Chapter 3

Abditory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[1]

A blank cassette was inserted in the tape deck. Junmyeon sat in an old wooden chair, careful not to scruff his relatively new uniform on the protruding splinters.

"Should we begin with the interrogation, Mr. Lee Donghyun?" Junmyeon said indistinctly. Rewinding to the beginning, he pressed the play and record button simultaneously. "You do not have to answer my questions."

A long pause resonated in the cell before Junmyeon's gaze finally shifted over to the snarky prisoner bound to a chair.

"However, should this matter go to court and you tell the court something which you could have reasonably told me during this interview, the court may be less likely to believe you, and that could harm your defence," Junmyeon warned as he leaned forward just enough to meet the eyes of his opponent. "The tapes of this interview may be played in court, so the court will be able to hear what you have said."

Donghyun didn't say a word and instead broke out laughing in hysterics like a conceited maniac. 

With only a glass screen separating the interrogation cell and the observation room, on the opposite side, a hand curled into a tight fist, his knuckles turning the whitest shade on the colour spectrum.

"Bastard could do with a beating-"

"Officer Byun," Ilsung speedily pulled out his hand out of the pocket of his dress pants, stopping the hot-tempered young man from making any unnecessary movements. "Let Junmyeon handle this one, alone." 

"But General-"

"We are not touching any of his men," Ilsung's head shifted to the side to look down at his fellow worker. "Yet."

Baekhyun turned his back to the screen. With having the strong urge to scream, he used his hand to pull at the rough ends of his raven hair instead, having no choice but to endure all the frustration building up inside.

"Major Kim Junmyeon," Donghyun finally managed to say in between his laughing fit. "You must be undoubtedly naive to assume I'll easily surrender to scumbags like you." 

Junmyeon didn't object. He could only silently agree. Not all soldiers served the country with full integrity and uprightness. Corruption ran deep inside the agency, many being money thirsty human beings before protecting their country as they had oathed. Except, he wasn't one of them, and he would prove so.

He reached inside of his blazar, to what Doghyun assumed the man was going to threaten him with a gun until he unexpectedly pulled out a box of cigarettes and matches. Flashing the items in the air, he threw them on the table.

Hearing faint movements coming from the room next door, Baekhyun looked over his shoulder only to witness Junmyeon uncuffing the enemy. Rushing back next to the general, the two continued watching the scene unfold before their very eyes.

Junmyeon followed by placing a cigarette in Donghyuns mouth, which the latter gladly accepted. Lighting the match on fire, he lit the tube for the other, in the state of a peace offering.

Baekhyun almost couldn't believe what he was witnessing. His gaze turned so intense to the point he was practically drilling holes through his mate's skull.

"What the does Junmyeon think he's doing?!" Baekhyun seethed under his breath. "He's insane!"

Oh, how eager Baekhyun was feeling to interfere, but there was no way he could go against the state's general, Ahn Ilsung. The last thing he wanted was to be penalised for not following orders and as of now, keeping his job sounded much more appealing than losing his only source of money.

And as Ilsung saw Junmyeon take a seat once again, lighting the cigarette between his fingers and placing it in his mouth, all he could reply with was, "I've taught him well." Saying this, an expression of self-satisfaction appeared on his face.

Junmyeon took a couple of drags. He was no chain smoker, but he didn't mind the odd one during special occasions. Usually, it was Sanghee who would offer him her share when she was feeling a little spontaneous. Honestly, right now, he had the urge to smile, which was a rare desire in itself. When did she start taking over his mind, even during work hours? He hadn't realised until now. Now that she was away from him. 

"Alright," Junmyeon squashed his half-used tube against the wooden table, grabbing the prisoners full-attention. "Let's get straight to the point... You're part of the Ninkyõ Dantai?" He found himself switching between Korean and Japanese. "Or more specifically, should I say, Yamaguchi-Gumi - Japan's largest organised crime syndicate. If not, feel free to correct me."

Donghyun's expression darkened upon the mention of Ninkyõ Dantai. A correction was to be made. "I'd prefer you to say the term, Bõryokudan which translates to violent groups. After all, isn't Bõryokudan the name given to us by the police and media by request?"

[2]

"Where are you going dressed like that?"

"To the markets, why?"

Soyeon stifled a laugh upon taking notice of her brother's sudden change in appearance. Using both hands, she covered her face only, so her precious eyes were twinkling. 

"Why are you laughing?" Sehun's voice bounced off the kitchen walls, visibly irritated. "What do you find so amusing? Mind to tell." He sounded like a teacher asking his student to share what they found so hilarious with the entire class.

Suppressing her giggles, Soyeon answered, "It's just, aren't you dressed a little over for someone who's heading to the market for a few groceries?" 

Sehun looked down at himself. He wore a checkered shirt that was neatly tucked into harshly pressed trousers, along with a pair of freshly polished black shoes, the look finished with a beige coloured blazer. He wouldn't even dare to style this smartly for a wedding ceremony, not even his own.

"Is it-" Stepping forward, Sehun's voice lowered. "Obvious?" He searched Soyeon's face for an answer, a sense of innocence washing over him.

Soyeon's expression contorted. "A little." 

"By little, you mean a lot, don't you?"

At that moment, Soyeon felt the need to tilt her face to take a closer look at her one and only sibling. A soft look appeared on the surface of her profile, and Sehun wondered what she had seen in that split second.

"You look just like father..."

And there it was. Ahn Ilsung had pointed out the same factor some days ago, and all Sehun did was ignore such a comment then, just like how he planned to do right now.

Maybe it was just the blazer he had borrowed from his father's wardrobe Soyeon had gotten such a feeling. Yes, that would explain why! But the choice of clothing indeed caused her heart to swell with a little happiness and sadness. 

Clearing his throat, Sehun looked away awkwardly. "If I don't arrive by the evening, don't wait and have dinner without me."

Soyeon bit down hard on her lower lip. Was Sehun angry for the comparison she made?

Gaining the courage to face Soyeon again, his expression that had turned sullen seconds ago was now bright. Placing a hand on the younger one's head, he ruffled her hair. "Take care of our guest." 

"That we'll both do," Jongin made a heroic entrance, his arm falling over Soyeon's shoulder, which seemed joyous about his unexpected appearance. "You don't have to worry." 

Sehun clicked his tongue, wondering if he could trust Jongin, who was passing over the biggest grin in the entire world - the type he considered as being up to no good. Then again, he treated Soyeon as if she was his blood sister, and that was a vital fact he couldn't go up against.

"Okay, I'll take my leave now." Giving Jongin one last look of threat, signalling to him how serious he was about taking care of the girls, he grabbed his pair of house keys off the countertop, strutting his way out.

"Give Eunseo my greetings!" Soyeon chirped over the top of her lungs.

Sehun's legs are rooted to the ground, several curses escaping from his mouth in the lowest decibels. Didn't Soyeon say it was only a little obvious? So how on earth did she manage to-

"Eunseo?! Wait, no way..." A smile played on Jongin's face upon realisation. "Did you finally grow some balls to ask her out?" He cheered enthusiastically, clapping his hands.

"I'm leaving," Sehun replied blankly, his hand twisting the doorknob. 

"I almost assumed you had an identity crisis with your poor choice of clothing!" Jongin proceeded with his signature taunting by scanning his pal from head to toe. "Aww, is our Sehunnie on his way to impress-"

The exit way slammed shut, cutting off Jongin's words mid-sentence, and Soyeon sighed with relief. If Sehun stayed even for a second longer, she'd have to witness him putting Jongin in a headlock. 

"Rude brat..." Jongin placed his hands on his hips, lips pursing tightly.

Often Jongin would forget his position in this household, but during moments like these, he was quickly reminded of the power he held as the oldest member, which he rarely used to his advantage. According to him, age was just a number, and he lived by that statement. 

Jongin felt his stomach grumble, sounding equivalent to a whale's mating call. "Soyeon, I'm hungry!" He whined. "Are you planning to starve me this morning?"

"There's Miso soup, rice, and spicy stewed fish on the stove. It should be ready in the next half hour."

"Half hour?! That's far too long."

Soyeon lifted the lid to stir the soup, causing rich aromas to dance in the air. "Is it possible if you could do me a huge favour if you don't mind, that is?" She asked, wiping her hands on the cotton apron she wore. "Call Sanghee down for breakfast."

[3]

Jongin press

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter