Knocking on Sakura's Wall

The Roommate

It’s been two weeks since Sakura moved into her apartment by Eunbi’s recommendation. Her younger cousin said that Sakura is everything Irene needs for a roommate, and so far the japanese had met her expectations...

Except Sakura has been addressing her so formally that it made Irene uncomfortable.

“Give her time, unnie.” Eunbi told her over the phone followed by a chuckle, “I thought you two would hit it off right away because you two are a pair of introverts.”

Irene rolled her eyes.

“You and your brain of unicorns.”

“Hey!”

“How did it go with you?”

“I bared my self to her.”

“What?!”

Eunbi’s laugh roared over the phone, “I meant what I said. She accidentally stepped in when I was changing, and I kinda forced her to take her clothes off just to be fair.”

“I can’t believe you.”

“Well, the real story wasn’t exactly like that, but I wouldn’t tell you. You’ll need to find a way yourself to get her to open up with you.” Eunbi’s tone turned serious then she continued, “I thought you know this better because Sakura also asked me the same thing.”

Irene didn’t remember the rest of the call because Eunbi’s words kept echoing in her mind. Did Sakura also worry about the same thing like her? That it’ has been two weeks but Irene hasn’t opened up to her yet?

Irene pulled her knees closer against her chest, her eyes unfocused between a pot of small cactus on the coffee table and a penguin plushie beside the television. The coffee maker dinged from the kitchen, pulling Irene back from her trance.

She stood up and was about to leave to the kitchen when a ruckus happened on the door. Irene turned her head in time to see Sakura throwing herself to the foyer floor, her legs blocking the door from closing.

Siren blasted off in Irene’s head and she sprinted to Sakura’s side, studying the younger who had her arms crossed tightly over her chest while breathing heavily.

“Sakura!” Irene called with worry, “Are you okay?!”

Sakura glanced at Irene through her lidded eyes, taking her time to sort her mind. Irene put her hand on the younger’s shoulder and after waiting for a while, she turned her head to her phone somewhere in the living room.

“Should I call Eunbi?”

“No!”

Irene was startled that she fell on her . It was the loudest Sakura ever speak to her and Irene couldn’t help but frown.

“What’s wrong?”

Sakura took two difficult breath before answering, “Panic…attack...”

“Okay,” Irene nodded, having realized the situation and she scooted forward to sit on her folded legs, “lay on your back.”

Sakura followed the instruction meekly, her arms still crossed even after Irene pulled her legs to the side so she could close the door. Once Irene got the younger in a more comfortable position, she put her hand over the younger’s and eyed her.

“Do you have your prescription?”

Sakura shook her head no, which Irene instantly frowned upon but decided to put that aside for the time being.

Irene laid down beside the japanese and put an arm over Sakura’s still crossed pair, watching her closely then whispered, “Take a deep breath, Sakura.”

Sakura did as she was told.

“Breathe in.”

“Breathe out.”

“In.”

“Out.”

Irene guided the younger carefully, still watching for any small change on the latter, and sighed in relief when Sakura finally uncrossed her arms. She kept guiding the younger and eventually, after numerous deep breaths Sakura finally calmed down.

Though how did they end up hugging each other, Irene had no idea.

“Thank you, unnie.” Sakura mumbled against her collarbone, catching Irene off guard because it was the first time Sakura ever addressed her that.

Irene didn’t answer and instead, she pulled the younger closer against her.

Laying down on the cold, hard floor of their foyer was anything but comfortable, but Irene it up if it what it takes to get the younger to open up to her.