Attempt #??

There Was An Attempt
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To say that Wendy’s just worried about Seulgi would be a complete understatement.

 

The vocalist watches as Seulgi buries herself further into her sheets for the nth time this week. Seulgi’s room is small, and so is her bed, so Wendy doesn’t have much of a choice but to make room as the dancer squirms, alternating between positions on the mattress. 

 

Usually when Seulgi gets into moods like this, Wendy leaves her be as she usually bounces back in a few days or so. The vocalist understands that everyone needs time alone every now and then. And if that doesn’t work, Seulgi’s quick to pour out her frustrations to either her or Irene.


But she hasn’t been okay for a while now, nor has she told anyone anything yet.

 

“Hey,” Wendy starts, patting what she thinks to be is Seulgi’s back from under the thick blankets, “Did you and Joohyun unnie fight?”

 

Seulgi shakes her head.

 

“Did something happen during practice?” Wendy tries again. Maybe the performance practices were taking a toll on her. Seulgi can be a perfectionist at times, after all.

 

Her bear-like companion shakes her head again. This time she groans too, sounding much like the animal she’s often compared to.

 

“Irene unnie likes someone,” Seulgi mumbles, “She didn’t tell me who it is… I thought we were best friends, but she’s been hiding it from me.”

 

The dancer sounds so sullen and heartbroken about it that Wendy almost forgets how Joy recounted Irene’s attempts at confessing to Seulgi. The vocalist pinches the bridge of her nose, Seulgi couldn’t see her anyway.

 

She couldn’t be this dense, right?

 

“Seulgi-ah,” Wendy starts, unsure how to continue, “Why don’t you talk to her about it?”

 

“I can see it in her eyes, Seungwan-ah,” Seulg kicks the blanket off of herself, nearly hitting Wendy square in the face.

 

“She looks scared, like she doesn’t want to talk about it… So I change the topic every time because I don’t want to press her. But I can’t help but feel hurt that she doesn’t trust me enough to tell me,” Seulgi says and shifts again.

 

Wendy wants to smack her face into the wall. Why’d Seulgi have to be so dense yet so considerate at the same time?

 

“Have you ever thought that she might like you?” Wendy decides to test the waters as she nudges Seulgi’s form with her foot.

 

She hears Seulgi sigh deeply, “It’s not me, unnie.”

 

“Why not?” Wendy tilts her head.

 

“Because I’m not good enough for someone like her for her to even look at me in that way,” Seulgi laughs self-deprecatingly, “Joohyun unnie deserves the best...”

 

Wendy frowns, but before she can even say anything, Seulgi starts talking again.

 

“I… don’t really want to talk about this anymore, Wan-ah,” Seulgi says softly, “I’ll be okay, I just need some time alone, you know?”

 

Wendy feels her heart break a little at how choked up Seulgi’s voice sounds.

 

Now she understands why Yeri wants to throw both of them into a room until they settle their problems.

 

 

“So Seulgi doesn’t think Joohyun unnie’s confessing to her because it just can’t be her, and Joohyun unnie thinks that Seulgi knows, but is silently rejecting her,” Yeri says, looking between Joy and Wendy.

 

“See, I am right! And because you two didn’t listen and help me earlier, everything’s a mess now, ” Yeri throws her hands up into the air and decides to stare up at the ceiling.

 

“Tell me about it,” Joy sighs, and reaches into Yeri’s bag of chips. The maknae’s too into her own theatrics that she doesn’t notice Joy stealing her food.

 

“So what do we do now?” Wendy asks, taking some stolen chips from Joy to plop them into her own mouth.

 

“So you’re both suddenly on my team now?” Yeri says and suddenly whips her head to face them. Wendy inhales the rest of the chips in Joy’s hands in an attempt to hide the stolen goods. The vocalist coughs, but makes sure no crumb escapes as her nostrils flare.

 

“Yes because this is depressing to watch when they’re so close, yet so far,” Joy replies and sighs, ignoring Wendy pulling on her sleeve.

 

“Okay, great,” Yeri shrugs, “You both owe me now because I’m right and because you both stole my chips.”

 

“HAAAH--” Wendy suddenly slouches forward and heaves loudly, coughing, “I-- I thought you didn’t see that,” Wendy says with a hoarse voice, patting her chest and heaving from eating too many chips at once.

 

“You can’t chew chips quietly, unnie,” Yeri sticks her tongue out and checks her phone as soon as she hears it ring, “I’m not old and deaf like you guys. Anyway, let’s go meet up with the rest of the team while you buy me whatever I want on the way.”

 

“Hey!” Wendy complains.

 

“They're’ just chips!” Joy yells at the same time. But before Joy and Wendy are able to get another word in, Yeri interrupts them.

 

“Do you want VIP tickets and backstage passes to Ari’s next concert or what?” Yeri raises a brow, not even bothering to look at them as she responds to her messages.

 

Wendy and Joy look at each other for a moment. When they turn to face Yeri, the maknae’s already holding up her phone, showing a selfie of Ariana Grande with a recent timestamp and a ton of emojis following the singer’s sappy message to Yeri.

 

“Did you want milk tea to go with that too?” Wendy asks.

 

“That’s more like it.”

 

 

Unsurprisingly Yeri, Joy, and Wendy find themselves inside Twice’s dorm. Both Chaeyoung and Dahyun welcome the trio as they settle in the living room to discuss new tactics. The rest of Twice pay them no attention as they go on with their usual lives, already used to their regular visitors.

 

“What if we get Seulgi to do the tiktok challenge,” Joy suggests, as everyone agreed not to drag Irene into this anymore. Yeri stares at her blankly.

 

“You know there’s more than one challenge on tiktok, right?” Yeri answers back and Joy rolls her eyes.

 

“I know, I was getting to that!” Joy pouts, “You know, the tiktok where you kiss your best friend--”

 

“Nope!” Dahyun’s the first to shoot down the idea, interrupting Joy, “Absolutely not!”

 

Everyone raises a brow at Dahyun’s sudden rejection.

 

“I was gonna say no too, but why are you yelling?” Yeri questions the rapper. Chaeyoung looks just as confused.

 

“I--” Dahyun stutters, “It could hurt them, you know?”

 

“You sound like you speak from personal experience,” Joy tries to comment casually, but it seems to hit the mark.

 

“I…” Dahyun looks away, “I may have tried it, but I never got to the part where I had to kiss Sana unnie…”

 

Yeri rubs her temples and sighs.

 

“You didn’t do the challenge at all then,” Joy groans, exasperated.

 

“It’s the thought that counts!” Chaeyoung defends her best friend, “But yeah, you should really stop panicking at the last minute, bro.”

 

“It’s not my fault Sana unnie’s just so--” Dahyun starts to panic, and Yeri rolls her eyes.

 

“Dahyun unnie,” Yeri suddenly speaks seriously in a low tone, slouching forward with her hands under her chin, “Y’know… there’s only one way to solve your problem. Do you want to hear it?” Dahyun nods eagerly despite being interrupted, and moves closer to hear what she has to say.

 

“Sometimes,” Yeri starts speaking in English, “You gotta be bold,” Dahyun nods, taking her words in slowly.

 

Wendy covers her face with her hands, and starts rubbing it out of frustration. Meanwhile Joy groans, muttering a, ‘not this again’ as they watch Yeri. Chaeyoung looks at the Red Velvet members, absolutely confused as she watches Wendy rub all the makeup off of her own face.

 

“Just rock the world…” Dahyun nods solemnly again, moving even closer.

 

“BOOYAH!” Yeri suddenly jumps up from her seat and yells, startling Dahyun. 


“YAAAH!” Dahyun shouts, her voice bouncing off the walls of the dorm as she falls from the edge of the couch. Joy and Chaeyoung can’t hold their laughter while Wendy’s quick to check if the rapper is alright.

 

“DAHYUN-AH!” A concerned voice booms from the other side of the dorm along with thunderous footsteps, and with that alone, Yeri knows her job here is done.

 

Sana almost trips on the way to the living room, but when she finally arrives she manages to unceremoniously shove Wendy out of the way to get closer to Dahyun. Yeri stands up and moves away from the couch along with Joy. Wendy frowns as she gets up, rubbing her after suddenly being pushed to the ground. Watching the action, Chaeyoung briefly worries about the fact that Wendy may have just stained her own pants with makeup.

 

“Dahyunnie! Are you okay? You aren’t hurt, are you?” The Japanese woman asks worriedly, checking for any injuries as she helps Dahyun get up.

 

“I’m fine, Sana unnie, I just--” Dahyun’s reassurances to Sana are quickly stopped with Chaeyoung’s sudden loud coughing from behind Sana.

 

When the rapper looks Chaeyoung’s way she can see the words, “You gotta be bold!” Along with Yeri.

 

“A-actually, I think I hurt my ankle,” Dahyun says, wincing at her own words and not at the nonexistent ache on her ankle, and Sana’s eyes are wide, concerned for the younger woman.

 

“That must hurt, Dahyunnie. Let me take care of you,” The Japanese woman pouts as she redirects Dahyun to sit back down on the couch.

 

“Um, uh, m--maybe you could take me to my room instead?” Dahyun asks suddenly, and Yeri tries to hold back a snort, “It really hurts…”

 

“Okay. Just hold on to me,” Is all what Sana says before sweeping Dahyun off of her feet literally to carry her bridal style back to her room.

 

Chaeyoung’s only able to do a slow thumbs up of encouragement as Dahyun’s taken away from the living room by one miraculously careful Sana. Everyone’s jaws drop simultaneously.

 

“What the just happened,” Joy mutters as soon as she manages to recover from the shock.

 

“I can’t believe that worked,” Wendy adds.

 

“I didn’t think my bro could be that bold,” Chaeyoung nods, proud of her best friend as she holds back her own tears of happiness. She reaches out to Yeri for a fistbump and mutters a tiny ‘booyah’ when their fists meet.

 

“My work here is done,” Yeri says and nods to herself, as if that was exactly what she was expecting to happen from her (bull) words of encouragement.

 

“Anyway, we’ll come back to see what happens tomorrow, or something,” Yeri decides as she makes her way towards the door, still slightly out of it from how easy that was, “I’m tired, and I want more milk tea.”

 

 

It’s in the middle of a good evening of talking to her girlfriend of three hours when Yeri’s rudely interrupted by a certain unnie. She sends Ari a quick selfie of her pouting before she switches to view her latest message.

 

Irene unnie: Yerim-ah, how do you post on this app?

Irene’s Not-Daughter: idk what app ur talking about, i cant see ur phone lmao

Irene unnie: the new one with the fans???

Irene’s Not-Daughter: … unnie all sns have our fans on it

Irene unnie: the one thats harder to post on than ig

Irene’s Not-Daughter: …

 

Irene’s Not-Daughter has set Irene unnie’s nickname to Grandma Irene.

 

Irene unnie: KIM YERIM!

Irene’s Not-Daughter: I’ll just call you, u should be thankful

 

Yeri sighs, slowly explaining to Irene how posting works. Once she feels like her unnie understands it, she ends the call. The maknae wonders why Irene always decides to ask her whenever her questions have something to do with technology. Wendy and Joy are perfectly capable of using technology. Why not them?

 

The maknae scratches her head. It’s two in the morning, and for some reason, Irene wants to post something on her instagram account. Despite saying that she wasn’t posting on instagram earlier, her unnie apparently didn’t know that instagram is just the same as ig.

 

Yeri wonders how they’re even living in the same century.

 

Shaking her head, the maknae decides to check her post. What could be so important that Irene just had to call just to post it at this hour?

 

When Yeri finally goes over to Irene’s instagram account to see her latest post, she nearly drops her phone on her face. Luckily, her quick reflexes manage to roll over and dodge the deadly weight as it tumbles down on her comforter.

 

Yeri blinks twice, picks up her phone and sticks her face closer to the scre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter