live? Or maybe we just created heaven and hell because we are afraid that when we die we will be forgotten and just disappear like bubbles? I was flooded by these thoughts. It was early morning but I'm overthinking already.

"Good morning!" I was full of energy. I smiled at Lulu who's looking at me with burning eyes. I just laughed at him. Of course, he's angry. I'm late again and he's my lab partner. I avoided his stares and greeted my friends.

"Yerin! Hurry up! Get your lab gown. I don't want a grade deduction."

This geek is coming through again. I don't know if I was lucky to be his partner. It would have been nice if it was Hayoung, but on second thought, both of us will just goof around if we're partners. We went to the laboratory. Everyone went busy, this is our last requirement so we can't mess up. Even though Lulu was angry, he still did everything. He didn't seem to trust me on my skills. Alright, I know I'm bad at Science. And as I expected, Lulu finished the project in just an hour.

"Wow, Lulu! We're done!" I shouted as we watched our experiment. Our Prof approved Lulu's work after checking the lab reports.

"Yes, because of me." He said as he looked at the output. I should thank him for saving me in my science class but this nerd! Hmph. I still helped!

"Why?! I still did the documentation! " I also had a hard time clicking and finding a good angle especially with his face stuck in the shot.

"Yeah, whatever."

I rolled my eyes. I heard him chuckle and proceed to what he's doing. He's just teasing so I packed my belongings scattered around our table.

"Oh, what's that? I thought we're done? " I asked as I put the camera in my bag. It seemed like he's into some experiment again.

"My first invention. If you wear this watch and you put on the date and time you want, you can go there. Even in the past or the future." I was surprised when he put the watch on my face. A watch that looks weird. The other parts came out, it looks like an old watch but it didn't.

"What are those little hands for?"

"That's the difference between the time when you return to the past or want to go to the future."

"Like a time machine?" Isn't what it is called to a thing that brings you to the past and future?

"Hmm... maybe that would do."

Lulu is smart but sometimes I can't help but think that he's already on a different level. I looked at the watch. A time machine? I always thought that the time machine looks a bit different, like a big capsule that you can come in and when you operate it there will be sparks and fireworks then poof! You're on a different timeline! I smiled in my own thoughts, maybe I'm watching cartoons too much. But if that's the case, would I have known that it was possible with a small watch? Or if it was possible to create a time machine and return to the past and future?

Lulu seriously fixed the watch. With every move he made, I feel frustrated. I mean Lulu sometimes joins on our jokes but he never joked about science. And this is science!

I just look at him while adjusting the watch. Seems like I like to try it. There's a part of me telling me that Lulu's experiment is true. He is not good at convincing but I still want to try, because if that is really true, then my wish is also possible. 

"Hey Lulu, can I borrow it?" Well, I'll just try and I'll give it back after. If it's not true then I'll just throw it in his face.

"What are you saying? This is my first invention. No way." He pulled the watch on his side as if to direct on my face that I couldn't handle it at all. I looked at the side where he had put the watch.

"Lulu, please! I just want to see someone." I begged him. Just this time. I have someone to see. Even just a glance at those people, I'm fine. 

"I also want to see someone." I held my breath and thought of ways he would reconsider my plea.

"Lulu! Come to think of it, that's your invention, means you can do it again. Lemme try it first then you could do some experiments again, right?" Lulu thinks for a second, raising his eyebrow then heave a deep sigh. He agreed and gave it to me, promising I will give it back.

I hold the watch on my hands. I don't know how I should feel but I'm hopeful even though I don't know where to start. Is the ability to go back in time that's beyond my reach possible? I do not know, but I have hope. They say hopes and big expectations are meant to hurt you. But if those pains waiting for the future are the only way to a once in a lifetime chance, why would I miss it?