04.

there’s no us

"Can you even play volleyball?"

 

I look over at Soobin with a scowl. "Of course I can. I'm just... rusty."

 

"See, if Soojin is rusty, it means I am too!" Yeonjun cried out.

 

Soobin sighed and shut his sport locker, the padlock clanged loudly against the metal door, making Yeonjun wince. My brother never locked his sport locker, because "why would anyone want my sweaty gym shoes and knee braces?" I bet it was just because he had forgotten the combination code for his lock.

 

"Are you and Kai taking the bus back?" Yeonjun asked me and I shook my head.

"Only Kai is. Mom is coming to pick us up on her way home from work."

 

Soobin glanced at me with a stern look. "Did mom know you were staying back to watch us practice?"

"For all she knew, I was staying back working on an assignment with Kai."

"Why you-"

"Don't tell her, Soobin, please. I'd get in trouble."

"How are you going to tell her you made the girls' volleyball varsity team, then?"

 

My blood boiled. He was supposed to help me. Why was he being so snappy today? Did he have a fight with Yeji?

 

"Can I tell aunt Hyesong I made it to the boys' varsity volleyball team too?"

"You play bench."

 

Yeonjun and I exchanged a look.

 

"Okay seriously, bro, what's up with you?"

 

We had reached the school main lobby. Soobin dropped his bags on the long beige leather sofa and sat down heavily, rubbing the bridge of his nose as he did so. Yeonjun took the single sofa to his left, leaving me to share the long sofa with my brother.

 

If I were to be honest, Soobin was kind by nature. He was patient and helpful to both his friends and strangers alike. He rarely lost his temper, but on the rare occasions that he did, you would know you messed up big time. He rarely got annoyed either. He was a terrible actor so you could tell when he was annoyed, no matter how hard he tried to conceal it. This was clearly one of those moments.

 

"Can I be honest?"

 

Yeonjun blinked a couple times.

 

"First of all, Choi Yeonjun, did you get bored of swimming? Why do you randomly want to join the volleyball team?"

 

Yeonjun's lips formed a pout. There it was again. I knew that pout. It was his special pout. The one he wore when he was up to something, but I doubt Soobin picked that up.

"I already told you, man. I always wanted to play a team sport. You know how lonely swimming can get." Yeonjun leant forwards with his chin nestled in the palms of his hands. "Plus, we'd get to spend more time together this year, no?"

 

Soobin didn't look convinced, but he turned to me.

"Alright then, what about you?"

 

"I want to be a good team player and proudly represent the girls of Myeongun High." I confidently repeated the line that got me into the team. I hadn't quite come up with a more convincing reason yet. I couldn't tell them that I joined so that I could get closer to Jisu like Yuna was. I couldn't tell them that I joined so I could set Yeonjun up with Jisu.

 

"They bought that?"

Soobin was cringing. I didn't blame him. I sounded like a caption on some teen magazine.

 

"Mhm."

 

Soobin ran a hand through his tousled hair. "Okay but did you really have to mention our relationship? You know you're putting my reputation on the line."

 

"Don't worry, bro." Yeonjun cut in, his eyes were small upturrned crescents. "Soojin used to swim, didn't she? Don't ever underestimate the power of a swimmer."

 

My brother looked like he didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I knew he was worried about Yeonjun and I potentially letting the teams down. It was true, neither Yeonjun and I were any good at volleyball. Soobin was always the more sporty one between the two of us, but I wasn't that bad, was I?

 

In Soobin's eyes, I was.

 

Yeonjun ended up coming over for dinner again. As annoying as he was when he could get away with just about everything, nothing could beat the fact that he was essentially my mother's favourite child. He gobbled up everything in his plate and helped mom and I with the dishes while Soobin made a beeline to dad's massage chair.

 

When mom left the kitchen for a phone call, Yeonjun nudged my hip with his. I looked at him weird, but he had that mask of indifference on. The one where I could never tell what he was thinking of.

 

"You're up to something, aren't you?"

 

"No."

 

I didn't need to read his expression to know he wasn't convinced at all.