| Seven |

Let's Play Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Chaeryeong this, Chaeryeong that, why can't you live for yourself for once?"

 

"Why are you making me sound so desperate? I didn't just do it for her, obviously, I did it because floorball is my passion- it's everything to me—"

 

You're everything to me, Yuna.

 

Perhaps asking why Yuna had to go through with the game wasn't the best move. Ryujin did it anyway because her heart was hurting for the younger girl and she wanted her to end this infatuation.

 

"God, you're so frustrating." Ryujin finally couldn't take it any longer and headed out of the room, leaving Yuna teary-eyed on her bed.

 

Yuna looked out the window with her arms crossed, feeling attacked. What was so wrong with having a crush? What was so wrong with wanting to make her proud and happy? Ryujin wouldn't know. After all, I don't even know if she's ever had a crush, Yuna thought to herself.

 

As Ryujin was about to exit through the door, she bumped into a familiar body.

 

"Ow, oh, hey Ryujin."

 

Upon looking at the owner's face, her eyes turned cold and she just pushed past her, not wanting to talk to the reason she and Yuna fought in the first place.

 

Chaeryeong's eyes widened as she saw her teammate sobbing to herself. She frowned, "Yuna... what's wrong?"

 

The latter shook her head and continued to cry in silence, her eyes never leaving the window to her right.

 

For some reason, Chaeryeong couldn't think of a better move than to chase after the reason Yuna was crying her eyes out. She retraced her steps and went downstairs to leave the building. Fortunately, Ryujin was still there just about to leave on her bike.

 

"You're leaving like that after making her cry?"

 

The latter froze and brought her leg down from the opposite pedal.

 

"Why do you care? It's none of your business."

 

"It has everything to do with me. I caused her to be in that spot, I'm her coach and the fact that you made a girl from my team cry because she merely followed her coach's instructions makes me-"

 

"Well, I'm glad you know. It was your fault. I have every right to be upset because my best friend is too nice and that's why I couldn't stay by her side anymore. She's hurting herself because of you. I keep telling her not to, but well, she's too nice."

 

Best friend? Why do they keep referring to each other like that? Huh.

 

Chaeryeong didn't dwell on it and sighed, "I'm sorry. I don't want to be the reason you two break up, so... I came here to insist that she's not at fault. I'm sure you know that, yet you made her cry. If you needed to lash out on someone, it should've been me."

 

Ryujin's heartbeat started to slow down its pace. Her gaze softened and she understood. She wasn't feeling this way because she merely felt bad because Yuna got hurt.

 

She was jealous.

 

"Okay. I admit I was wrong. Maybe I was just... jealous." She wasn't afraid to admit it since they were a couple anyway to Chaeryeong's eyes.
 

 

Chaeryeong softly smiled as she gazed at Ryujin, Yuna's quite lucky to have her.

 

"Why?"

 

"I don't know. A part of me knows she looks up to you a lot. Even back then when we were still friends, all she talked about was you," is you, Ryujin corrected in her mind. She took a seat on the nearest bench and Chaeryeong did the same. 

 

"You have nothing to worry about. Ryujin-ssi, I've never seen her smile that way around anyone except for you in the two years I've been playing floorball with her. There's something about the way she looks at you. It speaks beyond words."

 

Ryujin bitterly smiled to herself. She wishes that could be true. Yet, for her, words speak beyond actions.

 

"I hope so, Chaeryeong. Uhh, can we speak informally? I think we deserve to since I don't usually open up like this easily to acquaintances." She shyly asked.

 

Chaeryeong nodded with a smile, "Of course, Ryujin."

 

"And I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lash out on you. It must've been my emotions on its peak again."

 

"No big deal. I think there's someone else you should apologize to as well... and someone to be honest with."

 

Well, I can't be honest about the jealous part, Ryujin thought in her head.

 

"I will. I just... need some time to think."

 

"Whenever you're ready," Chaeryeong placed a hand on top of hers.

 



 

"Hey,"

 

Yuna's eyes were red and puffy but she wasn't crying anymore. She made a cheesy grin like her usual self,

 

"Hey, coach— I mean, Chaeryeong. I'm sorry about earlier-"

 

"No, don't apologize. I spoke to Ryujin already."

 

Yuna widened her eyes, not expecting that. "O-Oh, what... did you talk about?"

 

Chaeryeong took the seat near her bed and pressed her lips together, her eyes wandering to the side.

 

"Well, I think I might've made your girlfriend jealous."

 

Huh, even in that situation Ryujin could think of that alibi? Yuna thought.

 

"Oh," Yuna didn't know what else to say. Part of her wondered why out of all the reasons she could think of she came up with that. She was slightly worried that what the girl told Chaeryeong would uncover her secret crush for the latter. That made her even more confused.

 

"Yeah. I explained to her that you love her, not me."

 

Yuna's throat felt smaller and smaller. She tensed up and nodded, looking away from her coach's piercing gaze.

 

"I'm sure she'll come here soon. She told me that she just needed time to think."

 

The younger of the two nodded and tried her hardest to hide how confused and unsettled she was.

 

"Yes, I love her. I don't know why she'd be jealous..." Yuna found herself believing every word that escaped her lips.

 

Chaeryeong shrug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter