Eyes on You

The Roommate

It’s been a while since Irene has a peaceful weekend.

No whiny workmate who calls every two hours or so because they didn’t know what to do without Irene around.

No deadline to chase after.

No work is taken home.

Nothing.

“Do I have something on my face?”

Except for her roommate, Sakura, who has been staring at her since they joined together on the kitchen island.

“What?” Sakura asked back between nibbling on her toast.

“You’ve been staring at me.”

“Are you sure I was staring at you?” Sakura leaned forward, groaning when her folded knee poked her chest as she tried to get her coffee mug. Irene pushed the mug closer to Sakura’s side of the island.

“Yeah.”

“I might be looking at the wall behind you, you know?”

Might, but you didn’t deny me so I’m right.”

“Suit yourself.” Sakura shrugged, still not taking her eyes from the older. Silence lapsed over them and Irene tried to ignore Sakura’s piercing stare before she eventually gave up.

“Sakura,” Irene sighed, “don’t you have work to do?”

“You know very well that I don’t.”

“Are you sure? Why don’t you give Wendy a call?”

“Wendy told you last night that her research is finished which means Wendy should be jobless for a couple of days, and so I am because I am a member of Wendy’s team.”

Irene groaned out loud. “I regret recommending you to the company.”

“I know, but everyone loves me so I’m rubbing that to your face.”

Irene shifted her eyes to Sakura’s smug grin, and she too, couldn’t keep herself from smiling.

It’s been a while she had a peaceful weekend. But peaceful or not, she always enjoys the small banter between her and her roommate.

“My time’s up.” Sakura announced, unfolding her legs and climbed off from the barstool. She put her arms high, stretching like a cat then let out a small yawn.

Irene drummed her fingers silently against the marble top, her eyes focused on her book.

She waited.

And waited.

And once Sakura got herself comfortable on her gaming chair in the living room and put on her gaming headphone, then Irene dared herself to move to the couch behind the younger.

Whenever Sakura plays, she’d get so lost in it she wouldn’t realize even if an earthquake hits them.

And of course, she wouldn’t realize how Irene’s eyes never left her as the latter laid comfortably on the couch, watching until her eyes grew heavier and she fell asleep.