4 - The Kids Like You

Detective Unit: Bulletproof
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Nara and Yoojung goes home, Nara couldn't just shut up about the bartender and how idiotic Yoojung is to not do anything with him. 

"Did you see how cute the guy is? Those eyes and that smile. Damn, I'd trade him off with my boyfriend if I have one," her best friend exclaims. 

Yoojung sometimes wonders if her best friend really does have a brain of a fish. Did she really not remember her telling that the bartender is her police chief? But rather than argue more about it, Yoojung just let her be. She have a bigger issue to worry about the next day. 

She doesn't know if she is ready nor if she would  muster the courage to apologize, but she thinks it's worth a try. 

When she steps foot in the station, the three young officers are there as well as Yoongi who is surprisingly not napping but talking about something with Taehyung. 

Seokjin's not in sight and she guesses he's either out or in his office per usual. 

Here we go. 

"Good morning," she stiffly greets, waving her hand to the turning heads. 

Taehyung blankly stares. Yoongi walks away. Jimin and Jungkook blatantly scowls. 

She sighs. "Look, about yesterday- I didn't mean it." 

Jimin ducks his head on the computer, the click of the mouse louder than normal. 

Taehyung is the only one showing reaction. The air is thick and Yoojung is suffocating. 

"I'm really really sorry."

No one replies. 

Yoojung looks down. She might not be able to fix her relationship with her team, but at least she did apologize. 

"I baked some cookies as an apology. I just want you guys to know-"

Her words are cut off as hands grabbed the food from her hands and the trio are all in front of her now, looking down amazed on the cookies. 

"Well, why didn't you say so!" Taehyung chirps. "Apology accepted. Right guys?"

"Of course! We're not even mad in the first place," Jimin laughs, eyes wrinkling.  

Oh really now, she thinks, eyebrow raising. 

They tear the container open, hands fighting over the soft baked good, practically devouring it in their mouths. They moan as they chew. 

"This is the best. Let me love you, Jung-ie!"  Taehyung's running with arms spread wide for a hug, pulling her into a tight one.

Yoojung being Yoojung slaps the back of his head. Taehyung awes while he lets go. Jimin and Jungkook laughs. 

She can't believe how easy it is to make peace with the three. She's sure they're all mad at her, but it makes her feel lighter that they have forgiven her. 

Jimin approaches her with cookie between his lips. "Still partner, alright?" he says, offering his hand. 

Yoojung smiles and shakes it. "Thanks."

Someone claps, earning all their attention. The Captain stands behind Taehyung with a smile. "Now that's all settled, here's the case." He hands a white folder, with the title "Kim Jaehyo theft and homicide case". 

Yoojung takes the folder and stares at it in disbelief. He really kept his words. 

"Hyung," Jimin exclaims. "Are you sure? This is a murder case. I thought we don't take these kind of cases?"

"You guys are now. Now, head out to meet Hoseok. Come back when you find a lead." He glances at the female officer and turns around with a wave of his hand. 

Jimin looks at the other two, still in disbelief that the Chief gave them a murder assignment. 

Yoojung watches Seokjin's figure disappear back to the office, the door shutting with a bang. 

"Well, what are you waiting for, partner?" she says with a bright grin. "Let's go."

Jung Hoseok is a young man that works in the Forensic department, Jimin tells her. He's a reliable friend that works for the team most of the time. Jimin says he's a friend of the Captain and Namjoon from Academy years.

"Let me warn you though. He's a bit of a playboy. He hits on every pretty girl he sees."

Yoojung feels a little flattered that Jimin thinks she's pretty, but she's sure to keep that in mind. 

And indeed Hoseok is. 

He's a charming guy with a big smile and soft features. Good-looking but has the vibe Yoojung hates in a guy. 

"Well, hello," the Forensic examiner greets with voice dangerously low. He's holding out his hand, staring straight into the female's eyes. "You must be the Cho Yoojung I've been hearing about."

"What?"

"The crazy officer who shot a kidnapper who was holding a hostage."

She scoffs. "I was doing what was best at the moment."

Hoseok's smile doesn't fade. "I'm sure you were. I would do the same if I was you. That's why it's an honor to finally meet you." 

Yoojung blinks at him and raises her brow. She's certain the guy is hitting on her. 

"Hyung, stop trying to hit on her. We're here for the job," Jimin intervenes at the side. 

Hoseok doesn't even spare him a glance. "Not now, Park Jimin. So, how about some coffee sometime."

Yoojung rolls her eyes. "Officer Jung, we're here for the autopsy result."

"So that's a yes."

"What?"

"I'm not hearing a no~" Hoseok sing-songs. 

"Hyung!" 

Hoseok laughs. "Alright. Alright. Follow me."

Thankfully, Hoseok stops his flirting and finally leads them to a dimmed room. A body lies on a metal surface, white cloth on top of it. Yoojung can feel Jimin's hand clutching her uniform. Rather than tell him off, she lets him hang on to her. Just this once. 

Hoseok opens the cloth, revealing the head of the body. 

"The body's identified as Lee Taeil," the examiner starts, handing Yoojung a clipboard with a profile on it. "Twenty seven. Unemployed. Only finished high school."

"And the cause of death?"

"External bleeding," he replies, opening the white fabric more down to its stomach. 

Behind her, Jimin gasps, holding tighter on her clothes. 

"One stab at his right side, hitting his rib and liver. Weapon used is a kitchen knife. The officers found it in the bathroom's trash can."

"Were fingerprints present?"

"Yeah. 100% matched to Kim Jaehyo. Though the autopsy result showed Lee Taeil didn't die in spot. He was bleeding for three hours until he had his last breath."

"You're saying he would have been alive if he was responded right away?"

"The wound wasn't deep, but he bled for hours in the cold." 

"Right. Any other injury?" 

"No, just the stab."

"So Kim Jaehyo stabbed Lee Taeil. Hid him in the bathroom and left him to die?" Yoojung assumes. 

Hoseok crosses his arms. "What you think the motive is, Officer?"

"This may be an accident. Maybe something went down between the two. Jaehyo reached for a knife, stabbed Taeil, and panicked so he fled."

"Highly likely."

"Alright. Thanks for the help, Officer Jung," Yoojung says, unclipping the papers and putting it in her folder. "Come on, scaredy cat. Geez, how can you be scared of the dead. You're a police officer." 

"They look gross and scary," Jimin whines as they walk to the door. 

"Hey, wait! What about coffee?" Hoseok yells out.

Yoojung turns to him. "Um, no. Nice working with you, sir."

Jimin chuckles under his hand as they exit. 

The two returns to the office. The policewoman spreads out the report, the crime scene photos, witness statements, profiles. 

"A neighbor in the same floor said he heard fighting from the apartment. Said it didn't take long, maybe around two or three minutes. Then he said it died down," Jimin informed. 

"I was right. Did he overhear what they were fighting about?"

"No. He said it was too muffled."

Yoojung inspect the photos of the crime scene. There were marks of blood in the living room, small and unnoticeable. She suspects the fight happened in the living room, then Jaehyo dragged the unconscious Lee Taeil to the bathroom. Then he packed his things to escape. 

"Jaehyo could had run back to his hometown or somewhere close to Seoul. The money he has won't be enough to get him that far. Are officers sent to search?"

"Here," Jimin points at one printed photo. "This is the last footage seen with Kim Jaehyo. He rode the train heading to Busan, but the PD in Busan has no lead of where he's hiding there. They're doing their best to find him."

"Are they really? This Kim Jaehyo had been on the loose for three days. We can't let him stay out there. He's a dangerous man."

"I get you," Jimin replies. "But like you said, with the money he has, he couldn't have went far. We'll get him soon for sure." He pats her shoulder. 

Yoojung keeps his frown, inspecting the reports for anything that can lead them to the suspect. 

Jimin senses the dissatisfaction from his partner. He sits on the vacant chair. 

"This is the first time I'm working on a murder case," he says. The woman looks at him. "Strictly Hyung's orders. This is why I'm surprised that he gave us this case."

"Do you know wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter