Chapter 6

Heaven is Betting on Us

Chaeyoung was bored. So bored. Incredibly bored. BOOOORED.

It was the 4th day in a row of assessing potential suitors and none had had a mark in the correct location, let alone the correct mark. She sat within the main hall on her throne, trying very hard not to fall asleep or slump forward. It was meaningless unless her soulmate walked through the door, but she could feel that whoever they were, they weren’t here. At least that’s what her gut told her.

The feeling sat deep in her bones, even as the next possible suitor entered the room. He was close to her age compared to the rest of day’s options. He had a strong build and seemed to have a brightness in his face.

“I am Jackson from the far northern fields of Pagiyo. I have come to meet with the princess because I have been marked.”

Dahyun spoke as though she hadn’t said been saying the same thing for hours on end “And where does your mark reside?”

He shuffled nervously “Here upon my arm” He rolled up his shirt sleeve to reveal a jagged shape imprinted upon his upper bicep. It gave the illusion of a white bolt of lightning across his arm.

Dahyun looked closely at the mark before turning back towards Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung only shook her head. Not even close.

“I’m sorry, but you have not been marked for our princess”

Jackson bowed his head politely and was escorted out the door by guards. Chaeyoung slumped sideways on the throne the moment the doors closed behind him.

Each was the same. Never correct. Even if she felt that her fated pair weren’t present, there was always the fear that someone would turn up with the right mark. Sure, she had her instincts, but the whole was steeped in magic at the end of the day

But it had yet to happen. Some took the formal rejection more personally than others. It was not uncommon for them to be dragged away by guards.

“Do you need a break your highness?”

Chaeyoung shook her head. A break meant that this would only drag on longer and longer. She just wanted it over with as soon as she could. It was just draining. And it felt pointless.

With that, Dahyun gestured to the guards to lead in the next potential candidate. He was on the shorter side, but he had a mature look to his face.

"I am Chan. I come from the forests of this kingdom.”

Nayeon continued as she always did. “Are you marked?"

He nodded and began slowly ed his shirt, revealing a stark design on the center of his chest. It was closer than most she had seen. The thick black lines were similar in each but his was less abstract in design and looked somewhat reminiscent of the spokes on a wheel.

Chaeyoung shook her head. No matter how similarly formed, the mark was still not the right one.

“I’m sorry, but you have not been marked for our princess”

He buttoned his shirt back up with a brief nod.

The man turned to walk away before pausing. He turned back, his gaze now meeting Chaeyoung’s.

“If I may ask your royal highness, by what power were you marked?”

Chaeyoung straightened in her chair “I was marked by the magics of fate so that I may find the one I am destined for.”

“Allow me to rephrase my question.” The man’s voice began to sound distorted, like there was another voice speaking through this throat at the same time. A curling black fog began to escape his mouth and from within his clothing. His gaze which had previously been lowered glowed a sinister yellow. “What magic-touched cast a spell for you? It is forbidden your highness; you must know that.”

Dahyun immediately stepped between him and Chaeyoung “Guards!”

The guards rushed forward, grabbing tightly to the man’s arms.

The man’s gaze never strayed “Turn the mage in and you will face no harm. Your queen will know how to contact me.”

As he was dragged away, his body slumped to the ground with the last of the smoke puffing out like dust as he hit the floor. The guards dragged the body for a moment before stopping in horror. All eyes in the room watched as his form began to dissolve into a dark sand, slipping even through the hands of the guards that held him.

Soon all that remained was a pile on the floor.

It was frozen moment in time as all occupants of the room stared at the sand. A man had just… turned into sand.

Once they hand processed what happened, guards that stood by the throne jumped forwards to step between Chaeyoung and what remained of the man. Her eyes did not leave the pile until she was dragged into a back room.

It took a moment before she could process what happened.

She took a deep breath. “No more of that today please”

Dahyun nodded before speaking to the guard captain “Clear us out for the day and keep the princess protected. I must inform the queen.”

Chaeyoung opened in protest before closing it slowly. She could protect herself from a pile of sand, but when it came to magic... she just didn’t know what happened.


The queen was an intimidating presence on a good day, but she looked positively icy as she strode into the room.

“What. Happened?”

Dahyun walked forward and whisper into her ear. Her face remained still as the situation was explained to her.

Queen Jihyo looked at Chaeyoung, her face unreadable. “He threatened you?”

The princess looked at the floor “He said to turn in the one who cast this spell, or I would be harmed.”

The queen nodded; eyes raised to the ceiling in order to think.

“You will stay inside the palace until this is resolved. We will increase guards at entrances and outside your quarters. The guards will be examining anyone entering the palace much more closely."

Chaeyoung gripped tightly on her skirts. Showing emotion in front of her mother always had to be restrained but this whole situation was just so frustrating. But being punished would be far worse. “So we’re going to do nothing?”

“This is not nothing. The magic touched who cast the spell will be sent for and protected. It is obvious if her identity gets out that she will be in danger for acts in assistance of the crown.”

“Why is it so dangerous that magic be cast on me? Why would I be threatened over a soulmate spell?”

The queen rolled her eyes “A powerful witch claimed she would bring ruin to any of the magic-touched who used their powers on behalf the royal family.”

Chaeyoung was shocked “You knew about this and still hired this witch to help?”

She waved a hand dismissively “It was done as a move of spite against me. I have no fear of what she could do, and you have no need to either.” She turned to the attending handmaids. “Send for the witch and have the guest quarters prepared for her arrival. Have the traveling party meet with me before leaving.”

Dahyun stepped forward and began escorting Chaeyoung away. Cheayoung's hands turned into fists in her skirts. This had been a threat against all of them and her mother was treating it like was little more than an annoying request.

It was when she reached her own quarters when Chaeyoung realized. No, it wasn’t a threat against all of them. It was a threat against Yerim. Yerim, the enigmatic woman who had somehow tilted Chaeyoung’s way of thinking. What was so important about Yerim that Chaeyoung got so angry? What was it about this one woman that got a princess angry on her behalf?

Chaeyoung would just have to find out.