A New Place

The Roommate

"I think I'm going to look for a new apartment."

Irene said one day, out of the blue, without any hint whatsoever, and that surprised Sakura.

"Did I do something wrong?" Sakura asked herself aloud, eyes roaming the high ceiling of Eunbi-Chaeyeon's shared apartment with a worried look, "I think I did. But what?"

Chaeyeon sat on the lounger across the Japanese, ears listening in silence while her eyes shifted between the pages of the magazine in her hand. And Eunbi? She left for the kitchen after she decided to ignore Sakura who kept ignoring her suggestion. Eunbi knew her cousin so well that she believed Sakura must be overthinking. Unfortunately, Sakura thought otherwise.

"Screw this. I'm going to the convenience store." Eunbi gave up, climbing off the barstool then turned to the two, "Do you want to come with me?"

"I'm coming!" Chaeyeon dropped her magazine, sprinting toward the older in a heartbeat as if Sakura wafted poisonous air that she might die if she stays around the Japanese any longer.

Sakura waved her hand in the air, not bothering to look at the two, "Get me gummy jellies."

"Yeah, yeah, of course." Eunbi shook her head, dragging Chaeyeon who was more than eager to leave their own apartment to the door.

Sakura let out a long sigh upon hearing the front door closed, her mind going full-speed to her earlier worry about Irene looking for a new apartment. Maybe Irene had enough of her being noisy while playing games? Or maybe her PC took up too much space? Or maybe that one time Sakura turned off Irene's alarm because the latter looked so tired that Sakura thought she should rest longer?

Her mind was going haywire that she didn't realize the front door opened. Only when she heard footsteps coming to her way that she frowned. "That was quick. Did you get my jellies?"

"I got your favorite flavor and banana too because they were on sale."

Sakura whipped her neck so fast that she was afraid she might have broken them, or she might have but she didn't care because all her attention was focused on the woman standing next to the couch she laid on. "Irene unnie?" She squeaked.

Irene dropped down to the carpet, rummaging her bag and took out various brochures from inside. Sakura watched with a frown as the older spread the brochures on the coffee table.

"What are you doing here, unnie?"

"What are you doing here?" Irene asked back, emphasizing the word 'you' as she looked up at the younger.

"I...uh..."

"I've been waiting for you for days because I have something to tell you, but since you decided to avoid me I thought I should come and catch you."

"I'm not running away..."

"Yes, you are." Irene narrowed her eyes, watching as Sakura slumped her shoulder in defeat and she finally smiled. She turned back to the brochures on the table. "So I told you I'm looking for a new apartment, now help me decide which one is better. I was thinking about this one," Irene pointed at a brochure, "it has three bedrooms which you can use one for your gaming room, but it's quite far from the lab. This one is closer to the lab but the neighborhood is quite noisy so I don't think it's good. Here, take a look at them."

Sakura received the brochures with confused eyes, shifting her eyes between the papers and designs before she finally stopped. "Wait - what?"

"Wait what what?" Irene asked back with innocent eyes.

"Aren't you looking for a new apartment?"

"I've been telling you that. Yes."

"Then why do you ask my help?"

"Because we're going to live together. Or do you want to leave all decisions to me? I don't mind if that's what you want."

Sakura blinked at Irene, the pieces in her head finally starting to fit together into a clear picture. We're moving to a new apartment together. She dropped the brochures and facepalmed, groaning out loud as she felt the fatigues leaving her body. "Unnie..."

"What? Do you think I want to move out without you?"

"Of course! Anyone will think the same thing as me if you tell them 'I'm going to look for a new apartment'! Oh my god, I was worried for days for nothing!"

"Well, That's your fault for avoiding me."

"I...ugh..." Sakura groaned again, "I hate you, unnie!"

"I love you too." Irene grinned, tapping Sakura's knee as she eagerly picked up the brochures on the floor. "Come on, let's check them out! Oh, what do you think about this? This has two bedrooms but you can use the bigger one for your bedroom and gaming room, and the kitchen is so cool! I think this one suits you!"