(New!!!) Chapter 8

Abditory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[1]

 

Dressed in a formal black suit in contrast to his murky green military uniform, Junmyeon stared at the portrait with a stoic expression. It was beyond repulsive how this youthful woman in the photograph, who had a bright future ahead of herself, was murdered in cold blood by a group of wicked, heinous monsters in the name of revenge. 
 

Apologetically greeting the heavy-hearted family members who now carried a wound inside of their chests that would never heal, Junmyeon and Baekhyun followed with a respectful bow, kneeling on the ground. 

 

As they got up, the pair were guided to the next room by a relative. "Don't leave without eating, gentlemen." Said the old lady, motioning towards a table that was already set up with bowls of miso soup, rice, grilled fish and different kinds of side dishes.

 

Junmyeon turned to the soul who was probably his grandmother's age. "We appreciate your hospitality but–" Baekhyun laughed nervously, stepping before him. "What my friend means is that we'll enjoy this meal." He finished.

 

Junmyeon sighed. Yes, it would have been rude of him to leave without eating, but he couldn't stop feeling suffocated since the moment he stepped into this building. He desperately needed a cigarette break and that's all his brain could think about right now. 
 

Although he had sworn on his mother's life that he would never dare upon getting addicted to nicotine, it was the only thing keeping him somewhat sane amidst all this chaos. 
 

The next few moments were spent in silence. Baekhyun chewed the last of his meal whilst watching his miserable senior play around with a spoon.

 

"Well," Baekhyun exhaled. He reached over to grab the water jug and filled the two empty glasses on their table. "Aren't you going to eat?"

 

Junmyeon rubbed his temples. "I'm not hungry." 

 

"Instead of taking your anger out on the food, why don't you talk about what's bothering you," Baekhyun suggested whilst wiping his mouth clean with a handkerchief. "We can think of a solution, together."

 

Solution? Junmyeon scoffed. A close friend of his fiancé was targeted and killed by the mafia. Anyone could be next, including Sanghee. 

 

"Relax..." Baekhyun muttered, lifting the glass to his lips. "Sanghee is safe, for now," he assured, taking a sip of water. "It's indeed a scare tactic. An encrypted message, call it if you will – they want us to stop capturing and questioning their men. Maybe even close down the investigation altogether." 
 

Junmyeon already knew this. He had taken the hint very strongly the day it all went down. His anger got the best of him and he found himself throwing hands at his enemy, almost beating the guy to death. The last time he got in such a fistfight was a few years ago when– never mind, he didn't want to think about it. The past should be left behind, exactly where it belongs.

 

Junmyeon sat upright, straightening his blazer. "I had initially planned to bring Sanghee back home at the end of this month." He voiced. 

 

"Today is the 23rd of July." Baekhyun reminded as a matter of factly. "What's the plan now?" 
 

"Her stay at the Oh cottage will have to be extended." 
 

"Extended?" Baekhyun sounded flabbergasted. What use would that be if the mafia discover her location? "You seriously want her to keep playing Hansel and Gretal in the countryside not knowing that her best friend was brutally murdered?" 

 

"Firstly, It's not safe here." Junmyeon reasoned, standing up. "And secondly, she's better off not knowing about Park Chae-yeong's death. Do you understand?"

 

"She deserves to know, Junmyeon."

 

"Know what exactly?!" Junmyeon yelled, frustrated. Once he noticed the many people who had stirred in their seats to glance his way, he switched his voice to a much quieter one. "That I lied to her about all the women and children being protected by the military in targeted areas? She'll be devastated." 
 

Stepping forward, he reached inside Baekhyun's jacket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. "Most of all, I can't afford to give her a reason to hate me." Junmyeon picked out a roll before placing the rectangular box into Baekhyun's pocket. "Otherwise at this rate, we'll never get married." 
 

[2] 

 

Oasis by Exo 



The fields were swaying in the breeze and the approach of the golden hour was casting everything in warm hues.

 

Jongin adjusted and tightened the saddle on his brown mare. “Are you ready?” He quizzed, looking in the opposite direction.

 

Sanghee didn’t reply to his question. Instead, a frown etched on her face as she continued tucking away the loose strands of her silky hair. With a hand resting on Romeo’s white-like snow coat, she tried shoving her foot into the stirrup.

 

Clearly not, Jongin thought stifling a laugh at her failed attempt to climb Romeo. The second she pushed herself up, he knew the ts of her floral maxi skirt would get caught in between it all somewhere.

 

“What do you say, Should I give her a hand?” Jongin asked the animal as it would magically start talking in Korean. He placed his ear close to Juliet's mouth as if he was listening to whatever she had to say and then let out a small but dramatic gasp. "Hmm, not yet you think? Okay, if you say so.."

 

Patting her back affectionately the two of them continued to watch Sanghee struggle. To say the least, it was a very amusing sight.

 

Frustrated, Sanghee tried hoisting herself up for what felt like the umpteenth time. “Is he just going to stand there and stare?” She mumbled under her breath.

 

"If you need help, you could just ask me," Jongin whispered, catching her by surprise. He placed his rough hands on Sanghee's waist, gently lifting her up as if she was a mere feather.

 

Sanghee adjusted herself on the saddle, her cheeks tinting shades of pink. How did she not notice him stroll over? It’s as if he had teleported because when she last glanced at his side a minute ago he was standing a few meters away.

 

The devilish look on Jongin’s face told her that he wasn’t finished with his games just yet. One thing that she had learnt about him in the few weeks she had been staying here is that this was only the beginning of today’s antics and they still had the whole evening ahead of themselves.

 

He closely observed Sanghee, his gaze travelling from head to toe. “I must say, it’s a pretty skirt,” He admitted. “Except, it won’t be by the end of tonight.”


Sanghee waited a beat but then all of a sudden his words hit her. “Why would you say that?!” She shrieked, her big brown eyes almost popping out of her sockets.

 

"Rule 101 of horse riding, do not wear clothes that overly restrict movement." Jongin reminded, fixing Romeo's bridle.

 

Sanghee mentally face palmed herself upon realising what he was implying. Of course, he didn't mean that they would–

 

“Get your mind out of the gutter, Miss Ahn.” Jongin teased, clicking his fingers.

 

“It was never there, to begin with,” she responded nonchalantly, arms folded across her chest. “And I only packed dresses and skirts...” It's not like she had planned to overcome her fear this summer and the only pair of jeans she had were drying on the washing line. 
 


“I’m just looking out for you,” Jongin said, sauntering backwards. 

 

"Are you doubting my abilities and performance?" 
 

"I just find it hard to believe that you won three gold medals consecutively for a sport you had to re-learn from me." He shrugged, hauling himself up on Juliet. 


Sanghee scoffed and pointed into the landscape. "I'll bet I can reach the top of the hill before you." 

 

"Pffft I thought you'd at least give me a difficult challenge." 
 

“Loser grants the winner a wish.”

 

“Now that’s a tempting offer I can’t pass,” Jongin replied. He skilfully wore his chocolate-coloured fedora hat from the first day they had (officially) met. “Let’s say I win–”

 

“That’s not going to happen.” Sanghee interrupted, sounding absolutely sure. She used the spare scrunchie on her wrist to tie her hair back. “I won’t allow it.”

 

“We’ll see.” Jongin grinned with his dimples on display. "Are you ready?"

 

The adrenaline kicked in and burned all of Sanghee’s anxious feelings away. It gave her the sense of “flight” away from whatever was causing the fear. She couldn’t believe that the day had finally arrived when the PTSD had ebbed to nothing. It made her feel so alive.

 

Sanghee closed her eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath to clear her mind and soul. "I'm ready." She nodded, her body language shifting from delicate to fierce in a matter of seconds. 

 

“Okay, On the count of three."  Jongin began the countdown and the two of them held onto their reigns in sync, all set for the race to begin. "One... Two–" and before he could even get to the final number, Sanghee had bolted away into the distance like a bullet had been fired.

 

"Three." Jongin finished. The sound of crows surrounded the area and he froze, dumbfounded by her actions. She really was ten steps ahead of him today. "Hey, that's cheating!" He yelled, following right behind and her sweet laughter faintly echoed in the atmosphere.

 

A brisk breeze sent the summer pollen to skitter along the path that Sanghee and Jongin were riding on. Juliet stopped to snort at the intrusion, while the ever-reliable Romeo continued on nonplussed. Jongin didn’t mind falling behind. This way, he only had to look up to admire the beauty of the woman he fancied. 
 

In this life, falling in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter