Unity

Don't Play With Fire

 

Sooyeon was enjoying a night of rest after her father kept her up late, reprimanding her about the dangers of going beyond the walls. Then it turned into a history lesson on why walls were even built for protection. It was late by the time her father finished and she was allowed to rest. Normally the water princess would sleep until lunch time, but the sounding of drums beyond her hotel woke her up. From the angle of the sun in the sky, she assumed this to be very early in the morning.

Yuri turned to her side on her bed to face Sooyeon, “why is there so much noise?”

Sooyeon groaned and tried to stop the noise with her pillow, but it seemed to get louder and louder, “what nonsense could be going on this early?”

Yuri sat up and looked around before taking a peek out their window, “There is a huge crowd outside. Do you think it has something to do with the festival today?”

Unable to go back to sleep, Sooyeon also got up and joined Yuri by the window, “Humm…Taeyeon did say this thing was an all day event, but starting this early is mean.”

“We should get dressed. I don’t want to miss out on any activities.”

Sooyeon rubbed her eyes, still trying to wake up, “Why are you so excited?”

“Party. I want to have fun! That means you are coming with me to have fun!”

Sooyeon groaned some more as Yuri helped her get dressed into something a little more formal for the festival. They chose to mix garments of both the water and fire tribes, as to honor both countries today. They also agreed it would be strange to be at a Fire Festival with no fire tribe clothing on.

Yuri and Sooyeon got permission from the Chief to go out and have fun, but was told to return for a shared meal at dinner, but she figured Minho would come find her when the time came.

“What do you think there is to do?”

Sooyeon shrugged, “I don’t know. Should we go towards the city center and see what is going on over there?”

“Sure! I am sure we can get something tasty to eat at least.”

Sooyeon smiled at the thought of food, “Hum I wonder if there is any special foods for the festival.”

Yuri followed Sooyeon towards the city center where the noise of the drums grew louder and louder. Following the sounds, Sooyeon and Yuri stopped to watch the Fire nation people play their instruments fiercely. It was interesting to watch the theatrical dance, as if they were playing the drums with the skills of a fire bender. The movements were fluid as if they were to blast fire our of their hands, but instead their hands pounded on the drums creating a hypnotizing and strong beat.

“Wow…how do they not break those drums?”

Sooyeon giggled, “I think they are trying to get every once of sound out of those things. Like always, the fire nation has to look fierce, even when playing an instrument that can be played delicately. It is like they like the sound of war.”

Yuri nodded, “Yes it does sound like they are sounding the troops for battle.”

“Yet again you do not know anything about the fire nation water bender.”

Sooyeon quickly turned around to find Taeyeon leaning against a home, “You…”

Taeyeon smirked, “I thought it would be much later until we meet, but here you are, already next to my home.”

Sooyeon looked around to see they were very close to the tribe leader’s gate, “I didn’t know…”

Taeyeon kept her devilish smirk as if she was challenging Sooyeon’s defense, “the drums…that is not a call for battle. It is the sounding of the people. We cheer for the greatness of our country.”

Sooyeon rolled her eyes, “It is just a bunch of noise that woke me from my slumber.”

Taeyeon pushed herself off the wall to approach the water tribe women, “It is a very important part to the beginning of the festival. It is meant to awake the people to join us in celebration. It starts and ends at the home of the leader…my father. Come, he will give a speech.”

Sooyeon and Yuri followed behind Taeyeon who guided them near the front, just enough so they could see the Fire Chief stand tall before the people, “Welcome! It is a great tradition that we honor the Fire Nation! Our strength lies with our people who bring us great victories, bountiful harvests and is the strength to move us forward! I now declare the official start of the Fire Festival!”

Again the drums start with a strong beat, thump thump thump before a bender rushed forward breathing out a dragon. Sooyeon was in awe at the depiction of a dragon in fireform. It was fascinating to see such great bending skills.

With her eyes knitted and arms folded Taeyeon whispered, “I can do that too.”

Sooyeon chose to ignore the fire woman as the great display of firebending continued until the grand finale of two benders combining their skills to light up a row of torches.

“That was amazing.” Yuri clapped when the performance finished.

Sooyeon stepped away from the crowd to face Taeyeon, “It was very entertaining.”

Taeyeon scoffed, “That is just the start. The ending is much more grand.”

“Are there things we can do now? Yuri and I haven’t had our morning meal yet.”

Taeyeon hated the idea of being the guide for the water tribe women, but she had to show them this amazing restaurant that had the best noodles, “I know of a place.”

Sooyeon and Yuri followed behind the fire woman who stood tall and greeted commoners in the kingdom. Since they spent time with her at night, Sooyeon didn’t realize how well-known Taeyeon was in the city until now. It was if every commoner knew to bow and great Taeyeon as she passed by, Sooyeon also didn’t miss the smirk on Taeyeon’s face, who was enjoying the attention.

Eventually, the three made it outside a restaurant where the owner quickly got up and greeted the firebender, “Miss Taeyeon! How great it is to see you again!”

Taeyeon bowed back to the elderly man, “Yes, you know how I enjoy your food. I have 2 guests with me today.”

The man bowed a few times before ushering them to a table, “Here, the best table in the restaurant is ready for you.”

Taeyeon flipped back her coat and sat tall and proud on the stool. The man was about to give Taeyeon’s guests a menu, but Taeyeon put her hand up and halted his actions, “3 bowls of fire noodles and tea.”

Sooyeon looked at Yuri with worry on her face, “do they only eat spicy food?”

Taeyeon lifted her lip in a smirk, “It is a combination of flavor and spice. I heard your land just eats bland things like fish. Our spices must be new to your pallet.”

Sooyeon sat up tall to match Taeyeon’s height, “When you are surrounded by water, oceanic food is what we eat mostly yes, but our lands can grow crops and spices just as well. I just find it interesting that you need to put peppers in all your dishes to make it taste good. Our food stays true to the taste of the food we are eating. You could say refreshing like water.”

Taeyeon laughed a bit, “food is to energize you for the day. Why have something refreshing?

“I won’t convince you until you visit our lands. Someday, I hope to show you the ways of my people through food.” Sooyeon happily sipped her tea which had a hint of cinnamon, “even your tea does not cleanse the palate.”

Taeyeon sipped the tea, “It is a specialty for the festival today.”

Yuri joined in on tasting the tea, “I like it. Although not relaxing, it makes me feel energized to start the day.”

Sooyeon nudged Yuri under the table, not to encourage the cocky fire bender.

Taeyeon lifted her lip into a smirk and eyeing out the flustered water bender.

Sooyeon cleared , “I prefer teas that help me focus my chi, like green teas.”

Taeyeon scoffed at Sooyeon’s comment, but was happy when the elderly shop owner stopped this pointless argument with noodles, “please enjoy.”

Taeyeon smiled at the red sauce drowning the noodles, “I don’t always get a chance to eat street food, but this is one of my favorites. It might be a bit spicy for your fish pallet.”

Sooyeon puffed her cheeks in defiance and broke her chopsticks before shoving a huge amount of noodles into . It was extremely spicy and made her eyes water, but the flavors that filled was so different, yet wonderful. These were some of the best noodles she ever had although she quickly reached for her tea to calm her burning mouth.

Taeyeon picked at her noodles as she watched the water girls eating the noodles and reaching for the tea after every bite, “how do you like our food?”

Sooyeon finished her last bite as she waved to cool it down, “I might turn into a fire bender soon.”

Taeyeon nearly fell out of her chair laughing, “That is something I would love to see.”

Yuri also finished by gulping down the rest of her drink, “it was really good.”

Taeyeon felt like the compliment on her country’s food, was like a compliment to her. She was very proud of everything her country offered. It made eating the food even more delicious.

As Sooyeon sipped on the rest of her tea, she leaned back in her chair watching Taeyeon finish her meal, “What else is there to do at this festival? Yuri wants to try all the food but I want entertainment.”

Taeyeon smirked, “The main square has a stage. We can go there. I promise you that food vendors line that area too.”

Sooyeon stood up to get her money and pay but Taeyeon rushed over to pay the old many before her, even as she chewed on her last noodles.

“I can pay for our food.” Sooyeon offered

Taeyeon reached for a tissue to wipe away the food from and argued, “You are a guest of my nation.”

Sooyeon didn’t know why she blushed but she found Taeyeon’s civility flattering.

Getting up from the table, all the girls bowed to the kindly owner and thanked him for the first meal. Going to their next destination, Taeyeon walked ahead of the girls as they lagged behind looking at various items for sale.

The water nation girls noticed a lot of kids buying traditional painted masks and the various street performers doing simple fire bending tricks to amaze the crowd. Such acts differed from traditional festival activities in their countries. However, Taeyeon always had to comment that she learned those things when she was still a baby. Sooyeon knew that wasn’t possible, but she found Taeyeon’s remarks amusing.

Not a long walk away from the noodle shop, the trio arrived at a large stage that took up half of the central square. Already there were people around anticipating the next stage. “All the top performers come here. It is still early…some of the best fire bending is better to see at night. Right now there are kid shows and things of that kind.”

Sooyeon was captivated by the large performance venue, but when she turned to say something to Yuri, the girl was already off at another street vender, “Taeyeon what are fire flakes?”

The two made their way over to Yuri, but when Sooyeon saw Taeyeon smirking so she knew it couldn’t be good, “A snack. You should try it out.”

Yuri quickly rummaged around her pockets for money and bought a sack of what looked like some kind of seed, so she shoved a whole bunch in at once.

“Yuri! They might be hot.” Sooyeon warned the girl in vein.

Hot wasn’t even a word for it. It was like an explosion of fire that ripped through causing Yuri to run off to find some relief. Sooyeon was ready to chase after her but she caught Taeyeon busting a gut in laughter, causing her to lose sight of where Yuri was going.

“Great…look what you did. Now we lost her.”

Taeyeon wiped the tears from her eyes, “she is not very bright.”

Sooyeon rolled her eyes knowing that was partially true, “She is very passionate.”

“I have never seen someone try that many fire flakes at once. Brave soul.”

“You could have warned her they were hot!”

“Did I really need to? Look around you girl, this is the fire nation. We love our food spicy! It should come at no surprise.”

Sooyeon huffed, “We should go find her.”

Taeyeon shrugged, “What is the point? She can find her way back here. Come on, lets enjoy the festival while she finds a bucket of water.”

Without Taeyeon’s help, Sooyeon knew trying to find Yuri was going to be too difficult so she followed behind Taeyeon who went to the stage where a magic show started, “A bending magic performance?”

Taeyeon stood tall with her arms crossed, “Yes. Do you have these in your village as well?”

Sooyeon nodded, “Yes. They are very enjoyable. When I learned snow bending for the first time, I used to entertain the kids with story-like magic.”

Taeyeon raised her brow as she looked at the water bender, wondering what kind of white fairytale she lived in. Maybe that is why Sooyeon gave off such a strange sense of innocence.

When the magic show started, Sooyeon clapped in excitement. The magician started with simple tricks of making things appear and disappear by using fire. Then the real show started, “You see when the fire nation was born, it is said that there were 2 very powerful dragons that ruled the land. One dragon did not want to give their power of breathing fire to the people, afraid they would abuse it and cause more harm. However the other dragon, thought the people should have it to protect their nation from the enemy. One day, a brave soul came to meet these two dragons and ask them for the power of fire as their enemies were close in on their village.”

Just then, the magician stopped and scanned the audience, “Who out there would like to be the brave soul to face the dragons!”

Taeyeon groaned at this part of the who, but was shocked to find Sooyeon raising her hand eagerly, “What are you a child?”

Sooyeon shushed the fire girl, “Be quiet, I want to face a dragon.”

Taeyeon laughed but was quickly shut up when the magician pointed at Sooyeon to come to the stage, “You young girl! You think you are brave enough to face a dragon!?”

Sooyeon jumped up and down with joy before running to the stage, “I have never met a dragon before.”

The magician seated Sooyeon down, “Then you will be amazed as you will get the chance to face one in the eyes!”

Taeyeon watched as the magician breathed in deeply before swirling his arms round and round causing a fireball to form before breathing out the form of a fire dragon. Noting how large the magician got the dragon, Taeyeon recognized this person to be a fairly skilled fire bender. She watched as the magician danced the dragon around in the sky before looking at Sooyeon who was also amazed at this amazing fire performance.

“Girl are you still not scared of the powerful dragon?!”

On the contrary, Sooyeon was smiling in excitement, “No! I want to save my people!”

The magician laughed at the girl continuing the storyline, “Then you will need to say that to him in the eyes!”

Taeyeon felt the world slow down while she watched the magician maneuver the dragon in one more circle before it wrapped around and headed straight for Sooyeon. Out of instinct, Taeyeon rushed onto the stage between Sooyeon and the fire dragon, using her fire bending to push the dragon back up and explode into smoke.

The magician came next to Taeyeon and whispered, “Are you trying to upstage me kid?”

Taeyeon looked around and saw the audience cheering at Taeyeon’s bravery in facing the dragon.

Quick on his feet, the magician played along, “Unknown to this dragon, the other dragon already gave the warriors ability to fire bend and this one came here to save the foolish girl who thought she could face the dragon alone!”

Sooyeon furrowed her brows, “Foolish?”

The magician rushed the two girls off stage, “Don’t come back and ruin my show later kid.”

Taeyeon wanted to kick the magician’s for him calling her kid, but her attention changed as she saw Sooyeon pouting and muttering foolish.

“He called me up there! What kind of show was that? Were you on this Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon waved her arms, “Hell no…it is just the fire was getting close…that magician was stupid.”

Seeing Taeyeon muttering bashfully, it was then Sooyeon realized Taeyeon may have come up to the stage to rescue her, “Oh? Well…I could have taken down that fire dragon if I needed to.”

Taeyeon laughed, “those are some big words.”

Sooyeon smiled, “then you make a fire dragon and I will put it out with my bending.”

Taeyeon liked the challenge but she didn’t want to encourage a fight between the girl, “I could make a much larger dragon than that guy.”

“I would like to see you try!” Sooyeon challenged.

“What can you do? Make the largest snowman?”

Sooyeon laughed, “The snowman vs the dragon, I think that would be an amusing children’s show.”

“Next year when you come to the fire festival, I will make sure you have a place on that stage to show the kids that fire melts a snowman.”

Sooyeon giggled, “So you want to do a show with me?”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew big, “W-what? No…that stupid magician can do it with you.”

Sooyeon caught on to Taeyeon and bumped her shoulder to lighten the mood, “I hear some music over there, do you want to check it out?”

Taeyeon liked the topic change, “Yes. Music. Did you know the official instrument of our country is the drums? Such a simple contraption and is beloved by all the nations.”

“Personally, I like the flute. It is calming and beautiful.”

“Then you will not like fire nation music. It can be loud and expressive.” Taeyeon lead the way past the city center, into an ally which lead out to another square, that was the source of the music. However, it was not as Taeyeon described, there were many musicians playing with various instruments using strong beats but calmed with some of the string instruments.

Sooyeon watched in amazement, “This is really good. I can feel their energy!”

Taeyeon stood aside with her arms crossed, like she always did, watching the various performers, “Not bad.”

“Not bad?” Sooyeon mocked Taeyeon, “Doesn’t this kind of music make you want to dance?”

“No.” Taeyeon flatly denied.

Sooyeon tried to pull Taeyeon closer to the music to get her to join in, “Come on Taeyeon, today is a celebration. Look other people are here dancing. I knew your people knew how to do it! Why can’t you just move along with the music? It is fun.”

“I am not the expressive type. Go on, I brought you here to enjoy so go off and enjoy on your own.” Taeyeon tried to get Sooyeon to go away and do her dancing alone, but Sooyeon was very persistent and apparently very strong.

Using all her might, Sooyeon grabbed Taeyeon by the arm and nearly knocked them both over as she dragged the reluctant fire bender closer to the crowd of people dancing, “Come on, just move a bit like this.”

Taeyeon watched as Sooyeon swayed from side to side, “No way. That looks stupid.”

“Who cares, just express your body.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “I am too noticeable. I need to be a stern and powerful princess.”

Sooyeon laughed, “Or an understanding one that enjoys her own culture?” Grabbing both of Taeyeon’s hands, she tries to coax the fire girl to dance with her, but instead it is a sad display of a reluctant girl in red being forced into a dance puppetry.

Just as Sooyeon was to give up on making Taeyeon have fun, the music shifted dramatically into something much slower. Not knowing what came over her, Sooyeon followed her instincts and leaned in, placing Taeyeon’s hands on her hips as her arms draped over Taeyeon’s shoulders, “I assume you know how to dance to something like this?”

Taeyeon blushed when she realized how close she was to the water bender. Her legs moved on their own as she followed Sooyeon’s lead. It was like she was frozen with the proximity but her body moved out of instinct with her eyes never leaving Sooyeons’. This water girl was brash and had no sense of personal space, yet Taeyeon fought the urge to close her eyes and just enjoy the moment.

Eventually the song ended and Sooyeon stood apart from Taeyeon, “Liar. You know how to dance.”

Taeyeon cleared , “Of course I can. It is just that my skills are too great to show off.”

Sooyeon couldn’t hold in her laughter as she let out a hefty laugh, “What an amazing retort. I got to say, that is the most original reason for not wanting to dance. I know you do not like it, but there are times you need to let the music take you away.”

Taeyeon stood mum, not wanting to admit that it wasn’t the music that led her away.

“Hey look. The sun is finally setting. We should go find a place to see it better.”

“We can go on the rooftops. I know just the place.” Taeyeon guided Sooyeon through the village again, “It has been a while since I went to the rooftop, but I used to do it all the time when I was a kid. I assume if a kid can climb to the top of a roof, you can too.”

Sooyeon stuck her tongue out, “To let you know, I am very athletic.”

Taeyeon took them back to the abandoned school and pulled over a barrel. Without hesitation, Taeyeon leapt onto the barrel and hoisted herself up onto the roof, “Now you.” Sooyeon stepped back and did as Taeyeon, but as she reached for the roof, her hand slipped. Taeyeon was quick and held hand, “I got you,” before pulling her up. “I thought you were athletic?”

Sooyeon shifted over on the roof, “Your roofs are different than the ones in the water tribe.”

Taeyeon laughed, “What an excuse you have.” Leaning back on her hands, Taeyeon took a moment to enjoy the setting sun, “I don’t think I have enjoyed this festival as much as I did today.”

Sooyeon mimicked Taeyeon’s pose, “It is because of my amazing company.”

“I doubt that.”

Sooyeon smiled knowing she must be the cause of Taeyeon having a good day.

As the sun set, the sky changed into a pale hue of yellow, orange, ands some hints of pink. It was beautiful, one that both girls wish they could capture and keep the beauty for years to come. It was so peaceful to be slightly away from the crowd and enjoy the moment in almost complete silence.

However, the silence was eclipsed by the explosion of fireworks when the last bit of sun descended, “Oh! Fireworks!”

Taeyeon smiled as the sky filled with various colors, “pretty…”

Sooyeon turned to look at Taeyeon who watched with a serene look, it was the first time Sooyeon has seen the girl so at peace. It as a time Sooyeon used to fully appreciate the fire girl’s beauty behind the cover of her strong make-up and leather jacket.

Taeyeon sat up to full appreciate the beauty eclipsing the sky, “Fireworks make it seem like a new beginning to the festival.”

Sooyeon shifted a bit closer to Taeyeon, “It is truly beautiful.”

A small gust of wind blew over the rooftop causing the water girl to shiver. Taeyeon saw this and immediately pulled off her jacket and draped it around Sooyeon, “Here.”

Sooyeon wrapped the jacket around herself. It was just as warm as the owner. Leaning over, Sooyeon placed her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder, “Seeing all the people have so much fun down there makes me want to join, but being alone up here is so nice.”

Taeyeon didn’t mind the water bender placing her head on her shoulder, “I like it up here too. The darkness is like a blank slate allowing you to be at peace with yourself.”

Sooyeon hummed in agreement, but feeling slightly lethargic with the warm coat around her, Taeyeon’s calming scent filling her nose and a very comfortable shoulder to lean on. She could see herself falling asleep at this very moment, but Taeyeon’s gentle voice woke her up.

“Did you want to go back down to the festival? The fireworks finished.”

“5 more minutes.”

Taeyeon chuckled as she looked down, seeing the water bender’s eyes closed, “You can’t sleep up here.”

“You are just very comfortable.”

A gentle smile graced Taeyeon’s face as she brushed a few strands of hair out of Sooyeon’s face, “5 more minutes then.”

Sooyeon also smiled as she shifted even closer, so much so that her left side of her body was fully against Taeyeons’.

Sitting in complete silence, both girls didn’t know how much time passed as they enjoyed each other’s company for that moment, but when huge balls of fire started to light the sky, Sooyeon opened her eyes, “What is that?”

“I told you before, the night fire display. Some of our best benders come out to show their skills.”

Reluctantly, Sooyeon lifted her head off Taeyeon, “Shouldn’t you be down there then?”

Taeyeon crossed her arms to get some warmth, “I don’t need to show off for them. They know I am the best.”

Sooyeon laughed as she took the coat off herself and wrapped Taeyeon back in, “you look cold.”

Taeyeon turned, facing Sooyeon, “If I get cold, I can just make fire.” Effortlessly, Taeyeon made a small fire in her hands, “See.”

Sooyeon smiled as she snuggled closer to Taeyeon and the fire, “You should have done that a long time ago, then you wouldn’t have been shivering.”

“I thought you fell asleep on my arm.”

Sooyeon giggled, “It was tempting. Are all fire benders this warm?”

Taeyeon put out the fire in her hands and reached for Sooyeon’s, “Are water benders always this cold? It is like I am holding a piece of ice…are you dead?” Testing to see if Sooyeon was alive, she cupped her face and held it close, “You are cold.”

Sooyeon stared into Taeyeon’s eyes before she put her hand over Taeyeon’s, “You are warm.”

Taeyeon knew she was in trouble as she locked eyes with Sooyeon, who was staring back at her with such an intensity. As if a fire was burning in her stomach up to her chest, she naturally closed her eyes and leaned in to kiss those frozen lips. Sooyeon sighed as warm lips took over hers and she too closed her eyes, savoring this precious moment. Never in a million years did either think that water and fire could mix, yet Sooyeon was playing with fire and Taeyeon water.

On that rooftop, two elements became one.

ارنارنارنارنارنارنارنارناااءماءماءماءماءماءماء

~Several Months Later~

The horn of a docked ship blasted across the shipyard announcing its arrival. Herds of merchants and citizens exited the ship as if returning home, but there was one woman who stood out in a stark red jacket shivering, “it is f’n cold here.” Rubbing her arms to get more warmth, the woman hastily made her way off the ship and stood around on shore, anxiously looking for someone. Like a lost lamb, the woman, aimlessly stood with her arms crossed before a huge fur coat was thrown over her shoulders.

“I told you that you needed a warmer coat.”

Taeyeon smiled as she turned around to see her, “no place should be this cold.”

Wrapping the coat tighter around her, Sooyeon smiled, “you little baby, I even made a fire for you in the village.”

“Did you steal some of my powers?” Taeyeon mocked.

Sooyeon rolled her eyes, “Anyone can make a fire, however, I have yet to see you make water out of thin air.” Expertly, Sooyeon held her hands up and formed a waterball, that she frozen into a snowball before she crashed it on Taeyeon’s head.

The fire girl grimaced in anger, “Oh you are going to pay for that.”

Sooyeon stuck her tongue out, “If you can catch me!”

Taeyeon reached down to grab some snow and threw it at Sooyeon but the water girl bent the ball backwards hitting Taeyeon in the face, “Yah! Not fair!”

Sooyeon continued to run away as Taeyeon started chasing her, but she wasn’t watching where she was going and slipped on some ice before Taeyeon dashed ahead to catch her.

“And I thought this was your element?” Taeyeon teased.

Sooyeon smiled looking into those yellow eyes, “My water bending has become a bit rusty. Recently I became the master of fire.”

Taeyeon smiled as leaned down for a kiss, “you wish.”

 

~END~