Chapter 4

Until Whenever

4

LIZZY'S POV

Days had gone by like a blur and before we knew it, it was just a week before the school year ends. My sister will be graduating from middle school and I'm no longer the freshman soon. 

I sighed as I watch Jei studying her outfit infront of the mirror. The girl is going out for late night parties again. I can't stop her even if I wanted too, she grew up being a brat and her fame is taking a toll on how she handles herself.

"You should come with us" she mumbles as she fix her make-up, biting her lip as she concentrates on applying mascara on her eyelashes.

As if she doesn't know I'm the type who rather stays at home drowning herself in a mountain of books than go out and let myself loose in front of people I don't even know.

"Tao's coming. Infact, a lot of highschoolers are coming too" 

"Just come home safe okay?" 

"You're such a party killer, aren't you? When will you stop being such a bookworm and have fun?" 

Because I know I won't fit it in, I mentally thought, looking at Jei with a little jealousy. Maybe I became this timid because I was insecure of my own sister. Maybe if I was born with a face similar to her, maybe, just maybe I'll become more confident of myself.

"I'm going to use your bike" she warns, caughting me off guard for a second.

I just got my scooter back from the repair shop and I won't let her break my baby again.

"You know I'll still use it even if you say no" 

I contemplated for a moment.

If I don't go, my precious scooter will never make it home unscathed.

If I do go, I'll be surrounded by people I don't know and maybe I'll get out of place. But my bike will be handled with the utmost care.

So yeah, the latter. I can take myself the party, no matter how messy it would be, maybe I'll find something to do there. It's for the best than risking my bike and spend half of my allowance on repair again.

 


The party was a mess. The poolside was crowded with highschoolers. The music was so loud I can't even hear Jei screaming her lungs out at me telling me to have fun before she disappeared somewhere. I don't know where to go so I decided I should sit at the deserted part of the yard.

I realized my sister lied when she said Tao would be here. There's no sign of the jerk and he wasn't responding to my messages.

I wanted to go home, but I'm worried about Jei.

I jumped out of my seat when the music stopped and everybody else was screaming at something. A fight maybe, or so I thought.

I ran out, my head filled with just finding Jei and get out of trouble. But then somebody started to talk, the speaker was too loud that everybody became silent except for the person behind the mic.

I tiptoed, trying to see what was really going on before I froze at the sight of Tao on the table.

"Okay, truth or dare?" The guy asks Tao.

"Dare" he answers, looking brave.

"Okay, kiss the person you're in love with right now"

For a second he didn't move. But as I process everything in my mind, there he was,  looking at me, his stare lingered for a moment and for a second I was sure he'd be coming my way. But then he looked away, embarassed of what he was supposed to do.

"Hazel Chu! Hazel Chu!" The loud chant surrounds my ears.

"Are you not going to do it?" Tao's face looks flushed, but he managed to calm himself.

"Where is she?" He asks, looking for someone in the crowd and was trying not to look my way.

"Hazel Chu, Zitao is looking for you!" The guy yells and everybody followed.

Everything suddenly came down upon me.
Who is Hazel Chu?
Why do I knew nothing about this?
Why- I gave up, looking for answers I can't even get.

Then there she was. I saw somebody walk in front of Tao, shyly smiling as she approaches him.
I didn't know why, but I can't take it. The air was too hard to breathe and I end up running out of the house, thinking of what could happen when I watch the scene unfolds.

"Lizzy!" I heard somebody shouts before I could even start my scooter.

"Jei" I whispered, my strength drained.

"I-I'm sorry" she stutters as she hugs me tightly. I didn't know when but somewhere in between my escape, I began to unconsciously cry until Jei came and I realized what was happening. I cried harder as I think about it.

Tao doesn't like me.
I'm so out of his league.
Maybe I'm just trying too hard for him.