Chapter 2

Heaven is Betting on Us

Yeri checked her notes one more time. After a month of careful preparation, the potion base was almost complete.All that was still needed was for it to be boiled overnight with the taglock. The prep for the spell itself was also done, the salve ready in a jar and the small paintbrush sat beside it. All that remained was the Princess.

And soon enough, arrive she did. A single knock and Yeri was up and ready at the door. A similar entourage from the last time was present, this time escorting the princess. She was older than Yeri had expected and dressed much more casually. Her hair was short and dark, and her dress was a simple knee-length thing with torn edges. Her face was defiant and bored. And yet Yeri couldn’t take her eyes off of her.

 

Chaeyoung was annoyed. Not only was her mother trying to marry her off, but she was sending her to some old hag in the forest to find her ideal match. Like someone could find that by looking in a crystal ball. And even still, if it worked her mother would probably not like the answer. Because Chaeyoung knew that she wasn’t going to be interested in any of the suitors her mom chose, as she was much more inclined towards women.

They approached the cottage, looking very much like a stereotypical witch’s hut with a cauldron on the porch and a broom propped up next to the door. The flower garden looked well cared for though and the ivy covered walls had its charm.

As soon as Dahyun went to knock, the door immediately swung open revealing a young woman about the same age as Chaeyoung. Her mind immediately went blank. The woman was dressed in a scandalously short black dress and had soft hair in an unnatural pink color. And she was gorgeous. Everything about her seemed natural and soft despite the very obvious evidence to the contrary.

“Welcome, shall we come inside?” The witch spoke and Chaeyoung could swear it was one of the sweetest voices she’d ever heard. She took the lead towards the small building, Dahyun falling in behind her with Jeongyeon staying behind with the horses.

The cottage itself was cozy and somewhat spacious for the size. Jars full of powders and flowers lined one of the walls, the others displaying strange artifacts and objects.

Chaeyoung shook her head. It was time to do her job. “I am the Princess Chaeyoung. I am here for the spell my mother has commissioned of you.”

The witch smiled and bowed lightly “And I am Yerim of the Woods. Your spell is almost completely prepared, I just need a taglock to be steeped in a brew overnight and we will be fully prepared to perform the spell.”

“A taglock?”

“Something binding the spell specifically to you. Your hair, your blood, your urine… anything like that. I could even use a piece of clothing, but for something this important I think it would be best to use something stronger. I believe blood would be the most powerful for a spell like this but it is up to you.”

Chaeyoung nodded and reached for the knife laying on the table before them. “Where would you like this blood?”

Dahyun immediately began moving towards her, trying to stop the princess from holding the weapon. But the blade was already in her hand, so pulling it away would have been worse.

Yerim smiled and took a jar off the shelves on the wall. As she opened it, a warm floral scent began to fill the room.“In the jar here, you don’t need to use very much. A few drops would suffice.”

Chaeyoung held the dagger to her hand, carefully digging the point into her palm. Yerim leaned over and watched closely as Chaeyong dripped blood off her finger into the blend inside the jar. The pale herb-filled liquid inside glowed gold for a moment before returning back to its original color. Her eyes widened. Had that really changed colors? She thought this whole thing was just her mother being a superstitious fool. Magic was still believed in but seeing it actually happen was something different.

“All that remains now is for this to be heated for a few hours overnight. Would you like to camp with your entourage outside or here? You are a princess after all, I can’t imagine you are often camping outside.”

Dahyun began to speak up “I think the princess should-“

“I would like to remain here for the evening, if that is permissible.” She didn’t comment on how often she ended up sleeping in places she shouldn’t as a result of sneaking out. And of course making the decision before it could be made for her.

“Of course!” Yerim lit up with a smile. "I will begin preparing dinner. I may not have space for all of your escorts in here but I will be able to feed all of them.”

“I will let Jeongyeon and Tzuyu know.” Dahyun stepped out the door to speak with the knights outside.

Now was her chance. 

Chaeyoung grabbed tightly to the arm of the witch “Do not perform the spell. My mother is trying to marry me off against my will and I won’t do it. I despise all of the suitors she chooses, she just wants to be rid of me.”

Yerim startled from the grasp but slowly turned as she spoke. “I cannot act against the will of the queen, especially so drastically. And if she is paying me, I must carry it through. But I think you might be surprised by the results in the end. It simply promises you an equal partner for a soulmate. It would never give you someone you hate.”

Chaeyoung’s fingers slowly relaxed, releasing Yerim. She trusted the witch but wasn’t quite sure why. She had no real reason to after all. She was just another passing presence her mother had paid for. But Yerim just seemed…. honest. She wasn’t the spinster fraud that she had been expecting, but a young woman of warmth despite her business. Maybe she did a spell that made her seem so trustworthy. Yes, that made the most sense.

Yerim backed away and turned towards her cupboards, pulling down foods and herbs in jars. Chaeyoung watched as she poured together the items into a pot already situated over a fire. After some muttering and stirring, the scent of a stew began to rise out. 

Dahyun soon reentered the cottage, Tzuyu and Jeongyeon entering behind her. Chaeyoung stood silently with her head held high as she waited for the food, like the last thing she spoke hadn’t been begging for this woman not to perform her witchcraft. What had come over her? She felt ridiculous even thinking about it. This woman was being paid a very large sum of gold to boil plants in a cauldron under the moonlight. There was no way she was ever going to stop this ritual, no matter if it was authentic or not. And for a princess to beg? Embarrassing.

Food was served as Chaeyoung held her silence. Dahyun made the polite small talk that she had been trained in as a lady of the royal court, and Yerim seemed to have the correct polite responses to every question. She either had interacted with members of court before or had been trained in it. Or she was just that intuitive.

Chaeyoung ate the stew she had been served disinterestedly, the rest of the table following her lead with few words. Yerim and Jeongyeon both silently sipped at their stew, Tzuyu leaving halfway through to check on the horses and give them dinner as well. Yet somehow it wasn’t an awkward silence. It felt Yerim could almost see through Chaeyoung and into her mind, smiling and nodding to unspoken statements. 

Another magic. To be broken through like every other restriction placed. Chaeyoung would understand this witch and all her magics.