Staring Game

The Roommate

Winter came earlier this year and the lowest temperature had to hit on the weekend, tempting everyone to stay home bundled between warm blankets and soft mattresses. Irene and Sakura weren’t an exception.

Irene let out a warm puff of breath, drawing mist just in front of her lips. The action, however, intrigued her as she kept doing that over and over. Her hot chocolate left forgotten on the coffee table.

On the other end of the couch, Sakura sat with her knees folded up, back hunching against the corner like a small cat while her fingers danced skillfully across her Switch. The occasional grunts from Sakura were their music as Irene enjoyed her weekend doing nothing than lazying around the couch.

“Yeah!” Sakura pumped her fist in the air, dropping her Switch to her lap as she did a victorious pose. Her comical expression, however, was funny to Irene’s eyes and the older couldn’t stop the giggles spilling past her lips.

“Finally?”

“Finally!” Sakura answered with confidence of a world war hero, puffing her chest out before falling back to her earlier cat position. “I’m hungry.”

Irene shook her head, “You’ve been playing that since this morning. Of course, you would.”

Sakura glanced at the clock and grimaced at the number; it was way past lunch. “Have you eaten lunch?” She asked.

“Not yet. But the cold makes me so lazy to leave the couch.”

Sakura bit her lips. The words ‘Me too’ sit at the tip of her lips, waiting to be said, but Sakura didn’t say them. Instead, she kept staring at the older girl who decided to finally finish her not-so-hot-anymore hot chocolate.

Irene caught her message and her lips turned to a smirk, her eyebrows wagging annoyingly at the younger.

“Let me remind you that I won last time,” Sakura warned, though deep down her motivation crumbled bit by bit looking at Irene’s competitive eyes.

“Yeah, once after so many games.” Irene mocked, closing her eyes. Sakura saw the chance and threw a mocking punch toward her, though she would never dare to do it if the older were to open her eyes.

“One, two,...” Irene counted, forcing Sakura to ready herself. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“...three.”

Sakura opened her eyes, and dear goddess she heard Red Velvet singing Would You when she met Irene’s gaze.

Soft, warm, Sakura didn’t know which word that could describe Irene’s gaze perfectly. All she knew is that from Irene’s eyes she saw a wedding arch, a sea of white flowers, smiling faces congratulating her…

...and when she put up her bride’s veil, Irene’s smile greeted her.

Sakura felt her heart drop.

And so her eyelids.

“You lose!” Irene pointed, too excited over her winning the game though Sakura was too taken aback to care.

“Shoo! I want tteokbokki!” Irene shushed her off the couch, her grin never left her lips as she watched Sakura staggering into the kitchen like a zombie.

Once she felt the coldness of the kitchen island against her palm, Sakura is finally back to her senses and she let out a long, silent scream and her hands clutched tight against her chest.

Sakura spent five minutes long to calm down her racing heart before continuing her task to cook lunch for the two of them.

While Irene spent the whole time staring blankly into the window while her face boils red like an octopus.