Bullseye

Mitzu Thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

MiTzu archery rivals.

 

“So you ready for this?” 

 

Tzuyu glanced over at Chaeyoung who was watching her tie the shoelaces of her boots. The smaller girl had come to support her on what was probably the biggest competition she’d ever attended.

 

“Ready as I’ll ever be.”

 

Tzuyu then finished up tying her shoelaces and moved on to do a last minute check on her bow. She didn’t want to admit it but ever since she had woken up that morning, she had been feeling extra jittery. This competition could be the one that puts her name up there with the greats of the sport. It was now or never for her.

 

After a few moments, she heard Chaeyoung speak from where she was sitting. “You know she’s going to be there later on right? And it’ll probably be down to you and her in the end...”

 

Hearing this, Tzuyu momentarily paused her movements. Chaeyoung was right. She had heard from her coach that the girl would also be attending the competition.

 

Something that didn’t bring her much surprise, really. Her arch rival was considered as one of the best, surely she had been invited to this competition as well. They had been competing in the same tournaments since they were children. Every time, the girl had won first place with Tzuyu coming in close on second. 

 

If she was being honest with herself, the reason why she worked so hard and put up with all those late nights and early mornings was because she wanted to take that elusive gold medal. She wanted to prove that she was just as good, if not better, than  the other girl.

 

However, all of her hard work was yet to pay off. Something that Tzuyu hoped to change today. 

 

“I know.” she said, figuring that a simple answer would suffice.

 

Noticing the other girl’s apprehensiveness, Chaeyoung let out a sigh before standing up and heading toward the door. 

 

Just as she was about to exit, she turned to look at Tzuyu, who was now standing still, seemingly in deep thought. “You can do it, Tzuyu-ah. Fighting!”

 

Not waiting for a reply, she proceeded to head out the door, leaving the younger girl to her thoughts.

 

It was all Chaeyoung’s fault really. She had been successful at not letting thoughts of the girl into her head the whole day. Well, until now that is.

 

Tzuyu would never admit it out loud, but as time went along she realized that somewhere along the way, she had started to harbor an admiration for the older girl. Constantly competing in the toughest tournaments, it had never failed to amaze her how the older girl never seemed to miss. And, yea, Tzuyu was a top notch archer in her own right, but even she missed some shots whenever it was a bad day. But watching the older girl, she had long realized that she must simply not know how to.

 

And... okay, it didn’t hurt that she looked like an angel descended from archery heaven every time Tzuyu saw her.

 

Kinda hard to hate your rival when they look like THAT.

 

Realizing what she had been thinking, Tzuyu couldn’t help but let out a small laugh at her thoughts. Here she was, a few minutes away from the biggest competition of her life, and all she could think about was how breathtaking her arch rival looked? 

 

She must be crazy.

 

Shaking her head, she attempted to clear any other thoughts of the girl. She came here to compete. And compete is exactly what she will do. Hopefully without getting distracted along the way. 

 

Hearing her coach calling her name, Tzuyu grabbed her bow and headed for the door. It was time to show the world what she’s made of.

 

Heading out into the huge open space in the coliseum, Tzuyu heard her rival’s name being called by the announcer just as she stepped unto the platform.

 

“Myoui Mina!”

 

Hearing the loud cheers, Tzuyu felt the jitteriness she had felt earlier come back. Trying to calm herself down, she focused on breathing in deeply and exhaling slowly.

 

“And... our last competitor for today, Chou Tzuyu!”

 

This is it.

 

in her breath, Tzuyu finally stepped in front of the target board and bowed to the crowd politely. Seeing Chaeyoung excitedly waving a banner up in the stands, she gave the girl a little wave before turning to face the board.

 

“Fancy seeing you here.”

 

Turning to her right, she realized that beside her was none other than Mina. Damn the coordinators. They probably did this on purpose.

 

Raising her eyebrow slightly at the older girl, Tzuyu chose not to reply and instead focused on the target board thirty feet in front of her. Focus Tzuyu. Focus.

 

“No words of luck for me? Pity...” the other girl continued to talk despite the lack of reply.

 

“Since some of us were raised right, I’ll be the first to wish you luck then.” 

 

Out of the corner of her eye, Tzuyu saw the girl extend her arm out for a handshake. 

 

After a long moment of contemplation, Tzuyu finally glanced at the girl and took her hand and before shaking it firmly. “May the best woman win.”

 

Letting out a beautiful smile, Mina winked at her playfully before turning to face her own target board, leaving behind a confused and slightly flustered Tzuyu.

 

Wha- what’s that wink supposed to mean? Why-

 

Shaking her head for the nth time that day, she realized that she couldn’t let her thoughts stray too far moments before the competition starts. No, don't let yourself get distracted by her. She knows what she's doing. Stop playing right into her hands!

 

Focus. Focus. Focus.

 

“Let the tournament begin!” 

 

A few hours later and countless of arrows shot, Tzuyu turned to look at the scoreboard and was satisfied to see that she was part of the finalists. She had yet to miss a shot the whole time, something that she had to admit she was a little proud of.

 

Looking below her name, she saw Mina’s. Also with no misses yet.

 

I guess Chaeyoung was right...

 

“Guess it’s down to you and me again huh?” she heard Mina chuckle beside her.

 

“You and me...” Tzuyu replied absentmindedly.

 

“Looks like we’re down to the arch rivals! Who do you think will win today’s trophy?” the announcer’s voiced blared from the speakers.

 

“Well, let’s not put it off any longer, let’s see as Tzuyu takes her first shot!”

 

Drawing her bow, Tzuyu’s eyes zeroed in on the little red dot on the board. Inhaling, she let the arrow fly. 

 

It then landed with a soft thunk on the board. Bullseye.

 

Tzuyu exhaled and turned to Mina. 

 

The older girl elegantly drew her bow withna perfect form before letting the arrow fly straight into the little red dot. Bullseye.

 

The two continued on like that, neither missing any shot.

 

“Looks like we’re down to their last shot! Do you think we’ll need a tiebreaker? Or will one of these talented archers finally miss a shot?”

 

Drawing her bow for the nth time that day, Tzuyu’s eyes zeroed in yet again on the little red dot barely visible with the eye. This is it. Make it or break it Tzuyu. 

 

Exhaling a little, she let th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter