Chapter Two

The Secret Letter

We were walking in the shopping mall down the street from Nayeon’s flower shop. And like what I’ve expected, Eunwoo is attracting a large amount of attention from the ladies every time they passed us. While I am totally aware of our surrounding, Eunwoo gives no attention to the admiring stares that he gets from the females. ‘Is he an airhead, or is it because he’s so used to this that he doesn’t even bother to pay attention to it now?’ I thought to myself.

            Eunwoo turned his head to look at me, probably he noticed that I’ve been staring at him for some quite good few minutes. “Is there something wrong?” He questioned in curiosity. “No, it’s nothing,” I shut my mouth. “But did you notice how many of the girls have been staring at you as we walked?” I softly asked under my breath, as if I don’t want the girls to find out that I asked that question.

            Eunwoo stopped in his track and looked around. He found some of the girls staring at him as they quickly turned their heads around when Eunwoo looked at them. “Ah,” He let it out of his mouth. “I guess my fashion is good. Probably that’s why they are staring” He stated. My mouth was almost wide open as I heard his reply. “I think it’s because you’re so good-looking though” I said.

            “Nah,” He argued. “I don’t think I’m that good-looking, to be honest,” He stated. “But it’s a good thing then if they think that way. I should be grateful” He added.

            Somehow, standing next to him makes me feel so small that I unconsciously started checking myself in the mirror. Eunwoo seems to notice from my facial expression, he suddenly said, “You’re pretty. Don’t worry about people giving you looks”

            I was taken aback by his words. “Thank you” I muttered softly after staying quiet for a few seconds. “Come, is there any clothes that catch your attention?” He asked. I looked around the store that we entered. From what I heard, this clothing store has gained a lot of attention from the people in town. As the thoughts lingered around in my head, my eyes looked around the store.

            They painted the wall in bright colours, so that the store would look spacious despite having so much clothes hanging around on the hanging rack. They even installed a lot of lights inside the store, making the place looks bright. Adding the quantity and quality of clothes and variety of fashion types to choose from, it’s no doubt why the clothing store managed to get a lot of attention from the public. Eunwoo snapped me out of my thoughts as he called out my name. “I’m sorry, I was thinking” I straight out apologized, making him laughed.

            “You don’t have to say sorry for it” He chuckled. “Do you want my help to look for the clothes?” He offered. “If you don’t mind” I replied.

            “Of course I don’t mind. Let’s take a look around the store and see which fits the wedding ceremony” He suggested, as he pulled my hand to go along with him. He scanned through the hanging rack consists of multiple of clothes, picking out a few in the process. “Go try these out” He handed me the selected clothes, asking me to go to the fitting room to try. “Let me see how it looks, okay?” He added. I nodded my head and went to the fitting room.

            With every of the clothes that I’ve tried on, I let him decided which one is the best. After trying on multiple of the clothes that he picked for me, we have finally landed on a knee-length dress, with a peachy colour. “I think this one is great,” he crossed his arms as he speaks. “I think we should get this dress,” He stated without any hesitation.

            I paid for the dress and let out a sigh of relief as we walked out of the store. “Are you glad that you’ve found the clothes?” he questioned. “Yeah, the wedding ceremony is just two days away, I would be very, panic if I didn’t found one” I expressed my worry. “If you’re okay, do you want to drop by a café nearby? I feel like I want to have a glass of chocolate” Eunwoo stated.

            “Sure, I don’t mind”

            We dropped by the nearest café nearby. Eunwoo what I wanted to drink and offered to go to the counter to order it. I looked around the café for a vacant table and found one at the corner of the store. I walked towards the vacant table and sit down, leaning back against the chair. I read some comic as I waited for Eunwoo to finish ordering the drinks. After a few minutes of waiting, Eunwoo came with two glasses each in both of his hands.

            “Welcome back” I put my phone down and grabbed my drink that Eunwoo handed to me. “The store is unexpectedly full with people”, he stated as he looked around the coffee shop. I took a sip of my drinks before agreeing to his statement. “I was thinking about something that made me almost burst out laughing” I randomly confessed.

            “What is it?”

            “We worked at a coffee shop yet we come to other coffee shop” I lightly laughed. Eunwoo found it funny as he laughed along. “That’s kinda true,” he sipped his drinks. “Let’s hope Jinyoung won’t find us here”, He jokingly said, adding a bit more laughter in our conversation. We spent some time together at the café talking and decided to leave when the clock pointed at 5 in the evening.

            Eunwoo walked me home to make sure that I got home safe, and we bid farewell when I’ve reached my apartment safely.

            “Ava!” I heard Nayeon called my name from her room as I closed the door behind me. “Wait a second!” I quickly took off my shoes and fast walking to her room. “What is it? You sound like it’s something urgent”

            “It is!” She answered. “I don’t know which dress to wear! I can’t choose”, she said in frustration. “Help me choose!” She turned around to look at me, holding hanger on each of her hands. I dragged my legs to her bed and sat on it. “It’s still two days away. You have two days to make decision” I raised my eyebrow.

            “But I am indecisive! I won’t be able to decide even if I was given two days”

            “What do I do with you,” I shook my head. “Let me see” I added.

            She showed me two long dressed, one with a lilac colour and another one with a maroon colour. After giving it some thoughts, I spurted out, “I think the lilac is better”

            “You think so?”

            “I do”, I nodded my head. She turned around to look at the mirror again, putting the dress close to her body. “Are you sure?” She asked, her eyes are still glued to the mirror. “Yes, I am sure” I said, firmly. “Okay then”, She said without arguing much. “Are you ready for the upcoming event?” She put her dress back into her closet.

            “I don’t think I do”

            “Now you can’t say you’re not ready” Nayeon said as she smiled. The next moment I realised, two days have passed. And I am currently sitting at my makeup desk. My reflection on the mirror is intensely staring back at me. “I looked,” I stare at my reflection. “Different” I continued.

            “In a good way” Nayeon said as she packed up her makeup kits, putting it back into her makeup purse. “You look stunning!” She turned around to look at me. “This means that my makeup is a success!” She crossed her arms, looking satisfied with her skill. She picked up her makeup purse from the desk and spun around before exiting my room in joy.

            “Come on! Take your handbag! We gotta get going now” She shouted from the other side of the house. “Maybe I should take a mirror selfie” I muttered to myself. I took my phone off the desk and took a few quick mirror selfie before going out of my room.

            “I can’t believe we looked gorgeous!” Nayeon exclaimed in delight as she entered her car. “You’ve been saying it for a few times now, Nayeon”

            “I know! But I can’t help it okay?” A smile plastered across her face. “Okay, seatbelts on!” She the engine. “And off we go!”

            We arrived at a tall looking building. The building is painted in a white colour paint and there’s people that’s going in and out of the building. “We’re here!” She unbuckled her seatbelt and went out of the car to take the bouquet of flower she brought with her for the bride at the back seat. I unbuckled my seatbelt and stepped out of the vehicle.

            “Let’s go!” She said after locking her car. I followed her from behind. We entered the building and I can’t help but to look around. There’s a group of ladies that are standing at the corner, all of them looking stunning. On one of the ladies’ hand, a similar invitation card as Nayeon could be seen.

            As we climbed the stairs, I could see a group of men in tuxedo talking to each other. “Where’s the venue?” I caught up to Nayeon and whispered to her ears. “Here” She said, suddenly stopping in front of a huge door painted in milky colour. “The bride?” I took a guess. She nodded her head, took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

            “Come in!” We could hear a feminine voice spoke from behind the door. Nayeon looked at me before pushing the door inwards. She flashed her brightest smile she could give towards the bride and congratulates her.

            Nayeon started introducing herself as the florist who helped setting up the venue the flowers from her shop. “Ah, I heard about you from my partner! Thank you for helping out!” She smiled.

            “And this is my housemate, Ava” Nayeon introduced me to the bride. “Congratulations!” I said afterwards as I approached the bride. “Thank you! You both look really lovely” She complimented us. Nayeon and I shyly said thank you to her. We took a few pictures with the bride before excusing ourselves as her friends have come to see her.

            “I guess we should go to the hall now” Nayeon said. We walked towards the hall where the ceremony is being held and stood at the side of the door. “Where do we sit?” I muttered out to Nayeon as I was unable to spot an empty table. “I think there’s a vacant seat there” A husky voice spoke.

            I turned to my right and saw a guy with brown-ish hair, pointing at the direction where he located an empty table. The hall is a bit dark so I couldn’t really see how he looked like. “Thank you” I said. He smiled at me, “No problem”

            I poked Nayeon on her arm and bring her to the empty table. “How can you see? I couldn’t even found one” Nayeon questioned me after we settled down at the table. “A random guy helped me just now”

            “Oh, is he hot?”

            “I don’t know. I couldn’t see..” I spoke halfway as a mc appeared on the stage with a microphone, cutting my intention to finish my line. The mc greeted the audience a good evening. “Thank you for coming to the ceremony today” He said to the audience. His voice could be heard coming out from the speakers. He continued talking and doing his job as a mc diligently. “I think I saw brownies” Nayeon whispered to me, her eyes are already scanning the food section.

            The ceremony began after the mc finished with his speech, and the bride came into the hall after a few minutes have passed. Everyone was talking pictures of the bride as she walked down the aisle, complimenting on how pretty she looks today.

            Nayeon went to get some food when the time to eat has come. “I’ll be right back” She said and hurriedly walked towards the food section. She came back after several minutes, a plate full of food on one of her hands, and a plate with brownies and dessert on the other. “Glutton” I .

            “Hey! A woman who is full is a happy woman!” She settled down on her seat and began eating her meal. I laughed before making my way to get some food for myself.

            We spent some time at the hall, eating. Nayeon couldn’t get over the brownies as she keep going back and forth to get some more of it. “This should be your last plate of brownies, I swear” I looked at her as she put the brownies into . “As if” She mumbled. “I’m going to the bathroom for a while. I think I drank too much water” I stood up, and exited the hall.

            Walking down the hallway, I almost lost while looking for the bathroom. I applied some lipstick on my lips and fixed my hair before going out of the bathroom. As I was looking down on my handbag to put my lipstick back, I accidentally stumbled across someone, making some of my stuff fell out of my handbag.

            “I’m so sorry!” I knee down on the ground as I quickly picked up my stuff. “No, don’t worry” the person replied. He handed me the letter that my grandma gave me. I looked up at his face before taking it from him. “Thank you” I put it back into my handbag and stood up. “I’m sorry for troubling you” I said to the guy that is standing in front of me. “It’s okay! No big deal” He smiled.

            I unconsciously stare at his face. He has a brown-ish hair colour and has the same voice from the guy that helped me back then at the hall. But I couldn’t see the guy’s face from the hall, so I can’t really be sure if they are the same person. “If… you excuse me” I bowed down, excusing myself.

            “Where have you been?” Nayeon asked once I reached the table. “Toilet”

            “That took you so long. This is my seventh plate of brownies” She claimed. “Are you serious?” I looked at her, my eyes wide open. She nodded her head, leaning against the chair, she rubbed her stomach. “Quit that” I laughed and hit her lightly at the arm.

            We left the hall after Nayeon has down eating, making our way back to the car.

            A few days have passed since the ceremony; I went back to my usual routine. As I was wiping the counter with a towel, Eunwoo approached me with a cup of chocolate in his hand. He offered it to me and I gladly accepted it. “So, how’s the wedding?” He leaned back against the counter, crossing his arms. He folded his sleeves up to his elbows and emitting the attractive aura.

            I swear if any of his fans witness this view, that would be the end of them.

            “It went well. I really love the dress that you picked. It fits with my skin colour so well” I smiled, taking a sip of the chocolate he just offered. “That’s a good thing to hear” He said, taking over my work and wiped the counter. “I guess so” I nodded and proceed to drink the chocolate.

            The bell swung open and I could hear footsteps entering the store. I quietly put my chocolate on the counter, wiped my hands on my apron before turning around to greet the customer. “Welcome!” I said as I gave my best smile. The guy looked at me, and I stare back at him.

            ‘He looked familiar, somehow’ I thought to myself.

            “Oh, aren’t you the one from the wedding ceremony?” He asked me. I stared at him for a few good minutes, trying to recall my memories. “Miss… Ava, right?” He added.

            My brain stopped functioning for a moment after he called out my name. After trying my absolute best to recall, I finally remember his face. ‘How could I forget his good-looking face?’

            “You’re the guy that I’ve bumped into the other day!” I said. He smiled as he heard my reply. “We meet again at a different place” A smile plastered across his face. “Yeah, that’s a miracle” I said. “So, may I take your order?” I asked, politely. “Can I have caramel macchiato, please?” He said after reading the menu on the board above me. “Sure!”

            I key in his order, received his payment and passed the order to Eunwoo. He walked towards one of the empty seat and waited for his order. Eunwoo called out for his name as his drinks is done. He went back to his seat after taking his order, continuing his work on his laptop. After the peak hours of the café have passed, he packed his stuff, stood up from his seat and said thank you to me before walking out of the store.

            But little do I know that things are going to change up a little bit soon.