Payback.

Second Lead Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We're going to get engaged after three days, Byun Baekhyun. And this time, I'm not letting you leave me."

 

Baekhyun stopped for a moment, before his jaw clenched tightly.  "I really don't know, neither do I care what your actual motive is. But once I gather any proof of your real occupation, my mother herself is going to kick you out of my life."  On the verge of yelling at her for still using fake promises - or at least he thought there was an indirect promise, he let out through his clenched teeth. 

Sunhee gave him an almost blank look for a second, then she morphed back into her confident self,  "Of course, I will be waiting for that day!" She muttered sarcastically, not even a bit worried about his blatant threat. 

The male looked like he would either break something at her head, or he would start throwing things here and there out of rage at her audacity. Sighing loudly, he stood up, his palms slamming the surface of the table, earning a few curious or disturbed gazes from people around them. "I will also be waiting for that day. But for now," he suddenly started leaning closer, not providing any moment for the girl to turn her face away or shove his aside, "...let's see how you can survive from here."  He spoke with a dark smirk, finally leaning back - allowing her to breath without having his face this close.  

Sunhee gave him a genuine uncertain look, her fast mind somehow lagging behind in grasping the exact indication behind his words,  "What survival are you talking about?"

Baekhyun continued to smirk darkly, while he gestured something with his hand in the air. Soon, one of the waiters was standing before him. "Bring the bill." 

The waiter bowed and left to do as told, within a minute, the bill was sitting on the table.  

"This ma'am will pay the bill. Thank you." The male told the waiter before leaving Sunhee to sit there like a dumbstruck woman.  

"Hey! You are kidding, aren't you?" Sunhee chuckled in bafflement and called after him, "Byun Baekhyun! Yahh!" But her shouts were to no avail. He had already left the restaurant. 

 Turning back towards the table top, she scrambled through to check the bill amount, her eyes rounded and mouth dried at the very moment.  "This son of a !"  She hissed under her breath. How could simple food - okay, not merely simple food, but that's not her point - cost this much? The amount would easily equal to three to four of her highest paid photoshoot salary altogether, or the whole amount she could gather if her target would be the biggest fool.  

"Excuse me, Miss, you look troubled! May I help you?" A calm and professional voice grabbed Sunhee's attention away from the paper of bill. 

Turning her head to her right, she found a neatly suited guy, tall and fit, looking exactly like he belonged to that part of society which she loathed the most, but interacted the most as well.  "I... nothing. I can handle it on my own." She turned down his offer of hearing her issue. Under any other situation, she probably would've started measuring her chances to make him her target, but right now, her mind was way too occupied in the ways she could make Baekhyun pay for bringing this situation upon her. Moreover, the guy didn't look like an idiot, so even if she wanted, she wouldn't have made him her target anyway. Not looking at the male anymore, she tried to calm herself down from her raging horses, and started thinking of a solution.

"But you look like you're abandoned by your boyfriend-" The guy again tried but stopped when Sunhee sent an incredulous glare at his way. He raised his palms in a surrendering manner, although he kept standing there, much to her disapproval.

Finding no other way, Sunhee dialed the number of the only name she could think of for seeking help, her close and frankly only friend - Seulgi.  "I need cash. I've sent you a picture, get that amount of cash from my closet locker and reach the restaurant as soon as possible."  She spoke in indications, because it was uncomfortable to speak out details when someone unwanted was breathing down her neck. Since the restaurant name was printed atop of the bill, she figured Seulgi wouldn't face any problem in searching for it.

Sunhee waited as the girl on the other line checked the picture, and she cringed when Seulgi let out a loud curse. "Sunny, what the ? I need you to tell me what sort of bull task you're up to? Did you feed a whole building of people or what?" The girl demanded strictly. Even though Seulgi was technically a year younger than her, the younger girl had always been the more mature and level headed one between them, taking care of their shared small apartment and their food like a mother hen. She was the only person in the whole world who knew Sunhee - and Sunny - inside out. So, as much as Sunhee loved her, she also feared her temper whenever she'd be having one.

"I know, Gi, it's too much. I just.... can you please come here first and then inquire me after we settle this down?" She tried to talk a bit nicely, using the affectionate nickname that she knew would make her friend concede sooner.

"Fine, I'll be there in fifteen minutes. Cab charge will be on you!" Like expected, Seulgi finally agreed and Sunhee could already hear the sound of a door opening, perhaps the girl was already in her home's bedroom. 

"Thanks, Gi, you're a lifesaver! Yeah, of course, don't worry about the cab charge, just bring extra bills with you for the cab fare."  Sunhee immediately agreed to whatever condition the girl had threw upon her. She knew that for a working student without any parents like Seulgi, a cab was a luxury that she couldn't afford unless there'd be an extreme emergency. Probably it would be the same for her as well, if she was to stick on the 'good path' and tried to earn her livelihood with utter honesty. Though she still used public transport most of the time- but that's not the point. 

"And you better tell me where the hell have you been staying the whole week, instead of giving me any lame excuses like it's a confidential or something like that. Do we have a deal?" Seulgi definitely used the opportunity to get what she had been wanting to know throughout the whole week. 

Sunhee closed her eyes to heave a sigh, looked like, she would have to finally tell her friend that she was going to get engaged soon. "Deal." 

 

 

                                        ______

 

 

 

Just as promised, Seulgi reached the restaurant within fifteen minutes. From afar, the younger girl looked a bit uncomfortable at all the eyes trailing towards her - since she was in her shabby home clothing, her thick spectacles still hanging on her nose, while her light brown wavy hair flew untamely. To Sunhee, she looked adorable as usual, but she could tell the so-called classy population here were already judging the girl. She felt guilty for having to drag her into such a mean place, where people were judged based on their outer look - just like most of the places in the society. She knew Seulgi was a shy and reserved person,  the younger girl was definitely going to hate all the negative attention on her.

Sunhee hurriedly waved her hands at her friend, catching her attention and gesturing her to go near her. 

"I really hate you for this."  The younger girl grumbled and handed her the envelope of money she had brought.  

"I know, sorry." Sunhee winced, she could be a cold to anyone without even considering their feelings, but Seulgi was an exception.  "I'll get you your favorite ice cream after this?" She tried to placate the softly fuming girl with her offer, utilizing the girl's love for sweet food in her favor.

"Okay. But how did you end up here? And... who is he? Why is he staring at us like that? Is he perhaps.... your new target?"  Seulgi asked the last three questions in whisper while eyeing the very man who had been standing here all along.

Sunhee inwardly groaned at the mention of the unwanted pest, she had been sending him silent glares for god knows how many minutes, but he didn't even falter for a second, only giving her polite smiles.  "I don't know. I don't want to create any scene here, that's why I am tolerating him! Let's just pay the bill and get away from here. I'll tell you everything after we leave this place, hmm?" She quickly summarized and gestured a passing waiter in the same way her current number one enemy had done earlier. 

"Geez, remind me to never step a foot in such a place! I mean, who the hell prices a mineral water bottle that much? We can get two full course meals from convenience stores for that much money!" Seulgi lightly commented while they waited for the waiter to be back with the changes. 

"It's because it is a five star restaurant, Miss." The same guy, now spoke up, answering Seulgi.  "I apologize, I didn't realize our pricing strategy is that overboard. I'd definitely consider this fact in future. Thank you."  He softly bowed at her, causing the girl's face hue with pinkish glow at the handsome man being this polite and sweet towards her, that even in such a place where it was certain that people would be treating her like trash.

"Sorry to ask, but are you the manager of this place?" Finally, unable to hold back her curiosity, Sunhee asked the male, covering her friend from the male's gaze in the process - she had always been protecting over the younger girl, specially if any unknown and wealthy man was the one staring at her. Even though she was annoyed at him for his constant polite stubbornness, she did feel that he held no harm, but that wouldn't stop her from being the protective Sunny she was.

The guy softly chuckled, his eyes constantly going back to Seulgi for some reason, almost peeking over Sunhee's shoulder in the process.  "Well, you can consider me as a part of the management, since I don't like to fully depend on my employees. I'm Kim Jongin, by the way, the owner of this place. And a good friend of the man that has j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter