| Six |

Let's Play Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The whole weekend flew by without a single day Ryujin crossed that street to visit the Shin neighbors. She left Yuna on read and when Monday morning came, immediately regretted doing so. She stepped outside her house. No Yuna.

 

“Guess I have to go alone today,” Ryujin mutters under her breath.

 

“Why’d you assume that?” An unwarranted voice asked her. 

 

“AHH!” The older girl nearly fell back, only for a pair of arms to catch her and a face so close to her own. She immediately backed away, adding distance between their bodies as if it was her reflex now to do so.

 

“Hey,” Yuna softly greeted, her heart about to burst from her chest from Ryujin's gaze. Somehow it always got to her, the way her unnie would stare at her without saying anything.

 

“Hey.”

 

Both of them experienced an awkward silence until Yuna decided to drag her bike around the corner by the handles. Ryujin bit back a smile, seeing the girl struggle a little.

 

“Let’s go, babe?”

 

Babe, that’s new. Ryujin thought to herself. Her heart leaped out of her chest but tried her hardest to ignore it. She nodded and once again she offered to be the driver. She put on Yuna’s helmet while the latter stared into her eyes as if she were under a spell.

 

She started pedaling and felt Yuna’s small arms circle her waist. Ba-dump.

 

“How was your weekend?”

 

“Good. I actually had to go to an unplanned practice yesterday because we have a game this afternoon.”

 

“No wonder the neighborhood was quieter than usual,” Ryujin joked with a calm voice.

 

The taller of the two pouted and slapped her shoulder. Ryujin’s skillful arms managed to survive that slap and the bike only swerved an inch or so. Her grin reached her eyes as she chuckled softly.

 

“You fool, if you do that again we’re both falling.”

 

Yuna just rolled her eyes with a smile. I don't mind falling, Ryujin.

 

I don't mind falling if it's with you, Ryujin thought in her head.

 

“You’re coming to the game… right?”

 

Ryujin jutted her lips, “We’ll see.”

 

“You’re so annoying... as usual," Yuna sighed and rested her chin on Ryujin’s shoulder, a habit she couldn’t help anymore.

 

“I know, it’s my favorite hobby… annoying you.”

 

Yuna just kept silent and closed her eyes, Somehow, it’s my favorite too. To be annoyed by you.

 

 

 

Lia observed the two and concluded everything seemed to be back to normal ⁠— for now, at least. As usual, the two were bickering and somehow managing to be lovey-dovey at the same time. She couldn't help but wish her two friends were giving each other the cold shoulder because of how gross they acted. Ugh, I hate being single. Lia thought.

 

Yuna stood up to get an extra pair of chopsticks after she split hers unevenly. As she rose from her seat, she limped her ankle. Ryujin immediately noticed and sprung up. Immediately lending her arm for support, cupped Yuna's further cheek with her free hand, slightly flustering the girl with her touch,

 

“Are you good? Why are you walking like that?”

 

The younger girl forced a smile, “Yeah, yesterday’s practice was just... a bit rigorous so I had to sit out for the last half. I’m okay now, though! Just enough rest will do⁠—”

 

“And you still have a game today? Why is Chaeryeong letting you play⁠—”

 

“Ryu, it’s fine.” Yuna caressed Ryujin’s arm and looked into her eyes with sincerity. She bit her lip as she realized they were putting on a small scene in the middle of the cafeteria. She found themselves being caught in these moments more often than usual. Moments where it felt like they were caught up in each other to know that their surroundings exist. 

 

“No, it’s not. Where is she? I can’t let you⁠—”

 

“Ryu, I said… it’s fine.” Yuna insisted, her voice quivering from impatience.

 

“No! Yuna listen to me!”

 

Yeji who had no clue what was going on, jumped from her seat at the sound of Ryujin's escalating tone. Lia held her down, unfazed by everything.

 

“Let them solve their issue. This needs to happen anyway.”

 

“You know something?” Yeji questioned, still standing. Lia filled her in as the two continued to argue.

 

“You listen! I can do it, Ryujin. Stop belittling me for once. Ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter