Chapter Three

The Secret Letter

After our first encounter at the coffee shop, the guy has frequently come to our coffee shop; either spending his time relaxing or doing his work. He will always greets me in way that gives people the impression that we’ve known each other for a long time. “He’s here again today” Lia whispered to me as she noticed the figure slowly approaching our coffee shop.

           “I can see that. Maybe it’s something about our coffee that makes him a loyal customer” I stated. “Or maybe you” Lia muttered under her breath.

            “What did you said?”

            “Oh, here he comes!” She quickly walked to the barista counter, leaving me alone at the cashier. The guy slowly walked towards my direction, giving me his square shape smile. “Hello again” I looked at him as he rested his hands on the counter as he looked up to read the menu board.

            “Can I have iced mocha for today?” He asked, turning his gaze on me from the board. “Sure. No problem!” I key in his order into the system and told him the price. Giving back the balance to him, I gave the order to Lia who’s in charge of making the drinks today.

            “Can I know,” He suddenly spoke. “What time did you get off work?”

            I stare at him. “It’s around 4” I answered. He looked down on his hands, staying that way for a few seconds before looking back up at me. “I see” he said none other than that before excusing himself to an empty seat.

            I titled my head to the side, curious at the motive of his question. I don’t want to fill my head with thoughts regarding his question; I quickly shifted my attention to my works. The clock on the wall pointed at 4 o’clock. I wiped my hands on my apron, making my way to Lia’s counter as there are no new customers that come to the store.

            “Our shift is over” I leaned against the counter. Lia looked up at the clock hanging on the wall. “Now we have to wait for the boys to come and take over our works” She took out her phone from her pocket, messaging Jinyoung. “They’re almost here” Lia said after getting a reply from him.

            “Sorry, we’re late” Jinyoung spoke as he approached us, Eunwoo followed from behind. “It’s no big deal. Where’s Joy?” Lia looked at the direction behind Eunwoo, looking for the sight of Joy.

            “She’ll be here in a few minutes” Eunwoo said, his eyes fixed on the screen of his phone. Jinyoung and Eunwoo went to the locker room to change as Lia and I waited for them to be done. While talking with Lia, my eyes wandered around the store and fixed on the guy that I’ve met at the wedding ceremony. It has been a few weeks since he first came here, but I still haven’t known his name.

            As I realised the fact that I didn’t know his name, the word professionalism popped out in my head. Debating whether I’m practising professionalism or I’m just unbothered. Jinyoung snapped me out of my thoughts as they came out from the locker room, letting us know that we can get off work.

            “We’re going now” Lia waved goodbye to the three evening shift staffs, making her way towards the café’s door. I followed Lia from behind. Lia and I parted ways once we walked out of the coffee shop since we both lived in different direction. Right after Lia turned her heels around and went home, my phone’s rings. A message from Nayeon appeared on my home screen.

            “Can I ask a favour from you? I’m in need of a new small flower vase for our home but I forgot about it while I was on my way back home. I dropped by the flower shop near our house but they ran out of a small size vase. Can you help me look for one somewhere? I’ll pay you back later” Her text explained.

            “Flower vase? Where can I find flower shop around this area?” I mumbled to myself, looking around my surrounding in hopes of finding a flower shop. The café’s door swung open and a figure stopped next to me as I was looking around me. “Is everything alright?” The person asked.

            I looked to my right and found the same guy from the wedding ceremony standing next to me. “Uh,” I hesitated for a moment. I was debating in my head whether I should ask for his help since I can’t recall any flower shop around this area. “I’m looking for a flower shop” I finally confessed.

            “Flower shop?”

            “Yeah, my friend asked me a favour to look for a flower vase. But I can’t recall if I see any flower shop around here” I tighten my grip around my phone. “I think I know some flower shop here” He said as he unlocked his phone and started typing something. “Really?” I waited for his response, his eyes fixed on the screen.

            “I found one” He responded after staring at his phone for a few minutes. “It’s called the ‘flower garden’ flower shop. It takes 20 minutes down the street from here” He claimed. I crossed my arms, my eyebrows furrowed as I was trying to recall a flower shop with the name of it.

            “Maybe I can accompany you until we found the store?” He suggested. I turned my gaze at him, my eyes wide open. “Really? Isn’t it troubling you?” I asked, unsure whether I should let him tag along with me. “Yeah, I don’t mind,” He replied. “Plus, I have nothing to do anyway other than going home. So I can help if you’re okay with it”

            We stared into each other’s eyes for a while and I finally decided to agree with his offer after what it feels like a decade of staring contest. A smile plastered across his face as he heard my answer. “I think it’s this direction” He pointed to our right and we started going down the street towards the flower shop he found online.

            Awkwardness surrounded our atmosphere as we walked down the street, I was unsure of what to talk about with him since this is the first time I talked to him outside of my work hours.  While I was debating on what topic I should say, he already made his moves, asking me about the vase.

            “My friend need a smaller size vase but the flower shop she dropped by ran out of it” I explained. “So she asked for my help”

            “I see. Well, I hope we found the vase that your friend need” He said.

            I nodded my head. “Do you think they have it?”

            “I hope so they do” He smiled. Something about seeing his smile made me feel safe. “I just realised something” I suddenly spurted out, gaining his attention. “It’s been a few weeks since you first came to our coffee shop, but I still have no idea about your name” I hesitated. 

            “Ah, now that we think about it, I never mentioned my name right?” He chuckled. “My name’s Kim Taehyung. You could call me Taehyung or anything you find comfortable” He introduced himself. I nodded my head. “And if I’m not mistaken, you’re Ava right?”

            “Yes, I’m Ava Jung” I answered. “But, how do you know my name?”

            He put his hands into his jacket’s pockets. “You wear nametag while you’re working” He tilted his head as he spoke. “Ah, nametag!” I laughed. I almost stopped in my track in embarrassment. I totally forget that we wear nametag at work. What do I expect? After trying to keep my composure together, he spoke up. “That’s one of the reasons” He stated.

            “What do you mean?” I looked over at him. “I remember seeing your name on the envelope you dropped at the wedding when we bumped into each other” He claimed. My eyes automatically grew wide. “Ah, the envelope” I slightly nodded my head. As I was thinking about the whole situation, Taehyung pointed at a direction. “Flower garden!” He exclaimed.

            I looked towards the direction that he pointed at, a sigh of relief escaped my mouth. One worry has gone. We walked towards the flower shop with hopes, hesitated in front of the store before walking inside. I found a young owner behind the counter and slowly approached him.

            “Excuse me,” I softly called out. “Ah, how can I help you?” He asked, looking friendly. “Do you have a small size flower vase?”

            “Ah yes I think we do. Give me a moment” He went to the back of the store afterwards. I tapped my heels on the floor as I wait. Taehyung was looking around the store, amazed with the flowers. ‘He looked like a child’, I thought to myself.

            The owner came back after a while with a vase in his hand. “Is this alright?” He gently put the vase on the counter. I picked up the vase full with caution, checking the condition of the vase. “I think this is good enough” I said in satisfaction. He wrapped the vase with unused newspaper before putting it inside a box that fit the size of the vase.

            We walked out of the store after we were done with the payment. Another sigh of relief escaped my mouth. “Are you relief?” Taehyung asked.

            “I am. Thank you for helping” I bowed to show my gratitude. “No problem”

            “Where do you live? Let me walk you home. It’s getting late” He looked at his brown coloured watch that firmly wrapped around his left wrist. “No, it’s okay! I don’t want to trouble you” I politely refused. “It’s okay, I don’t really mind. Plus, it won’t make me feel at ease letting a woman walks home alone” He convinced me.

            “Okay if you don’t mind me taking your time” I looked at him.

            “I don’t mind” He said, gesturing at me to lead the way. We walked towards the direction of my apartment as we talked. The atmosphere is not as awkward as before. I feel a bit more comfortable talking with him since he’s a very good-mannered guy. He even cracked some jokes while we are at it.

            We reached my apartment after walking for minutes. I stopped in front of the building, telling him that we’ve arrived at my house. “I’ll get going now” he said, smiling at me. “Sure, thank you for walking me home and be safe” I replied.

            He nodded his head.

            When I was about to turn around, he called out my name. I looked back at him over my shoulder before turning around to face him. “Yeah?”

            “If you don’t mind, can I have your number?” He politely asked. “You’re someone that I feel comfortable talking with, it would be great if we could be friends” He stood there as he waited for my reply. I unconsciously smile at him, walking towards him as I took out my phone. “Let’s exchange number, then” I looked at him.

            We exchanged numbers. His face beamed with happiness as we exchanged numbers. Seeing him smile from ear to ear made me smile along, as if his smile is infectious. “Cute…” I mumbled to myself. Taehyung looked up at me from his phone screen. “What did you say?”

            I flinched when he replied, trying my best to keep my composure. “Hm? I didn’t say anything” I lied. “I thought I heard you mumbled something” He looked back down on his phone to finish saving my contact. I decided to remain silent on his remark. He looked back up at me before smiling. “I’ll talk to you soon” He said as he stares into my eyes. “You should get back inside. I’ll wait until you enter the building” He puts his hands into his pockets, waiting for me to walk away.

            I nodded my head and waved at him before walking towards my apartment. I stopped half way and look back over my shoulder. I could see Taehyung is still standing there, waving at me when he saw me looking at him. I waved back and entered the building.

            As I reached the floor I lived at, I looked down from the hallway. I could see his fit figure walking away from the building, and slowly fading away from my sight.

 

 

            “Are you finally home?” Nayeon’s voice could be heard from her room. “Yeah, with the vase you asked me” I gently put the box on the kitchen counter after taking off my shoes and left it at the shoe rack. Footsteps could be heard approaching me. Nayeon came and decided to take a look at the vase I got her.

            “This is hella cute!” She said once she had carefully examined the vase. “I’m glad it’s to your liking”

            My phone rings and a message notification pops out on my screen. Both Nayeon and my attention gathered at my phone that I’ve set down on the counter. The name ‘Taehyung’ appeared on my screen. “Taehyung…?” She reads the name and slowly look up at my face. A smirk slowly plastered across her face.

            “I didn’t know my face found a… guy” She teased, her lips are shaped in a thin line as she tried to not smile widely. “Well, I just met him today” I stated, excluding the time when we met at the wedding ceremony. “So, when did you meet him?”

            “He helped me looking for the vase you wanted” I answered. She puts down her vase gently into the box before turning her gaze at me. She intensely stares at me, not spurting any words before squealing slightly. “Is he hot?” She asked, her eyes glittered up. “I think I can say he’s good-looking”

            She smile teasingly, nudging me on the arm with her elbow. “Good luck with the guy” She smiled, picking up her box afterwards. “Hey, we just met!”

            “That’s why I’m wishing you good luck” She snickered. “Thank you for the vase! I’ll give you the money after this” She said as she walks back to her room. “And don’t forget to reply his message! Since you’re kind of forgetful sometimes” She stopped in front of her door’s room. “But I don’t think you’ll forget to reply his messages” She teased before walking into her room.

            My mouth is wide open as I heard her talked. Hearing it with my ears made me wonder where she gets all that ability to just tease people. I grabbed my phone that I left on the counter, unlocked it and opened his chat.

            “Are you home?” He asked me.

            “I am. Have you safely reached home too?” I replied back. Not even after a minute has passed, his message popped on the screen. “I have reached home. Thank you for asking” His reply reads.

            “You’re welcome. And thank you for today!” I sent him the message before walking towards the living room. I throw myself on the comfy sofa, burying my face on the cushion. And in just a few minutes, I dozed off to sleep.

 

 

            Nayeon woke me up as she patted on my back, bringing me back from dreamland. I narrowed my eyes as I looked at her face. “It’s dinner. You should wake up” She said, leaving me on the sofa and makes her way to the kitchen. “I cooked dinner” She sets up the kitchen counter with the utensils and the meals.

            “You cooked?” I ruffled my hair as I walked towards the counter. “Hey, I can cook, okay?” She puts down a bowl of rice in front of me and one for hers. She settled down on the seat next to me. “Come on, you should eat and get some rest after this” She picked up her spoon and dig into her food.

            “I didn’t realised I fell asleep”

            “You’re probably tired. I didn’t want to wake you up until dinner was ready” I took a bite of the food that she cooked. It’s actually taste good. Putting another spoonful of rice into my mouth, she started to talk about things that happened at her flower shop today. I diligently listened to her as I eat my food.

            I wanted to help her with the dishes when we were done but she refused my offer. She puts on the apron over her shoulder and tying the back, asking me to wash up and get some rest, convincing me that she can do it. I nodded my head in defeat, I grabbed my phone on the table and my handbag, and went to my room to wash up.

            Nayeon came over my room when we were both done with our works, showing off thee flowers that she arranged, using the vase that I got her. “We need to put this on the television cabinet, so our house looks a little lively” She stared at the vase full of satisfaction.

            “That’s pretty. I’m glad my housemate is a florist”

            “And mine is a barista. You make good coffee” She ran out of my room into the living room and placed it on the cabinet as I heard she screamed pretty. “I need to take a picture of this!” I heard she shouted and a few shutters came after.

            She came back from the living room into my room and throws herself on my bed. She scrolled through the pictures and picked the best among it to post it on her Istagram.

            “So, any story regarding that guy?” She questioned, her fingers typing onto her screen. I almost choked my saliva when I heard her question. “Um, no” I blinked. Just right after my answer, a message popped out. I turned my gaze back on my phone and see his name on the screen. I could feel Nayeon smiled beside me. “Go on, don’t hesitate to check. I’m just doing my stuff here” She scoffed.

            “Stop” I lightly hit her on her arm before opening his chat. “Are you going to sleep?” I touched my phone screen and began to type. “About to. You?”

            “Me too. I feel a bit tired but I’m glad to be able to talk to you today” I read his message in my head. Somehow my heart beats unusually as I read his text, making my hands sweating out of nowhere. I replied back, “Likewise. Nice meeting you, too!”

            He sent me a cute smiling sticker, making me chuckled under my breath. I could feel Nayeon’s gaze at me, a smile formed on her face. I looked at her and she tried to cover her smile as she quickly made a nonchalant look. “I see you” I said, smiling.

            “I bet you’re really tired from today. You should get some rest. Good night Ava. See you tomorrow” he replied with a smile emoji at the end of his message.

            “Good night too, Taehyung. See you tomorrow” I texted back and locked my screen. Nayeon stood up from my bed after she was done watching UTube on her phone. “I’m going back to my room now” She stretched her hands. “Good night Ava” She yawned, waving me goodbye before leaving the room. “Goodnight! Sleep well!” I shouted to her from my room. She waved her hand, lazily and entered her room.

            I closed the door and get into my bed, tucking myself under the warm blanket. I stared at the wall until something popped out in my head. I reached for my phone on the bedside cabinet and opened Taehyung’s chat. I reread out his text.

            “See you tomorrow?” I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. And I realised I’ve unconsciously replied the same thing back to him. “What does he mean by that?” I muttered softly. “Is he going to meet me tomorrow?” I talked to myself.

            After a few minutes of thinking and debating my thoughts, I put down my phone and shut my eyes closed.

 

 

            My eyes are wide open when I see a familiar figure standing in front of me outside the coffee shop. “Hey Ava!” Taehyung smile widely at me who’s frozen on my ground. I quickly walked towards him, “Are you waiting for me?” I questioned.

            “I was off work just now and decided why not dropping by” He explained. Somehow I can feel butterfly in my stomach as I see his face up close. ‘Such a visual’ I thought to myself. “And I did say that I’m going to see you today, right?” He smiled.

            I blinked my eyes several times, not knowing what to say. “Let’s go home” A smile formed on his lips. I nodded without arguing. And ever since that day, he will always waits for me to finish my work and walks home together. Sometimes he would dropped by the café like usual and spend his time there. And as days go by, I started to develop a little feeling towards him. But little do I know, all these happy feelings might bring me to something that I wouldn’t expect.