Thoughtless

Loveless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pushing aside the heavy quilted blanket which had been covering his figure clad in a pair of jet black leather pants, still fastened to his waist with a dull gold buckled belt, and white dress shirt which had its buttons undone all the way up to the waistline and disrespectfully stained with port wine, the protagonist of our story sat up in his bed, a few minutes past noon. And he didn’t bother opening up his eyes for a good few minutes, since they were still stinging with sleep and alcohol of last night.

It took him another couple of minutes to remember the breakfast meeting he was supposed to have with two high ranking officials of the Royal Navy. Realization hitting him suddenly a little too hard, Junmyeon’s eyes shot open.

A youth few years younger than him, dressed in a suit identical to the palace butler (but in darkest violet), grinned at him, standing by the wall adorned in the latest imported Arabian tapestries, right opposite to the Prince’s bed.

Junmyeon didn’t hide the embarrassment of shock.

“Who are you?”

“Greetings your highness... I mean, a very good afternoon to you my prince! I’m Madam Im Yoona’s assistant Lee Taeyong at your service from this morning on.”

Without bothering to respond, the prince got off his bed, taking off his shirt in the meantime. Again, it’s a bit late when he realizes.

“Why would my assistant need another assistant?”

He halted his bare feet on the midnight blue carpet which matched the rest of the interior of his room just so perfectly. “Where’s Yoona?”

“Madam Im said she’ll not be assisting you with your personal preparations from now on, my prince.” The young man stated bluntly. “She asked me to arrange your attire for the day, which I have already prep-“”

Taeyong’s words automatically died down as the prince disappeared behind the slammed bathroom door.

* * *

Stepping out of his chamber with a Taeyong busy explaining how he was ordered by the Prince’s assistant to not to wake him up if his breath reeked of alcohol (in fact the whole room did), Junmyeon hurriedly strode along the passageway towards the staircase. Another door opened midway which was his brother’s personal library, and the said prince stepped out to join the older one. Unlike his hyung who preferred dark blue suits most of the time, Prince Jongdae was often seen in shades of forest green.

“If father questions your whereabouts from last night, tell him we were both at an army camp, cheering up the injured soldiers. I’ll be your alibi.” The younger prince said, hurrying to match the fast pace of his brother. Junmyeon looked at him, uncertainty gracing his pale face.

“Where was I?”

“You really don’t remember do you?”

Jongdae scoffed, not minding the presence of the man servant following them.

“If I hadn’t seen you right before entering the Florian Inn last night, you would have been sleeping with Jung Yunho’s fiancée in his own inn!”

Junmyeon came to an abrupt stop.

“Yeah I know what you’re going to say hyung. She’s that hotel owner’s woman but which woman would resist the Prince of the Kingdom? Why else do you think she’s been hooking up with you for a several weeks now?”

* * *

 

The older couldn’t look any grimmer when he reached the tea table where his parents sat, along with his assistant standing beside the Queen’s seat. The cotton floral blouse and ankle length pleated skirts, with matching tweed beret made Im Yoona beat all the duchesses in the palace, added to the emotionless beauty of her flawless face.

Two problems at once. Father glowering at him for missing the breakfast meeting, and Yoona looking painfully beautiful as always. Junmyeon slumped on the chair Taeyong had pulled for him, still reddened eyes never leaving the white lace tablecloth.

“Ever wondered why I keep pushing away your coronation as the crown prince?”

The King held up a hand to stop the Queen from pouring milk in his tea. The older prince remained silent, not daring to raise his gaze, as the second prince fidgeted uncomfortable in his seat.

“Because every time the senate request the appointing of a crown prince, I’m doubting whether it has to be Jongdae.”

“Father please! Not this talk again!” Jongdae interrupted, feeling truly uncomfortable. But his brother remained silent still, making their mother watch him in worry.

“Go with Jongdae to the hillside villa. There’s a charity program and Lord Ha’s daughter will be there as well.”

Junmyeon looked up, puzzled hearing the most powerful Duke of the Hillside mentioned out of nowhere.

“You know the power he holds. At least win that girl’s heart, since seducing women is your only forte.”

* * *

And there they were, the two princes getting onto a royal carriage to leave for the commanded destination.

The assistant stepped aside, letting the two royal men to get on board. Junmyeon peered out, with a quizzical look in his eyes. “Why aren’t you getting in?”

Yoona shook her head, and pointed to the procession of carriages. “I’ll get in one of them Your Highness.”

It was more than clear that she’s been avoiding him now. Yoona has always been like that, but now, she did it more straightforwardly.

“Get in here. There’s more than enough room for you.”

 

Half a mile through the journey, Yoona felt his head being placed in her shoulder. Jongdae, sitting on the seat facing them, sighed in silence as the maiden’s figure went rigid.

“Yoon,”

The older prince muttered.

“Yoon...”

She held her breath and kept staring forward.

“Im Yoona,”

“Yes... Your Highness.”

The prince sighed, finally getting a response. “My head is aching Yoon.”

“It’s because you drank too much last night, Your Highness.”

“You know I don’t get hangovers Yoon.”

“Call me by my proper name... Please, Your Highness.”

His eyes still closed, he reached for her hands which were placed on her lap. Merciless, she pushed his hand away.

“At least my head Yoon.”

“I’ll buy some painkillers if you want Your Highness.”

That silenced him finally, and he stayed quiet until he actually fell asleep leaning on her shoulder.

“Just start over, you two.” Jongdae muttered, once he confirmed the fact that his brother was deep in sleep.

“He’s still not over you noona.”

* * *

 

Trips to the hillside always drained all the energy out of the travellers.

Except for the two Princes, who spent hours training and exercising for the sake of their physical fitness, who rode horses for hours through the mountains just for fun, and who had the best military trainers of the kingdom as their mentors.

The two royalties stepped out of the carriage looking as fresh as new, unlike the rest of their .

“Whoa...when did they renovate the theatre?”

Jongdae asked, widening his eyes at the vast granite walls in front of them.

“Last summer Your Highness. Lord Ha was the main benefactor for the renovation, since he’s a big fan of art and aesthetics.” Yoona explained. “A new art gallery and two new miniature theatres are built in as well.”

“Why waste money on singing and dancing when you can feed some children dying on streets?” Junmyeon muttered. “Just the rich showing off their wealth.”

“The place is filled with Lord Ha’s men, Your Highness.” Yoona quickly added in a warning tone. “Please be cautious with your words.”

“Yes hyung. This is your last chance to get on father’s good books. Don’t ruin it for heaven’s sake.”

The older prince smirked at his brother and started walking into the theatre building. “About this Duchess, Jongdae-yah...” he stuffed his hands in the trouser pockets as he talked. “You can have her, if she’s not my type.”

“Just keep quiet hyung! Since you’re not our father’s type.”

 

 

“HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS, PRINCE JUNMYEON AND HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE JONGDAE’S ARRIVAL IS TAKING PLA....CE!!!”

Their entrance was announced, and the whole audience sitting inside the theatre stood up when the two princes entered with their , and the stout middle aged duke who was standing right there at the entrance, bow down in deep respect along with his several disciple noblemen. He quickly straightened up again, and gave Junmyeon the widest grin possible.

His golden front tooth made Jongdae almost burst out in laughter.

“Please accept my heartiest welcome, Your Royal Highness!” Lord Ha bowed once again, and Junmyeon smiled back in reply. “Greetings to you as well, Your Highness...” the third bow was to Jongdae, which he returned with a wider smile than his brother had given. “Was the journey up to the hill country a hard one?”

“Well...that goes without saying.” Junmyeon casually remarked, and it made the over bright face of the duke slightly darken. “Nevertheless, His Majesty sent us here, to accept the honour of attending this Grand Concert with you, Lord Ha.” The older prince continued, figuring out that lip service was the only way of survival among the upperclassmen. “And I heard this theatre holds the best artists of the kingdom. Glad to be here.”

“My utmost pleasure Your Highness.” The duke bowed again, to straighten up and gesture towards the front row of seats. “Shall we take a seat then?”

And the ol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter