Polite Hunger

the sky coating your lips

Every country needed a ruler. Humans were chaotic, selfish, and not particularly intelligent, after all.

That's what they had the royal family for.

Still, from small farms to huge corporations and cities, leaders were needed everywhere, and close to their areas, too. Their subordinates, on the other hand, had to submit and trust them to act with everyone's well-being in mind. That's why it would only be fair for them to choose their leader.

That's how Chanyeol saw it, and that made him a reformist.
Because while this might apply to the heads of corporations and even some minor towns, nobody could choose to serve a noble. It was simply something commoners did. Nobles were their landlords, for no other reason than being born into the right family. Sure, they were educated within these elite circles in order to properly reign over their land... but there was never a guarantee that they'd be good rulers, or have the public's well-being at heart at all.

Nobles were above citizens, living in lavish mansions and holding dinner parties to solidify their status and  show off their riches.
Nobles were playing a game of status and influence, acting out a play where regular people wouldn't even classify as dust on the stage.
Nobles talked differently, dressed differently, and their nails were always perfectly manicured.

Among these noble families, however, five houses stood above the rest. Five families had all but split the country between them, swearing loyalty to none other than the throne.

The Kim family didn't have the largest chunk of land - though they weren't far behind - but most influential cities fell into their territory, making them the most influential family after the royal family. Chanyeol's home town, Roer, may belong to another's territory, but everyone had heard about the rather harsh reign the Kims had over the heart of the country. The duke wasn't known to be cruel, per sé, but that didn't mean he was kind, either. He definitely prioritized his own position and liked to remind people of their place, not unlike a police officer training his dog.

Disgusting. Everything about nobles was disgusting.

Chanyeol sullenly stared at the ceiling, refusing to get out of bed despite the soft clattering and sounds of people talking downstairs.

Of all the nobles in the country, why did he have to live right next to the youngest son of the Kims? That guy was basically a celebrity, so what business did he have, rooming with some random commoners like them? Was this a game to him?

No , Chanyeol thought, throwing his blanket off to sit up in one, rapid movement.

This prick would not ruin his experience attending this academy. He'd studied like crazy and he'd jumped in joy when he received the acceptance letter. He could still see the proud expression on his parents’ faces when he’d told them. They had fully expected for him to stay in their home town and enroll at Roer’s technical university - which had been very tempting - but Chanyeol had instead chosen to secretly apply for the famed, and much more balanced Red Sun Academy. It was rather military-focused, but also offered a solid education in the field of politics and technology. Graduating from RS Academy was said to open doors, and Chanyeol wanted to see what the world had to offer before choosing a direction to pour his passion into.

And while his room was really nice, there was only so much to see in it, so he finally peeled himself out of his pajamas, putting on his uniform for the first time. It looked really neat with the white dress shirt, slim tie and the double-ed suit. Chanyeol had to admit that he wasn't a huge fan of the color - a deep, olive green that clashed with his red hair - but all in all, he felt like a proper student already.

"Okay," he hummed, looking at himself in the mirror as he buttoned up the jacket. "You can do this. This will be great."

Seeing as there were no lessons just yet, he could skip the bag and leave his room just like that. Directly across his room was Jongdae's, and Chanyeol wasn't above halfheartedly glaring at the closed door before padding downstairs.

The kitchen was very spacious, with a long table taking up most of the room. With only such few people, they had apparently come to the mutual understanding of dining at the end closest to the kitchen itself. Yifan was currently sitting there, somehow looking even more intimidating in the green uniform, while Jongin looked half-asleep still, silently munching on a bread roll. He only looked up when Chanyeol slid into the chair next to him.

"Morning," Chanyeol smiled, feeling more awake already after seeing those two familiar and (partially) friendly faces.

"Good morning," another calm voice chimed in as a plate was being placed before Chanyeol with a soft clutter.

He looked up, the response stuck in his throat when he saw Yixing. The other wasn't wearing his jacket yet, but his expensive-looking dress shirt and blindingly white pair of pants as well as the elegant, lavender-colored cravat gave him away.

This was definitely not the uniform of a commoner.

Chanyeol felt the heat rise to his face immediately.

"You're- a noble? " he burst out, torn between utter disbelief and embarrassment over all the things he'd said out loud the day before. "No way..."

Yixing only smiled.

"My father is but a humble baron. We were never the type to live extravagantly."

"You did seem very well-mannered to me," Jongin only commented casually, ripping another chunk out of his bread to dip it into a red paste.

"Why thank you. I'm trying," Yixing replied lightly, an almost playful smile dancing on his lips.

Chanyeol was still waiting for the ground to swallow him whole. Since that wasn't an option though, and because he may be a coward, but he could still tell right from wrong, he got to his feet.

"Yixing," he began, a little too loud, probably. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean-"

"Don't worry about it," Yixing cut him off, offering him a plate with scrambled eggs. "Would you like some egg along with your bread?"

Chanyeol stared at the plate. It looked and smelled divine, and wow, he really was hungry.

He shook his head.

"Look, I really-"

"Great," Yixing chirped, placing the plate down. "Quick, it's still hot."

And like this, Chanyeol sank back into his chair, quietly munching on his homemade eggs like a scolded child. He swore to himself to catch Yixing another time, to properly apologize.

While he might have a passionate scorn for nobles, Yixing had been kind to him, and now he'd even taken the time to prepare breakfast for them. Chanyeol had been dead set in his belief that nobles were useless in the kitchen, and yet the eggs he was currently trying hard not to scarf down were nothing short of delicious.

"I hope it's not too bland," Yixing began conversationally, finally taking a seat with his own food. "I had to make due with what I bought yesterday."

Chanyeol vigorously shook his head.

"What are you saying, these are great!"

Whatever reply Yixing had on his tongue slipped away as soon as Jongdae entered the room, dressed to the nines, with his uniform neatly buttoned up and almost blindingly white in their rustique kitchen.

"Oh, good morning Jongdae," Yixing smiled, and Jongin shot him a curt, casual "Morning," of his own. Heck, even Yifan gave him a nod. Chanyeol resolutely stared at his plate, stabbing his next piece of egg a little too aggressively.

"Good morning," Jongdae replied, and the three syllables were enough to annoy Chanyeol. There was really no reason to sound so arrogant and distant when greeting your fellow housemates, and at such an early time at that.

Meanwhile Yixing had jumped to his feet yet again, already bustling behind the kitchen counter.

"I made scrambled eggs and cut some vegetables," he hummed. "Nothing fancy, but I guess it will do. Would you like some?"

Jongdae actually paused, looking at Yixing and the food in his hands. There was something strangely akin to hesitation in his face - not that Chanyeol was looking - but ultimately, he shook his head.

"I appreciate the offer but no, thank you."

"With how little we ate last night, we should really replenish our energy today," Yixing insisted gently, falling into the curious, noble habit of talking in plural.

Jongdae's shoulders drew up a little at this, and he took a step back.

"I said no, thank you ."

"And why is that?" Chanyeol piped up, temper flaring up at the other's tone. "You think his food isn't good enough for you?"

Jongdae's eyes narrowed.

"I do not think I heard anyone asking for your opinion?"

Chanyeol saw Yifan silently get up to leave, but he was too far in already to even consider backing down.

"Yixing was kind enough to prepare us food and you deny his offer? For what? Not like a spoiled noble son like you would do a better job - can you even make a sandwich?"

By the way Jongdae's eyebrows rose just a little and his lips parted in disbelief, Chanyeol knew he'd struck a nerve - and man, didn't that feel good.

It didn't last long, however.

"I guess you wouldn't need any expertise in the kitchen despite lacking in maids," Jongdae huffed, every word icy and sharp. "Considering your presence alone is enough to ruin anyone's appetite."

It was Chanyeol's time to gape, and by the time he barked "Speak for yourself-" Jongdae had already left the kitchen.

Fuming, Chanyeol leaned back in his chair.

"What a jerk."

To further fuel his rightful anger, Yixing seemed completely unoffended.

"Don't be so harsh on him."

"Don't defend him now," Chanyeol whined, but Yixing was still wearing this small smile of his.

"He probably rejected the offer because he felt like he had to."

"Because you're of the same social class as him?" Jongin asked, somehow managing to look thoughtful while peeling an orange.

"Yes and no," Yixing patiently explained, stirring his coffee. "I'm barely worth mentioning compared to him. Now what would it look like if someone of Jongdae's rank would accept a favour by someone like me, who he barely even knows?"

"Wouldn't it mean that you accept your lower social rank and serve him?"

At Chanyeol's scandalized look, Jongin grimaced.

"I didn’t mean it like that, just... in theory. I'm trying to understand the problem here."

"And you're right," Yixing confirmed, somehow happy about the other's thought process. "But who is to say that it's not indebting him instead? It's quite the responsibility that can originate from such acts of kindness. Nobles need to be very careful when it comes to owing people favours. You never know what shape they will take on, or who you want to even associate with."

" It was just breakfast ," Chanyeol broke out. "Amazing breakfast, yes, but breakfast nonetheless! Why make such a big deal out of it?"

"As a son of the Kims, I'm sure he prefers to be on the safe side," Yixing hummed. "After all, he barely knows me. Don't worry too much about it, however. We'll have to come up with a proper cooking and cleaning schedule, anyway, and then there will be no more reason for awkwardness."

After that, the other two engaged in a conversation about fried eggs, graciously ignoring Chanyeol's grumbles about how ridiculous all of this was.

That's why nobles are stupid , Chanyeol thought, chewing on his bread a little more forcefully.


 

_______________



 

While the two main dorms were close to the academy, the third dorm was located at the end of the tiny town sitting comfortably at the feet of the academy. It might make their way to the academy slightly longer, but Chanyeol wouldn't have it any other way. The town was cozy and full of friendly people who seemed to embrace the hustle and bustle of a new school year starting. With this being the last free day for awhile and with no schedules on hand, Chanyeol took it upon himself to explore every nook and cranny of the town. He walked past the small river and the church, and took some time to play with the huge, fluffy dog of the head sister. He also familiarized himself with the shops, from the florist to the bookstore, from a small, hidden bakery to the shady-looking thrift store he instantly fell in love with.

So engrossed in exploring, Chanyeol only remembered to grab his schedules when the sun was low on the sky already.

With a muttered curse on his lips, he made his way to the student council building, only stopping in his tracks when he saw a flash of white from the corner of his vision. Quite a few noble students were roaming the town, so Chanyeol could only blame it on coincidence that he'd even noticed. But down at the small pier - almost perfectly hidden from any passerby's sight - sat Jongdae on a bench, staring into the river, water reflections dancing at his feet.

Chanyeol's first instinct was to be annoyed, the second to be curious. But Jongdae didn't seem to do anything but sit there.

For a few, long seconds, Chanyeol stared at him.

Had he eaten by now?
Probably... right?

He shook the thought off, internally scolded himself and left. Why should he care? If Jongdae went into standby as soon as there was nobody around him to mess with, that was not Chanyeol's problem. Unlike him, he had plenty of things to do. Like... gathering his schedules for example.

 


 

"There you... go!"

"Thanks," Chanyeol beamed, looking down at his schedule, only to hesitate.

"Uhm. I don’t think that’s my schedule."

"Oh?"

The student council president - a ruffled-looking, young man who had introduced himself as Junmyeon - comically turned his head to peer down at Chanyeol's paper.

"Right," he said slowly, brows furrowing as he went back to rummaging through the piles of paper on his desk.

Chanyeol kept on a polite face, trying not to judge him.

"I swear it was right around... here! There, this should be it."

Grateful, Chanyeol took his schedule, attempting to return the initial piece of paper, but Junmyeon made no move to take it.

"Ah, would you mind doing me a favour and deliver that one? It's the last one, actually, and you two live in the same dorm, anyway, right?"

Denying the student council president wasn't really an option and Junmyeon was so apologetic about it that Chanyeol bit his lips and nodded before he knew it.

"Of course."

The relief on the other's face told him that he'd made the right decision.

"Great! That means I can move to the conference room now," Junmyeon rattled down. "There's still a lot of organizing to do regarding the open club Saturday. Did you decide on a club already?"

Chanyeol shook his head, which was all the response the other waited for.

"It's alright, there's still a week left until you get to pay them all a visit. I'm sure you'll find a good one - but if not, the student council is always hiring!"

"I'll- think about it," Chanyeol stammered, and Junmyeon smiled widely.

"Great. Good luck on your first week and don't hesitate to stop by if anything's bothering you - see you!"

Just like that, Chanyeol found himself outside of the other's office, blankly staring at nothing as his brain tried to progress the past minute.
How had he gotten from the other's desk to the hallway again?

Chanyeol blinked and slowly shook his head.

Whatever that had been, he made a mental note not to join the student council. That guy seemed like the human incarnation of caffeine - active, friendly and possibly a little manic.

He closed his eyes, but that didn't make the paper in his hand disappear. Something about it seemed oddly mocking to him.

Why couldn't Jongdae get his own schedule, anyway? Had he assumed someone would deliver it to him?

Chanyeol angrily stared at the paper, only to fold it in half almost vengefully, stuffing it in his pocket and hoping it would get all wrinkled. So what if he was petty?

Luckily enough, Jongdae was still sitting by the pier. Chanyeol stared down at him for a moment, trying to come up with a haughty, wordy comment to really show him up. Jongdae didn't look up at all, and despite his seemingly elegant, relaxed posture, his hand was balled to a fist on the bench.

Chanyeol stared at him, willing down the blossoming, intrusive thoughts.

He would most certainly not care.

It would be ridiculous to care.

Jongdae wouldn't thank him, and honestly? He deserved to suffer for being so rude to Yixing. 

He really did.

Chanyeol knew that.

...and yet he his heels with an exasperated groan.

 

A few minutes later, he all but stomped down the stairs. Jongdae went from looking startled to sighing in annoyance. For once, Chanyeol was inclined to agree with him.

"Your schedule," he snapped curtly, shoving both said schedule and a paper bag into the other's face. Irritated, Jongdae leaned back even as he took the two objects.

"I don't remember asking you to play delivery boy for me."

"Well, good for you," Chanyeol countered, mimicking his exasperation, "because if you did, you'd not have your stupid schedule right now. When were you planning on getting it? At midnight? The student council president isn't living in that office, you know?"

Jongdae shot him a look, a tick of confusion cracking through the unpleasant atmosphere. It passed in the blink of an eye though.

"And how would this be related to my schedule?" Jongdae inquired, frowning at the two chocolate rolls inside the paper bag.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

"Just take it."

He saw the way Jongdae's nose turned up in what was probably distaste.

"You're the last person in this entire town to make a pity gift-" he began, but Chanyeol wouldn't have it.

"Well, jokes on you, cause I didn't buy those!"

The statement came out loud and oddly unfinished, but Chanyeol soldiered on, because what other choice did he have?

"The one who got them was- Jongin."

Jongdae shot him a long look, but Chanyeol wasn't deterred, voice growing more confident now that he'd found a solid excuse.

"Jongin must have felt sorry for you," he rambled on. "And since the cafeteria is still closed today, this was all he could think of. You should just it up and accept his nice gesture, at least. Or, you know what? Throw them out, for all I care. I wouldn't even be surprised."

For a full five seconds, they had a silent staring contest...

...until Jongde gave in first with an irritated sigh.

 

"Just- just go and be obnoxious elsewhere," he breathed out, averting his gaze to stubbornly look into the river again.

 

"I will," Chanyeol announced as snippily as he could. "Seeing as I'm no match for you in that regard. Might as well give up on trying."

 

He took two stairs at once, walking back to the dorm without looking back even once.


 



 

He waited until the next morning to discreetly ask Jongin whether Jongdae had approached him about anything. Jongin only tilted his head in question, silently shaking his head.

Chanyeol didn't know what to make of it.
Or what to feel about it, for that matter.

 

 


 

 

woops, sorry if this was very exposition-heavy. It had to be conveyed sooner rather than later *haha*

Love you all,
Sugary

P.S.: I have yet to find anyone familiar with these games but I'll still put up the disclaimer that I tweaked a few things to suit this story *lol*