Page 9

Directory of Lost Souls | TeukChul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today's weather is so much better than yesterday's. Fall has finally kicks in full blast that wearing a dri-fit shirt while jogging is now impossible. I double my speed and push myself to finish one lap in the oval, my toes touching the ground like feather. My heart's pumping hard as I try to chase for my breath. I slow down and continued walking to keep the momentum and refrain from collapsing.

"Hah!" I shout out loud to release some steam off my body.

"It's good to keep your body healthy, right?" A lady maybe in her 60's or something catches up with my brisk walk. I almost ran again when she suddenly speaks beside me. Normally, I would've worn my earphones when I go out for a run but it suddenly stopped working few minutes after I was out.

I smile, still trying to catch my breath while nodding my head. "Yes," I replied.

She beams and continue to wall like she's in a walking marathon, her arms in 90 degrees swinging on both sides.

"Your body looks good because you keep exercising. And your skin also looks good."

"Oh, I try hard to be consistent, Maam."

She nods her head while looking straight. "Just trying is enough."

"Thank you, I'll stop here now…" I breathlessly say.

"Take care when you go home," she says reassuringly as if we've known each other for awhile now.

I zip my windbreaker up to the top and pull the hoodie over my head before I begin stretching. I make sure to always cool down to lessen the physical pain of exercising's aftermath.

I stop for a bit to check on the message that came in through my smart watch. 

"6pm. Steak night. Wolfgang. It's on me."

I snort after reading the message. Shindong really has his own ways of making up for his missed steak nights. Among the three of us, before Sora joined the trio, only him was able to dine in Wolfgang because of one of his clients. He kept saying how the menu was ridiculously priced. I remember how we nagged him so much about it that he bursted that he'll take us there.

I have exactly thirty minutes to get ready but I'm still outside which will take me roughly ten minutes to go home.

"Will they go crazy if I arrive late?" I ask myself and jogged my way home while my cheeks hurt from smiling too much.

"Wow," Sora exclaims as soon as she sees me walk through the door. Clinking glasses and dinnerware bathes my ears and the smell of the infamous steak sends my stomach grumbling. The three of them are sitting in our usual spot, just right across the entrance. 

"Any reservations, sir?" I look at the man wearing a white polo, perfectly ironed out for tonight's guests. I haven't seen his face before to which I assumed he's new. I nodded my head and gave him Shin's name for reservation.

"Jungsoo," a familiar voice from behind says. I turn around to see Yunho approaching with his hair carefully made to sweep the ladies off of their feet. 

"Ah, good evening, sir." The man greets his boss.

"Yunho." I remark.

We shake hands as he dismissed his staff. 

"He's the new guy." He puts his arms over his chest and smiles at me as if apologizing that I was abruptly held. It was fine with me, though. We've been going around town trying out new restaurants and whenever we become regulars, we don't take it to heart that some staff wouldn't really remember us. 

I remember Sora who was then rushing to arrive to beat us, walked inside Le Petit Soufflè and was held by the guard. She was asked if she had reservations and she said no because she didn't remember booking for the restaurant. While her mind was all over the place, for awhile she forgot that we were all meeting together. We had to go fetch her on the lobby and the staff kept apologizing. 

I smile at Yunho and my hand involuntarily clutches my bag. He's been a really good guy to us. He kept sending us desserts on our table that other diners had to ask because the desert tier wasn't on the menu. 

"Oh, it's fine," I say. "The guy's just doing his job." 

He pats my shoulder lightly and gestures for me to follow him as he leads me to where my friends are sitting. 

"It's been awhile since you guys came here. You found any good place around town?"

"No… we've actually been dining in my house these days. We're getting busier."

We reach our table and I take my seat beside Sora. Everyone smiles at him. Donghae stands to shake hands while Shindong proceeds to nag Yunho about the free dessert for the night. He laughs and reassures him that, of course, there will be one. 

"I'll look forward to it," Sora answers with much excitement.

"Ah, I hope it has ice cream…" I playfully hinted.

Yunho scoffs. "I don't think so… there's anew pastry chef taking over the kitchen. Tell me what you guys think. I'll ask them to serve you the new pastries."

"Ooooh, it's always a good decision to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter