| Nine |

Let's Play Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ryujin couldn’t fall asleep that night. She knew Yuna had cried after their talk and part of her was worried that she ruined everything. To be fair, she didn’t know Yuna wanted to talk to her and still had no clue what she wanted to talk to her about.

However, she needed to push through with her plan. For the past few days, she promised that she would be the first one to back away. It wasn’t a matter of pride, but more of a catalyst. She was certain Yuna felt something for her and ‘breaking up’ with her would trigger that feeling into a stronger one.

1:34 AM.

Ugh, it’s late. I have school tomorrow.

The hazy girl got off her bed and stood in front of her window to stare at the dark road with the lamp's golden light illuminating it. It was a habit she always did whenever she couldn’t sleep. She’s done it since she was nine, around the time she met Yuna.

Ironically, this habit is also how the two got closer. The first time Ryujin couldn’t fall asleep at their new apartment, she sat on her window sill, and across the street, Yuna was doing the same. She had a flashlight below her chin and tried to scare the older girl, but failed. Since then, they would do dumb stuff during the night with no one knowing.

In the present, even as Ryujin feels that Yuna is beyond her reach, the two are somehow connected again through the windows.

As Yuna became aware of Ryujin staring at her from the other side, she flinched a little, but managed to smile and wave, receiving a wave back.

“Go to sleep,” She mouthed.

Ryujin didn’t know why but she felt embarrassed. She was caught awake and there was no other reason except for the kiss from earlier. But Yuna’s awake too… is she affected as much as I am?

Seeing her bright smile, Ryujin concluded not.

“Why aren’t you?” Ryujin mouthed back.

Yuna raised an eyebrow out of confusion, but it went back down as she translated it in her mind. She shrugged without a word even though she knew the reason.

“Goodnight, Yuna.” Ryujin mouthed, wanting to leave. Yuna nodded with a smile but stayed still in her spot. The older of the two never liked leaving first, even back then. But she always did. Somehow after seeing Yuna’s face was like an instant sleeping pill. She wanted to be the same for the younger girl.

Ryujin went to her bed and closed her eyes.

\\\///

The next day of class was torture. Yuna overslept and when she stepped outside, Ryujin’s bike was already gone. She pouted, “I guess I do need a ride, dad.”

The ride to school felt long and unfamiliar. She missed Ryujin’s back and the way her arms felt so secure around her waist. She missed the cold breeze that always seemed to wake her up at 8 AM. Or maybe what woke her up was Ryujin’s silly laugh.

“I saw Ryujin dropped you off last night.”

Yuna choked on air and looked outside the window, trying to hide her blushing cheek as she remembered how they kissed for a few seconds on their porch. Dumb move, she cursed herself.

“O-Oh.”

“Why don’t you invite her for dinner this weekend? You didn’t even let her in.”

The flustered girl had so many questions and wondered if her dad saw them kiss or not, but his sudden invitation made her conclude that he most likely did not.

“Sure, I’ll ask.” She managed to answer.

“Hun, I just want you to know I support you no matter what. Just be careful and don’t let any girl, or boy, break your heart okay?”

Yuna thought her cheeks had finally cooled down, but the heat returned. She gulped and nodded silently, “So… you saw.”

He shrugged, his eyes never leaving the road, “I kinda knew since you were in middle school. The way you two treated each other reminded me of how your mom and I were as childhood friends.”

I feel so dumb, everyone knew but me.

Yuna bit her lip, hesitating the ask the question on her tongue, “Was it hard to transition from friendship to a couple?”

Mr. Shin shook his head with a small smile, “For us, no. It’s almost like nothing changed because that’s what love is supposed to be - romantic or not. Being comfortable like best friends and most importantly, knowing that you can be yourself with this person.”

It’s always been her.

He put the shift in park gear and grinned at his daughter, “Be a good girl. Don’t be kissing her too much or she might get sick of it.”

“Truthfully, dad… we broke up last night.” Yuna sighed, her head hung low.

“What? Already? I just found out last night…” He laughed at the absurdity of their situation.

Yuna forced a smile, “But we’re on good terms.”

“Are you okay if we still invite her over?”

She paused and wondered if avoiding her would make a difference. She internally shook her head, No. I can do this, I have to. She’s my friend and that should never change.

“Yeah, maybe just don’t tell mom. She might make things awkward during dinner, you know how she is…”

“Noted. Anyway, keep your chin up. As long as you’re both on good terms… that’s what matters.”

 

 

 

Yuna didn’t know why it hurt so much. She knew she liked Ryujin, now. She was pretty certain the moment their lips touched and has been on the Train of Denial for a while now. This night was particularly difficult to overcome. It’s the third night since they “broke up” and frankly, she thought she would get over it soon. After all, the feelings were only there because of their pretend relationship right?

Wrong.

Her heart still skipped a beat whenever Ryujin appeared in her line of vision. The said girl stood at the gate and visibly waited even though she left their neighborhood early. If anything, her feelings grew stronger. She even noticed that Ryujin cut her hair into a medium bob. She looked beautiful, but Yuna would hold back on saying that. She approached the girl and had her arms lying limp to her sides, tense. 

“Uh, Ryujin, are you free Saturday?”

The asked girl smirked playfully, "For the tenth time, I’m not going on a date with you-”

“You little— I-I’m not asking you o-out!” Yuna wanted to facepalm because of how she stuttered beyond her control. Thank god Ryujin ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter