Chapter 3

Until Whenever

Tao's Point of View

I've known Lizzy for so long, she has been my best friend since I was 8 when they decided to moved to Qingdao for six years, under the care of their grandma. They then decided to move back in Beijing because their parents think that it would be better for them to start studying on a better environment. And after middle school, mom also decided to send me in Beijing to study, but Lizzy and I don't go to the same school. I entered an all-boys school while Lizzy enrolled in a all-girls school.

But that's alright, as long as I can see her all the time.

"I didn't know, mom suddenly called and she said she already booked me a flight" I explained, the girl called me at 6:30 in the morning just to ask me why I broke the plan.

"I told you, if you were not too stubborn when I said I can talk to her over the phone then this wouldn't happen, you're unbelievable"

"It's just a one day difference, already missing me?"

"Duh, I'm just worried on who will carry our baggage"

 

"You're a jerk, really" she whines as we got into the taxi, she and Jei had just arrived from China and this girl can't get over what had happened. "You're really unfair" she added.
She really holds grudges for so long. Well, until you make up to it. She's really that kind of girl. But she's sweet, she knows not to cross the line when we bicker about trivial things.

The moment we got home, she immediately went straight to her mom, throwing tantrums about how her younger sister broke her scooter. Her chubby cheeks fuming and she even kicks the table foot to let out her frustration. Cute though.

She fell asleep after showering, I just stayed on her side. I remember her talking about becoming an actress someday and how she would work with her father on the field when we were younger. She really wants to join the entertainment industry, just like her mom and dad. But as she became serious on her study, she really totally forgot about it. 

Then there's me, the son of of a real state agent and an engineer. Despite all of my parent's dream for me, I wanted to be a singer, or something in the line. No didn't thought of that idea because Lizzy wanted it, but because I genuinely dream of becoming like it.

But whatever the future would hold us, I can accept it, as long as I have Lizzy on my side to accompany me. On the contrary, I can say her life is messier than mine. Having her sister as a headache and she's also running for first place on her school.

And this is the only time she can take a break from everything she's thinking back in Beijing. Thank God for our families tradition on celebrating New Year's Eve for years, it's always a good year ahead of us. And Qingdao is a quiet place, this really gives you a sense of calmness.


Shortly after she woke up, she decided to go out and drag me to the market nearby. Good thing it's just a bike away, and the weather was fine. And to be honest, I need to buy something good to wear too.
"Does this look good on me" she shyly came out of the dressing room, wearing a blue-ruffled dress.
"Nope, but that would be better if it's in sky-blue" I suggested
"Do you have a lighter color of this dress?" She politely asks the saleslady which gestured her to wait and after a while she came back with a pastel blue-colored dress.
"This is the only available color ma'am" 
"Try that one" I mumbled, fumbling on my phone and I heard her mutter a small "okay" before I heard the door shut close.

"Hey" I heard someone whisper, and I saw Lizzy's head poking out of the door.
"Just show how it looks, I also need to buy mine for tonighy" she just looks at me shyly.
"Don't tell me you're embarrassed, I've seen you in a more ridiculous outfit" I argued. She then went out, the dress was a bit shorter than I thought it would be.
"Is it okay?"
"You'll definitely earn a boyfriend with that" I teased.
"Funny" she whispers.
"Just buy that one, I need to buy mine too"
"Okay I'll take this" I heard her say, I stood up and grab my bagpack.
"I'll wait outside" I announced. 

She's pretty, I thought, smiling as I walk out of the shop.