Chapter 6

Abditory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[1]

July 14th, 1978
Mongolia

It was a fine day under the summer sun. Junmyeon could feel the warmth of the brilliant rays on his face. Pulling out a handkerchief from his trouser pocket, he patted the beads of sweat that had started trickling down the base of his slim neck.

Scanning the crowd full of joyous and thrilled individuals seated around the manège, Junmyeon waited for a very anticipated horse race to commence. Heaving a prolonged sigh, he slumped further into his seat.

Mongolia, a land of vast and unspoiled wilderness known as the 'end of the earth...' Out of all places in the entire world, this was the last place he imagined himself to be.

"Ahn Ilsung's only daughter is a rare gem." Junmyeon heard his mother whisper, a sense of eagerness springing from her voice. "A perfect match for Junseok, don't you-"

"-Mother, I don't want to have this conversation with you." Junmyeon interrupted.

"Why?" Eunyeong's lips formed a frown seeing her son's leg begin to bounce with irritation upon the mention of his brother.

"Let me rephrase that." Junmyeon sighed yet again before proceeding. "I don't want to have this conversation right now. Father is sitting right beside us. There's a 99.9% possibility of him overhearing, and mother, we both know, that will not end very well."

"Your beloved father seems to be distracted," Eunyeong said as a matter of factly, patting away the creases in her skirt.

Junmyeon turned to an empty seat on his right side. In the far distance, his father stood close to the fence to view the race track better. He happened to be in the company of Ahn Ilsung and a few other snobbish cooperate men.

Although his mother had a fair point, his heart couldn't seem to agree. Ever since his older brother decided to abandon his duties and run away, he couldn't help but feel a sense of bitterness. Junseok leaving him behind to rot here while he chased his dreams and lived a life of freedom. How selfish of him.

So, as usual, Junmyeon attempted to divert the conversation to avoid what he hated talking about the most. Kim Junseok.

"The mention of Junseok's name sends father's blood pressure into a state of frenzy," Junmyeon mumbled, shaking his head in disapproval. Even saying his older brother's name out loud sounded like a curse word. Eunyeong watched her son's face twitch in agitation. "Are you forgetting how much we suffered all because he-" shutting his eyes, Junmyeon stopped talking, as a vivid memory of his rough time spent at the military academy flashed before his very eyes.

Eunyeong's hand clenched the armrest, eyes piercing through her son as she looked down at his figure. "You and your father may have disowned him-"

"Face the reality, mother." Junmyeon nonchalantly grabbed hold of the binoculars in his lap, overcoming his unsettled mood. "It's useless talking about a person who isn't ever coming back." Looking through the magnifiers, he spoke in a low voice. "It isn't worth wasting your breath on him. "

As all the competitors appeared on the track, a dozen horses aligned on the starting line. Junmyeon's eyes hovered amongst them all in scrutiny. A bloke in his mid-thirties, a large limbed woman, until his gaze stopped, spotting a girl with a beautiful face, he was far too familiar with.

Sanghee sat on a brown horse, her fists tightening around the mammal's reigns, holding a focused expression. She stared straight ahead, giving the one who was burning holes into her helmet no attention.

Junmyeon scoffed, his tone laced with pride. God, how he secretly wished for her to lose today's race. He prayed for a storm, absolutely anything that would put an end to attending these kinds of events.

Once the starter was satisfied that all the horses were in place and ready to start the race. Pressing a button, he cut an electric current, simultaneously opening the front stall doors. A loud bell rang, sending a signal to the totalizator system that the race has begun and no more bets should be accepted.

On instinct, Junmyeon shot up from his seat. His fingers glued around the binoculars, coming to witness several horses galloping in motion towards the finish line.

"Look at the girl with pretty brown hair! She's flying by!" Shouted a child, pointing at the horse rider striding ahead from the rest.

Junmyeon reacted fast, eyes landing straight on Sanghee's fastly moving figure. Her body hunched forward, arms rising and falling as she maneuvered the horse closer and closer to the finishing line.

At that moment, the entire audience braced themselves, the winner becoming crystal clear as the seconds went by.

"Come on, come on!" Junmyeon muttered, a sense of faith washing over his insides before his face paled, heartbeat faltering.

In a split second, Sanghee felt her hands jitter, losing control of the horse completely. Sudden gasps and screams spread across the atmosphere as her body hit the graveled surface. The moment between balance and impact was one that would torture her for weeks to come - reliving that precious second before her collar bone snapped in tore right through her skin. The sharp pain had instantly her out, body laying on the cold grounds, unmoving.

Junmyeon felt his heart drop to the depths of his stomach, body trembling in a state of shock - processing what had just happened.

The race came to a sudden halt, emergency sirens blasting around the scene. All the competitors came to a standstill as they passed the finishing line one after the other. Several professionals bolted towards the location of the accident as the audience chattered amongst themselves in worry.

"No, no, no, no, no." Junmyeon chanted helplessly. Throwing his binoculars, he sped down the stairs and onto the track field.

Eunyeong cried after her son, commanding him to stay put. Except, Junmyeon couldn't hear anything apart from his heartbeat ringing through his ears like madness. At that moment, all he could think about was reaching Sanghee's side before anyone else.

"Sanghee! Ahn Sanghee!" Junmyeon panted in despair. Knees grazing the ground, he held her limp hand in his.

And that was the first and last time Junmyeon wished God had never answered his foolish and ignorant prayer.

[2]

Noticing his little sister wandering by in cheerful glory, Sehun pulled her by the arm until they settled in an obscure corner.

Although his grip was reasonably loose, Soyeon winced dramatically. Her older brother was quick to hush her, and she pouted in response. Slowly letting go of her forearm, Sehun cautiously peered around the area.

What is it?" Soyeon whispered, staring up at her brother's built frame in agitation.

"Where did Jongin leave to?"

"How am I supposed to know!" Soyeon responded, looking at him as if he were the stupidest person on this planet to ask such a question. Especially since out of all people, he should know the answer. "Weren't you the one who told him to leave?" She reminded him, gesturing towards the cottage door.

"I did, but-" Sehun inhaled sharply. "."
Frustrated by the thought of not knowing where his friend had disappeared, he closed his eyes and held the bridge of his nose.

The bright color of Soyeon's cheeks paled. "Is there.. is there something I don't know?"

She asked, hesitating.

", , , !" Sehun spun around all of a sudden, his palm slamming the wall.

Soyeon's breath hitched in . Her brother's sudden change of behavior sent chills down her spine. Although it was a side of Sehun she often saw because of his short temper, it was always the reasoning behind what angered him that was scary. What could it be?

Composing himself, Sehun looked over his shoulder with a sigh escaping his lips. "Major Kim Junmyeon." That is all he had to say.

Did Soyeon hear that correctly? Major Kim Junmyeon? Feeling her cheeks heat up like a stove put on fire just by the mention of his name, she almost gasped. Looking away, embarrassed that Sehun might notice her nervousness, she bit down on her lip.

"What about him?" Soyeon mumbled.

Sehun turned to face his sister again. Pushing his jet black hair away from his forehead, he showed a blue vein that looked ready to explode.

"That son of a decided to make an appearance without giving a heads up." He shook his head. "God! Right now, I'm praying Jongin pissed off somewhere far. If he sees him, let's say we're ed."

Soyeon's brain didn't process anything but the first part and almost choked on her spit. "He's here?!"

[3]

With Sanghee's head resting in his lap, Junmyeon rhythmically caressed her hair as the girl lay soundlessly asleep. The second he spontaneously appeared by her side, she desperately clung to him for dear life. Never had he seen her look so relieved by his presence. So relieved that she helplessly fell into his arms and cried herself to sleep.

His initial plan was to apologize to his fiancé and own up to his childish mistakes - taking his best friend's friendly advice. Instead, he found himself comforting a traumatized Sanghee who refused to disclose the trigger.

The last time Junmyeon witnessed Sanghee experience a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter