Water

Don't Play With Fire

 

Moving her hands back and forth, the waves followed the dance of the woman’s hands she worked the water with mind and soul, controlling it effortlessly until some screamed, “Sooyeon!” Quickly the water splashed down causing her to groan in frustration.

“What the hell Yuri I was so close to figuring out this new move.”

Yuri shrugged, “Who cares. You always practice.”

Sooyeon sat down on the closest rock looking out into the expanse of the ocean, “Some day I want to control all of it.”

“You will. Didn’t you forget that you are the princess of the Northern Water Tribe?”

“Not for a minute which is why I need to practice.” Sooyeon got up and was ready to make a move again, but Yuri interrupted.

“I need you to come with me to the…” Yuri mumbled the rest of her sentence.

Sooyeon turned around quickly facing her friend, “What?”

“I need to go on land. To the fire nation…”

Sooyeon laughed, “That is absurd.”

“Well not the capital. Just the town off the shore. It is part of the fire nation but a lot of tribes go to that village for commerce.”

Sooyeon snickered, “And what business do you have there?”

“Does it matter? I need to get away from this village.”

“What? Why? Our village is the best. Way better than that Southern Water tribe. We can control the snow and the water. They can only control water.”

Yuri rolled her eyes, “Don’t you want to see the world? If you are going to rule one day, you need to get to know all the villages and tribes.”

“Yes. When the time comes mother and father will take me on their journeys to other nations. I will meet with the Fire Nation and the Earth Nation, but only when they think it is necessary. At the moment father wants me to practice the water whip. So go back to practice your swimming or something.”

“You are so boring. Don’t you have some sense of adventure? Don’t you want to meet new people and see new things?”

“Nope. Go ask another person from the tribe to go with you.”

Yuri groaned out loud, “You are my only friend.”

Sooyeon laughed, “Oh come on. You are very popular. I find that hard to believe.”

“Sure I am popular because I am basically the fastest swimmer of all the water tribes, but that isn’t true friendship. I have known you since we were kids, we grew up together and I saw your first water bend. You were also the only person who almost killed me when you accidentally turned water into ice.”

Sooyeon grimaced, “I am still very sorry about that. I didn’t know I could freeze water like that and I wanted to hit you with a water ball, not a bunch of ice shards.”

“My reflexes are fast. And I admit that was still very cool.” Yuri started laughing at her own pun causing Sooyeon to roll her eyes.

“Anyway there is no way you can convince me to go to shore with you. Not happening.”

Yuri quickly dropped to her knees, “Pleeeeeease! I will never ask this of you again!”

Sooyeon was shocked that Yuri was reduced to begging, “I still don’t know why you want to go so bad? If you give me one good reason to go, I will ask father, but if he says no, then that is that.”

Yuri quickly got up, “Great! We should ask your father now!”

“What?! NO! He is a very busy person! No way should we bother him about something this unimportant.” Sooyeon started following Yuri who was walking back to the village already, “Yuri stop! You are not meeting my father!”

Yuri rolled her eyes when she spotted the elder, “He is busy you say?”

Sooyeon also saw her father playing with her little sister acting like a complete child playing tag, “H-he he does look busy.”

Yuri laughed before waving, “Chief Jung! Sir! Hello! Sooyeon followed reluctantly towards her father who was already waving and greeting Yuri with a hug.

“Is this the youngest Kwon? You have gotten so tall! Much taller than my eldest!”

“Dad!” Sooyeon protested.

“I do wonder why you are not growing anymore? Soon your sister who is only 5 will be taller than you.”

“Yah! Dad! You are so mean.” Sooyeon pouted causing her father to pat her on the back.

“So what are you both up to these days? My Sooyeon has been so busy with her studies I wonder if she has fun. It is good to see you are keeping her company.”

Yuri smiled widely, “This is exactly why I want to see you sir!”

The chief stood to attention, “Really? What about?”

“I want to go to shore to the fire village! I am afraid Sooyeon is studying too hard and only focusing on her water abilities. She needs to experience life. There is no better schooling than experiencing the world.”

The chief rubbed his chin in thought, “Yuri may have a point Sooyeon. It is about time your mother and I have you experience time away from the tribe. If you are to take my place, you should meet with other benders and experience life in other parts of the world.”

“Exactly! I knew you would understand sir!” Yuri beamed in excitement.

“It is settled! Next week Sooyeon will come with me to the fire tribe. We are in a need of some supplies and it has been a while since I met anyone from the fire nation. Sooyeon you will accompany me to meet the chief of that village.”

Sooyeon bowed her head, “Yes father.”

“And Yuri! You will stay with my Sooyeon the whole trip. Do not separate from her. I will also assign Minho our strongest fighter to guard you. I expect you two to stay close to him at all times. Although we are at peace with the fire nation, there are some who wish for war.” The chief warned.

“Yes sir.” The girls said in unison.

“Great. I will assemble a fleet and we will leave in a few days time. Now I need to go back to playing with my youngest. I am afraid she might still be hiding with our game of hide and seek.”

Yuri watched as the man returned to playing before returning her attention to Sooyeon, “You are welcome. I knew your father would agree.”

Sooyeon rolled her eyes, “I don’t have a good feeling about this.”

Yuri shrugged, “Minho is no problem. I can get rid of him if you would like.”

“What? No! Father is putting him with us for our safety.”

“But if he is around, we won’t get to have some fun.”

“Why are you always trying to cause trouble? Father knows best. I will go meet with the chief of the fire nation village and then go back. That is all.”

Yuri raised her brow, “You say that now…just wait until we arrive.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Sooyeon yelled at Yuri who was already walking away, “Yuri! Yuri. Hey don’t walk away when I am talking!”

ماءماءماءماءماءماءماءماءماءماءماء

After one full day at sea, Sooyeon was ready to kill Yuri. The girl was constantly at her side talking to her about their grand plans when they get on land. All Sooyeon wanted to do was practice water bending but Yuri made it hard to focus. She thought of encasing her in ice, but the thought of killing the girl seemed a little rash so she locked her in the broom closet for several hours, but the girl was clever and got out. When she did get out, she played a cucumber prank on Sooyeon so she never tried locking her in a closet for the remainder of the trip.

“LAND HO!” Yuri yelled from the top deck.

Sooyeon watched the girl from behind as they approached the Earth Nation, “It is a lot greener here…”

“You see there, that is the largest nation! They own all the mountains and rivers on this part of the continent. It is so amazing!”

Sooyeon nodded in agreement. She had never seen so many trees and the mountains looked different than the ones in her home. Although they did have a summer where her island turned green in some areas, seeing the Earth Nation was something else.

Yuri pulled Sooyeon towards her, “Look in the distance you can see the fire nation village. We will use the Earth Nation docks and then travel to the village.”

Then the Water nation chief came up behind his daughter, “Sooyeon my princess do you know why the Fire Nation has a village here?”

“Is it from the great war?”

Her father nodded, “Yes. This was an old military base, but when the Earth and Fire nations signed a peace treaty, the Fire nation demanded that they keep this village in their nation. The Fire Nation claims it is to keep a healthy relationship and exchange commerce, but I can’t say us nations trust the Fire Nation. Their history says otherwise. Keep your eyes sharp my daughter when we are on shore.”

Just then a very handsome young man came up next to the group.

“Sooyeon I am not sure you remember Minho. He will guard you the whole time I can’t be with you.”

Minho bowed.

“I know him. We had bending together. He is very skilled.”

“Maybe you can get some training from him when we return. I expect him to be our next general some day.” The chief said proudly.

Yuri started to laugh in the background causing Sooyeon to mouth, ‘what?’

Yuri made the motion that Sooyeon’s father was trying to match them up.

Sooyeon made a gross face.

“Anyway you youngsters. Have fun. We will be here for the Fire festival. A busy time for the village, but it will be fun. Similar to our Snow festival, but with fire I guess. We will be landing soon.”

Sooyeon waved her father goodbye and watched Minho follow her father before she turned to Yuri, “What the heck, why would my father be matchmaking?”

Yuri shrugged, “You are the princess and need a handsome strong prince. You are the only one that doesn’t know your father wants you two to be matched.”

“Does Minho know?”

Yuri shrugged, “I don’t know. He stays to himself. Most girls like him so you should consider yourself lucky to get him.”

“I don’t want him.”

“You say this like you have a choice.” Yuri shrugged and headed back inside the ship to disembark.

Sooyeon stayed in place looking out into the distance, “I don’t know if there is anyone in the village that I want to marry…”

 

When the shipped docked, a large convoy of oxen came with goods and gifts for their Earth and Fire nation hosts as well as soldiers to guard the Chief and his guests. The Earth nation was very welcoming giving a short performance of their bending skills and brute strength. It was something Sooyeon enjoyed greatly. She had never seen such interesting moves before. Water bending was more of a dance, but Earth bending used sharp movements like they were trying to move mountains with their fists.

Yuri was clapping enthusiastically at the performance, “That was so cool. I can’t wait to see Fire bending and there is Air bending too! I wonder if we are lucky enough to see that.”

Sooyeon nodded in agreement, “That would be interesting.” For once she was excited to be on this trip.

The earth nation guided their guests to the Fire nation village where the Water nation was greeted by their new hosts. There was no performance as the village chief was not present because they were to formally meet him the next night. Instead, they were shown to their hotel and told to rest for the night because of their long journey.

Yuri and Sooyeon were paired to sleep together with Minho next door, “We should sneak out.”

“What? No. We should stay here and get a good night’s rest.”

“This place is strange and too warm.”

Sooyeon laughed, “Didn’t you bring your under coat?”

“No.”

Sooyeon groaned, “Why didn’t you prepare for the warmer climate? Didn’t you know we were going somewhere warmer?”

“I didn’t pay attention in school.”

Sooyeon laughed, “I believe that. In the morning we can get you different clothes.”

“Can’t we go now?” Yuri looked out their window, “The city is not resting! Why are we forced to?”

“Because father wants us to.”

Yuri picked up the clock, “It is too early! I can’t sleep. I am going out.”

Sooyeon quickly got out of bed, “You can’t!”

“I can and will. Are you going to come with me?”

Sooyeon looked at the door and then looked at Yuri, “Y-you should take Minho for protection.”

“What? No way.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t need some boy to protect me. If you won’t come, I will go on my own.”

“It isn’t safe!”

“It would be safer with you. I have no bending skills like you, but I am reasonably strong.”

“Yuri!” Sooyeon begged.

Yuri changed clothes and grabbed a sack with her money, “I am going.”

“Wait!” Sooyeon stood up, “Fine I will go with you.”

Yuri jumped up with joy, “YES! Hurry up! I want to go the city center where the benders might be.”

“I thought we were getting you clothes?”

“They have to sell clothes there too.”

Sooyeon raised her brow as she changed, “I have a feeling you are up to no good.”

“Seriously what can go wrong? Two girls out at night with no protection other than once skillful water bender?”

Sooyeon laughed, “I should get Minho.”

“No! He is such a buzz-kill. I don’t want him.”

“He is a man. He can protect us.”

“Again, we don’t need a man for protection. If you bring him along then you are basically agreeing with your father that you need to marry a man to survive. I am all for you ruling our nation solo.”

Sooyeon had to admit that Yuri was right. How can she prove she is ready to take the throne if she can’t protect herself? And all this training, what was it for if not to use in cases of self-defense?

Then again, Yuri made the decision for her and walked out the door, causing Sooyeon to chase after her.

“Do you know the way?”

“Nope, but a lot of people are walking this way.”

Sooyeon put her hands in her coat pocket as she followed along. Although it was hard following her friend through the crowds. She was amazed by the people, how they dressed, the strange smells and behaviors. This whole new culture made her dizzy and eventually Sooyeon no long saw Yuri.

“Yuri! Yuri!” The girl called out, but she couldn’t find her, “Great…” She looked around trying to find her way back, but it was useless. Sooyeon knew she was lost in a strange country that she knew nothing about. Walking around, Sooyeon started to feel more afraid than before. These fire nation people didn’t look as friendly as people in her water tribe making her feel even more scared and on top of that, there was a fire starting in the building next to her. Fire? “Fire!”

Sooyeon quickly saw a pale of water and used her bending skills to blast it over the fire and put it out.

“Goodness…” Sooyeon said as she sat down calming herself down before a voice frightened her back into a fighting stance.

“Hey! What the hell!”

Sooyeon watched as a woman in a red jacket emerged from the doused blaze, “Who are you!”

The woman’s eyes burned yellow as she shook off the water, “You got me all wet. How dare you!”

“What? There was a fire! I put it out.” Sooyeon defended.

“That fire was me!”

Sooyeon started to laugh, “I thought the building was on fire.”

“Silly woman. That was fire bending. I was concentrating my bending skills. Why would I set a building on fire?”

“I don’t know. I have never seen fire bending before.”

The woman stood tall and took off her jacket shaking the water off, “What business do you have in this village water tribe?”

“How did you know I was from a water tribe?”

“Besides the fact you bend water, your clothes are strange. No one here wears the color blue. Red show strength and our fierce heart while you wear blue…it is a color for the weak.” The woman proclaimed with her chest out, proud of her nation.

Sooyeon huffed, “Blue is not weak and neither are we.” Holding up her hands, she beckoned water over and quickly turned it to ice, “water is not only calming and fluid.”

The fire woman raised her brow, “Impressive. However, fire can still melt that ice.” With the snap of her fingers, the fire woman held the fire in her hands. Sooyeon laughed and quickly bent water over the fire causing it to go out. “Yah! Why did you do that!”

“If your fire was so strong, why did my weak water put it out.” Sooyeon laughed at the irritated fire bender, but before the fire bender could start a new blaze, a tall young man jumped between them.

“Stop!”

Sooyeon stood back shocked, “Minho…”

“Back away fire bender!” The man said in his fighting pose.

The woman in red laughed, “I see you have a protector with you.”

“Minho! Stand down.”

Minho didn’t budge, “I will not. My orders are to protect you.”

The fire bender threw her coat over her shoulders, “No need to be so defensive. I was leaving.” Turning her attention to Sooyeon, “Water bender, I am sure we will meet again.”

Sooyeon watched as the fire bender left into the crowd before Minho stood in front of her, “Princess are you okay? Fire benders are known to start fights.”

“I was fine. It was a friendly battle.”

Minho shook his head, “Still you are not to be out this late at night. We need to go back to the hotel.”

“Fine…but we need to find Yuri first.”

“Do not worry miss. Yuri was the one who told me to find you. I won’t tell your father that you disobeyed his order to stay at the hotel, but next time you need to tell me if you are leaving. I can stay hidden if you would like.”

Sooyeon looked over to her right seeing the confidant young soldier. Even when they were school mates, he was always a good pupil and nice to her, “I will.”

“Thank you. Now let’s get you back.”

Sooyeon followed but stopped for a second to look back, hoping to see the fire bender one more time. There was something about those yellow eyes that fascinated her.